British Speedway Forum
Steve Shovlar

Poole v Somerset. Prem B. 13/8/18 BT Sports.

14 hours ago, ReadingRacer2017 said:

Obsessed Stalker Alert 

Not at all just fed up, like many on here, with you posting CRAP 

• Like 5

I was at the meeting last night. The racing was ok with a few passes, which is standard fare at most tracks these days. The match itself was very hard fought. The crowd was ok for an off night, and as a neutral I enjoyed it.

If we can beat one of the top teams in the league with only 5 riders performing, I don't think anyone is going to fancy us in the playoffs

2 hours ago, Starman2006 said:

And your grapes taste different to ours..:party:

Do you think there were no bumps on the track? Im not having a dig at Poole as it was the only TV meeting ive watched from start to finish as I thought it was decent. But the track was bumpy and everyone could see that.

Edited by thecoombdog

I liked watching the riders bouncing and bucking around on the bumps and ruts. A true test of the men v the boys, with boys getting badly freaked out. They need to get practicing on ploughed up fields to stop them becoming like a bunch of mummy's boys whenever a track isn't like a billiards table. In fact what speedway in the UK needs is to have more tracks like ploughed fields. Otherwise it gets like the Andrex league in football, full of spoiled little mummy's boys. And don't get me talking about covered wickets in cricket.

Incidentally I saw a programme on the gogglebox a couple of weeks ago about some race down a steep hill near Gloucester. The competitors have to chase a piece of cheese and although they start off by running, they soon just roll and bounce all the way down. If Chris Harris ever decides to give it a try, I'm sure he'd win. So why don't these new GB trainers take young riders out to steep hills and get them doing that sort of thing as well as practicing on ploughed fields? This is the entertainment business, so well done to Poole.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, TesarRacing said:

You also said Grajczonek should go! He has been your best rider in the last 2 meetings and Poole would have lost without him last night.

To be fair I said Josh should go too but he has turned it around lately so fair play to him although I was a bit shocked by his performance last night very impressive.

• Like 1

The lumps and bumps were there for all to see last night. Vindicated what Iversen had to say a couple of weeks ago.

• Like 2

19 minutes ago, Bagpuss said:

The lumps and bumps were there for all to see last night. Vindicated what Iversen had to say a couple of weeks ago.

haven't heard of any of the riders complaining about, not even Doyle after heat 15

• Like 1

Let Iversen ride on the billiard table of Kings Lynn with gate and go every week. Lynn fans have been moaning all season about a lack of passing around Saddlebow.

Wimborne Road is far far smoother than it was at the start of the season. The day of rain of Sunday made a couple of areas spongy, but to be honest why on earth would we want a billiard table of a track? It’s dirt track racing, not F1. If riders like Iversen moan and whinge about it, keep it as it is for extra home advantage! Don’t make it easier for the away team to ride.

Sure a couple of bumps appeared last night but so what? 

Lynn's issues are down to the kind of shale used, great for stock cars and bangers but too grippy for good speedway. Lumps, bumps and holes wouldn't solve the problem. Who wants to see riders making mistakes on every corner or being thrown off line? The best speedway racing we see on telly is when tracks are smooth and riders have the confidence to race wheel to wheel without fear of piling up due to a bumpy track.

Iversen asked in his Tweet 'what happened to the good old Poole?' suggesting he used to enjoy the track and it used to be smoother. Are we saying the racing is now better because of the lumps and bumps?

He also said that Poole isn't the only track. Funny that Belle Vue doesn't have lumps and bumps yet produces the best speedway in the UK.

Edited by Bagpuss
  • Like 1

All fine and good if a venue has the luxury of being able to set out a track without any impediments, then yes also make it as smooth as Roger Moore. But if that's not the case due to the venue having to be used for other things as well, or if the original designer of the arena and track was an idiot as with Leicester, then it needs other ways to ramp up the entertainment.

A very enjoyable meeting, apart from the squeezy bum moment when Summers tried to jump on Nicolai's bike with him :rolleyes: , track deteriorated as the meeting went on, full of lumps and bumps by heat 15 , if these two meet in the grand final I reckon it will make great watching over 2 legs

1 hour ago, Bagpuss said:

Lynn's issues are down to the kind of shale used, great for stock cars and bangers but too grippy for good speedway. Lumps, bumps and holes wouldn't solve the problem. Who wants to see riders making mistakes on every corner or being thrown off line? The best speedway racing we see on telly is when tracks are smooth and riders have the confidence to race wheel to wheel without fear of piling up due to a bumpy track.

Iversen asked in his Tweet 'what happened to the good old Poole?' suggesting he used to enjoy the track and it used to be smoother. Are we saying the racing is now better because of the lumps and bumps?

He also said that Poole isn't the only track. Funny that Belle Vue doesn't have lumps and bumps yet produces the best speedway in the UK.

Iversen should be able to ride any track in any condition, have you seen the racing in Sweden, I haven't seen every meeting but quite a few and most of them are not smooth to say the least.

I think the reason for his moaning is that he is still recovering from injury and when he hits a bump it hurts.

How is it Lambert can overtake at Kings Lynn but Iversen  can't when the track is to his liking.

The reason the Belle Vue track is so good isn't just because it is smooth.

2 hours ago, thecoombdog said:

Do you think there were no bumps on the track? Im not having a dig at Poole as it was the only TV meeting ive watched from start to finish as I thought it was decent. But the track was bumpy and everyone could see that.

Problem is mate, we had stupid amounts of rain over the weekend,  and it doesnt matter what you do in those circumtances  the track is always going to cut up. If you read my post earlier re the fences you will understand why that was done.

3 hours ago, semion said:

I have to jump to the defence of Poole.  The racing was ok, not great, but certainly not as bad as people are making out.  

The worry for all other Clubs is that Poole rode last night without a number one or indeed one Reserve and still had enough in the tank to get home.  Not many teams can ride 5 handed overcome a tac ride against them and still take the 3 points on offer against a team riding high in the League.

Sorry guys but I really cannot see anyone stopping the Pirates march toward yet another title. Its all over bar the watching.

Nice impartial post mate, well done.