British Speedway Forum
Sign in to follow this  
Argos

Birmingham v Kent

Guest GiveusaB

A very tense/tight, nip and tuck meeting!

I think lady luck was on Kent's side last night ? (although Anders Rowe performed above and beyond.....imo)

Tom Bacon's No.1 bike gave up before the meeting had even started and he soon learnt that his 2nd bike is nowhere near quick enough !?

Drew Kemp was 'sensational', as was James Shanes in Heat 15 when passing and re-passing Ellis Perks!

Dan Greenwood was disappointing once again.....have to say I'm glad it was his last meeting....Danyon back next week!

And.....yet again the manager is totally clueless when using the 'reserve rider' facility, ???....I know I'm not the only supporter to notice this ineptness !

It was a decent meeting and not one re-run which was pleasing !

Sounds like a fair result in the end? Bacon under performed from Brum and likewise Hampshire below par for Kent. Important points picked up by reserves on both sides levelled it in the end and i doubt either side will be too unhappy with a draw upon refection.

Given the averages and Danyon's unexpected earlier return can he slot back in for Greenwood? His average is way higher for a like for like swap and team average doesn' have the points to play with unless he is going to replace Flint in the 1-7 or i have got something totally wrong (and it has been known occasionally)

Guest GiveusaB
36 minutes ago, Sings4Speedway said:

Sounds like a fair result in the end? Bacon under performed from Brum and likewise Hampshire below par for Kent. Important points picked up by reserves on both sides levelled it in the end and i doubt either side will be too unhappy with a draw upon refection.

Given the averages and Danyon's unexpected earlier return can he slot back in for Greenwood? His average is way higher for a like for like swap and team average doesn' have the points to play with unless he is going to replace Flint in the 1-7 or i have got something totally wrong (and it has been known occasionally)

Bacon didn't under perform in his defence? his '2nd' bike  just wasn't quick enough !

Hampshire had 1 bad ride...other than that he beat who he had to ? Spooner beat Greenwood in Heat 14 and Rowe beat Bacon in Heat 10 ? (I think....) those were the important scoring heats for Kent! (along with Perks's Heat 13 win ). All told, a fair result.

Danyon will replace Greenwood (Greenwood hasn't rode enough matches to gain an average....)

Leon is back next week also....I'm guessing we'll use R/R for Walker ?

55 minutes ago, Sings4Speedway said:

Greenwood is a temporary injury replacement for Hume, so Danyon can slot back in regardless of averages. 

• Thanks 1

Very good meeting, ultimately a better result for Kent but that swing in points from heat 15 could be critical.

First time I've seen Kemp, blimey, he is something else. Shanes outstanding, disappointing for Bacon with his bike issue, Greenwood is a good gater but is down in speed and probably worse is just riding completely the wrong line when he's been attacked, great ride from Davies to beat Hampshire and Embleton is definitely better than Sealey, but still not much to shout about from reserve. No doubt Hume and Flint back will help but we are still severely lacking at 2, 6 and 7 and that will ultimately cost us, either in not making the playoffs or losing to Mildy or Eastbourne in the semi final.

Perks was a different beast last night, but just lost it at the wrong time in 15, Rowe deserved his haul, Thomas a little disappointing but I probably had too high expectations after his performance in the U21 semi earlier in the season. Spooner looked like a different person to the one who struggled to finish 2nd in a 2 man race last season, much improved.

My last meeting at Perry Barr for a couple of years probably as I move to Canada before next week, hope to get to Leicester Sunday, but a good home farewell meeting for me.

• Like 1

Its amazing what a difference seven days makes, a week ago I would have bit anyone's hand off for against the Heathens but last night I was disappointed we could only draw at home to Kent. 

Its a fixture I thought we would win, given we had the hottest young property in the country guesting for us. The form Bacon and Shanes have been in, and the way Greenwood rode in the latter stages against Cradley and the fact Embleton couldn't be any worse than Sealey. Kent are a good side but I felt they were beatable even with our weak bottom end. In the end I don't think a Kent away win would have been unjust at all , we were lucky to not lose that match. 

Drew Kemp was brilliant and without doubt a huge talent over the coming years, thank god we had him. Shanes in the end had a good meeting, didnt gate much but thats a good thing with James as we saw!. I'm sure we can excuse Tom Bacon for having an off meeting, hes been absolutely fantastic this year and its no mistake hes a 10 point rider, he just couldn't gate for toffee. Greenwood annoys the heck out of me, we saw him fly out the gate last in a few heats last night. Then he just rides so defensive and lap by lap you see the opposition get closer and eventually pass him. I think he probably has a lack of confidence or faith in his machinery I don't know but Heat 14 was poor. I sort of expected Rowe to beat him but never Alex Spooner, I half expected Davies to  challenge Spooner in that one given he beat Hampshire in his last heat.  I wouldn't criticise Sheldon Davies for lack of effort, I thought he gave everything he just doesn't always gate and he struggles then but credit to him for his win over Hampshire. Hopefully in the coming weeks Embleton will be able to chip in with a few more points.

