British Speedway Forum
Sign in to follow this  
Baldyman

Lakeside v ipswich

Like city rebel i have never seen a good meeting at Ipswich in the 60+ yrs of involvement with Speedway ...But then again my visits are only occasional..No track has great racing every night including Lakeside where i do not miss a meeting,,but mostly i think the racing compares favourably with all the other tracks i have been to in my life.....

• Haha 1

First thing I noticed on getting to the car park was how much fuller it was, it was nice to see the support back to the sort of numbers we have seen in the past, I think Panthers will probably bring a few people next week too, at all helps to strengthen the clubs argument for a right or at least a chance to continue.

• Like 1

58 minutes ago, Steve Irving said:

Couldn’t disagree more. I support neither club but now living in Colchester and recently retired, I visit both quite frequently. 

Ipswich is a much better race track IMO. Having been to both venues Thursday and last night it was night and day. 

Respect your own personal opinion of course. We all have an opinion and what we see. 

I’ve seen Covatti for example pull of moves at Foxhall in recent weeks that he’d never have a chance in hell of pulling off at Lakeside. 

It is his home track so not surprising. I could say the same of Ben Morley for instance at Lakeside.

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, waco said:

Like city rebel i have never seen a good meeting at Ipswich in the 60+ yrs of involvement with Speedway ...But then again my visits are only occasional..No track has great racing every night including Lakeside where i do not miss a meeting,,but mostly i think the racing compares favourably with all the other tracks i have been to in my life.....

I assume you weren’t there on Thursday evening then? Pity, you’d have seen a good meeting (for the first time ever) ;)

• Like 1

46 minutes ago, Steve Irving said:

I assume you weren’t there on Thursday evening then? Pity, you’d have seen a good meeting (for the first time ever) ;)

Reading the updates at the time it looked like 11 of the 15 heats were pretty much from the gate with no passing? I thought that meant it was poor ;)

The trouble with the dust last night was not surprising as Richard Lawson said the track was slicker than usual so they tried to water it early on in the meeting but couldn’t after heat 10 as it would’ve been an ice rink with no material to soak in.

From an away supporters view there was some good racing usually when Nicholls was involved. Nico tried hard but was so wide he had the speed but was probably riding a lap more than anyone else!!!! Mark Riss was consistent 1 point for Edinburgh earlier in the season and 1 for us. Didn’t expect anything from the reserves. As for Heeps the first race summed him up, made the gate and went from first to last as he was tying himself in knots every corner. You would think with losing his wolves job he has to have a long hard look at himself to get back to what he was doing last season.

Lakeside deserved to win as effectively we were a two man team, but we did miss Connor’s double figure score.

3 hours ago, Steve Irving said:

Couldn’t disagree more. I support neither club but now living in Colchester and recently retired, I visit both quite frequently. 

Ipswich is a much better race track IMO. Having been to both venues Thursday and last night it was night and day. 

Respect your own personal opinion of course. We all have an opinion and what we see. 

I’ve seen Covatti for example pull of moves at Foxhall in recent weeks that he’d never have a chance in hell of pulling off at Lakeside. 

It’s horses for courses, surely? There are some riders that perform first/ second bend cut backs at Lakeside that would be difficult at certain other tracks. On the other hand there are riders like Scott Nicholls who has shown in the last couple of days that he is a class act at both tracks at both tracks. That’s what makes the sport so interesting, different riders having different capabilities. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, waco said:

Someone who hasn't been to Belle Vue.

In the 30 meetings I have seen there none has been average (never mind poor) and the overwhelming majority have been outstanding.

Of the 80 meetings I saw last season, 3 of the best 5 were at the NSS.

With regard too how good or bad the racing is at different tracks...One things for sure posters opinions are nearly all biased towards their own tracks ..and I do include myself in that observation......

• Like 3

First visit to Foxhall on Thursday and was really impressed with the venue. Facilities were excellent and many great view points all around the stadium (watched heats from 4 different places). Whilst disappointed in the result racing was ok but with very little passing (Rory did gain a win and a 2nd by passing Lakeside riders on the run to the line on the last lap however). Last night's racing at Lakeside did have the benefit of some cracking heats (Heat 6 Richard holding off a charging Scott for practically the whole race,Zach somehow winning Heat 10 when Coty who was leading throughout seemed to stop Nico from getting 2nd place a number of times ,and Heat 11 with great battles for both 1st and 3rd places throughout).

Scot was excellent in both meetings (though very lucky not to be excluded in Heat 7 at Foxhall) and Rory did a decent job both Home and Away - Richard was brilliant at Foxhall despite maybe running out of steam a bit and a great return by Nick last night after missing a couple of meetings this week from injury. Adam very solid at home as usual. Other than that both nights we had riders looking far stronger at their home tracks  and a large number of FTG heats. 

All in all a very enjoyable couple of meetings.

Edited by ARENA SHRIMPER

1 minute ago, waco said:

With regard too how good or bad the racing is at different tracks...One things for sure posters opinions are nearly all biased towards their own tracks ..and I do include myself in that observation......

Definitely

Perhaps because often the view of a good race is one of their teams riders making a pass which is more likely to happen at their home track

• Like 3

Takes 2 teams to make a good match. You sometimes see an away rider riding poorly and think how do they have a job?  See them on their own patch and you cant believe it's the same rider.

Simon Lambert springs to mind. Same could be said of Connor Mountain but in reverse. Struggles at Foxhall but looked great away from home. 

A win will always rose tint the "great racing " on show

I've seen many great meetings at Monmore but some fans hate the place, never seen a great meeting at Poole or Swindon but some Poole fans especially will say it's the second best track in the country. Always enjoy my visits to both regardless

19 hours ago, waco said:

Unless you don't have a track, that is.

I find that people tend to defend their track from attacks by others rather than say how good it is.

Edited by Halifaxtiger
  • Like 2

2 hours ago, Halifaxtiger said:

Unless you don't have a track, that is.

I find that people tend to defend their track from attacks by others rather than say how good it is.

That’s why I enjoy neutral meetings where you can enjoy the racing for what it is without the pressure of wanting your team to win.  Very difficult to judge a meeting impartially when your team are riding.