I look forward to when Danyon is back, hopefully its next week when Flint returns because that should really improve the team. The fixtures are running out now and I'm not sure we will make the playoffs but you never know we could turn the corner with Hume in place of Greenwood. Would be nice to just win at home, we have not won since June 28th (4 meetings)

Edited by Brummie Kev

15 hours ago, Brummie Kev said:

Its amazing what a difference seven days makes, a week ago I would have bit anyone's hand off for against the Heathens but last night I was disappointed we could only draw at home to Kent. 

Its a fixture I thought we would win, given we had the hottest young property in the country guesting for us. The form Bacon and Shanes have been in, and the way Greenwood rode in the latter stages against Cradley and the fact Embleton couldn't be any worse than Sealey. Kent are a good side but I felt they were beatable even with our weak bottom end. In the end I don't think a Kent away win would have been unjust at all , we were lucky to not lose that match. 

Drew Kemp was brilliant and without doubt a huge talent over the coming years, thank god we had him. Shanes in the end had a good meeting, didnt gate much but thats a good thing with James as we saw!. I'm sure we can excuse Tom Bacon for having an off meeting, hes been absolutely fantastic this year and its no mistake hes a 10 point rider, he just couldn't gate for toffee. Greenwood annoys the heck out of me, we saw him fly out the gate last in a few heats last night. Then he just rides so defensive and lap by lap you see the opposition get closer and eventually pass him. I think he probably has a lack of confidence or faith in his machinery I don't know but Heat 14 was poor. I sort of expected Rowe to beat him but never Alex Spooner, I half expected Davies to  challenge Spooner in that one given he beat Hampshire in his last heat.  I wouldn't criticise Sheldon Davies for lack of effort, I thought he gave everything he just doesn't always gate and he struggles then but credit to him for his win over Hampshire. Hopefully in the coming weeks Embleton will be able to chip in with a few more points.

I look forward to when Danyon is back, hopefully its next week when Flint returns because that should really improve the team. The fixtures are running out now and I'm not sure we will make the playoffs but you never know we could turn the corner with Hume in place of Greenwood. Would be nice to just win at home, we have not won since June 28th (4 meetings)

Just hope Danyon can get through a few meetings unscathed forget about heading for the dirt get some laps under his belt.The other night how did the young Swindon asset Rowe look?  a lad who  has a promising future.

Guest GiveusaB
5 hours ago, Sidney the robin said:

Just hope Danyon can get through a few meetings unscathed forget about heading for the dirt get some laps under his belt.The other night how did the young Swindon asset Rowe look?  a lad who  has a promising future.

Fantastic ! He was in the mix in all of his rides !

I've always liked the look of him !

15 hours ago, GiveusaB said:

Fantastic ! He was in the mix in all of his rides !

I've always liked the look of him !

He did get a meeting for the Robins the other week and it was a jump to far but he would of learned an awful lot.I think he should replace Jack Smith now just for the experience because Smith is on a downward spiral struggling badly.

Edited by Sidney the robin

1 hour ago, Sidney the robin said:

He did get a meeting for the Robins the other week and it was a jump to far but he would of learned an awful lot.I think he should replace Jack Smith now just for the experience because Smith is on a downward spiral struggling badly.

There is no doubt the outing for Swindon done Anders the world of good, it seemed to give him a boost of confidence &  I'm sure he would jump at the chance to ride in the Elite but as a kent supporter watching him every week I would say a prolonged team place may be a bit to soon, he is improving all the time but it is a big jump to the Elite & i feel he needs a bit more time to develop 1st.   

6 hours ago, flipper11 said:

There is no doubt the outing for Swindon done Anders the world of good, it seemed to give him a boost of confidence &  I'm sure he would jump at the chance to ride in the Elite but as a kent supporter watching him every week I would say a prolonged team place may be a bit to soon, he is improving all the time but it is a big jump to the Elite & i feel he needs a bit more time to develop 1st.   

Flipper i thought that Anders gave alot away at the gate in his PREM outing he rode pretty quickly though but the gating will come.Technically he is a very stylish rider and his time will come and it will be great when he is a fulltime robin and follow in the footsteps of Ashby,Broady ,Kilb,Smart (3), Keen ,Wellie.Rosco.

39 minutes ago, Sidney the robin said:

Flipper i thought that Anders gave alot away at the gate in his PREM outing he rode pretty quickly though but the gating will come.Technically he is a very stylish rider and his time will come and it will be great when he is a fulltime robin and follow in the footsteps of Ashby,Broady ,Kilb,Smart (3), Keen ,Wellie.Rosco.

Spot on Sydney, his gating is not the best yet but he is super smooth on a bike & very quick. I would say he looks a bit like Leigh Adams. Im sure Rosco will not rush him into the top flight to soon but when he does he will have the Kent supporters behind him 100%. 

50 minutes ago, flipper11 said:

Spot on Sydney, his gating is not the best yet but he is super smooth on a bike & very quick. I would say he looks a bit like Leigh Adams. Im sure Rosco will not rush him into the top flight to soon but when he does he will have the Kent supporters behind him 100%. 

He does look like Leigh and he also reminds me of Mark Courtney who was  also a very talented rider.