British Speedway Forum
Sign in to follow this  
Sidney the robin

A top 10 to be proud of.

Nielsen was a great team rider..especially in his Oxford days when he was probably at his very best in that era, I think the best rider I've seen over a range of tracks I think....Ermolenko in his Wolves peak was a great team rider though , especially at Monmore where he covered every bit of track behind his partner at times ..Gundersen was the best rider I saw around Hyde Road I think and Nielsen the best overall..

Edited by Trotter65
Errors
  • Like 1

6 hours ago, waiheke1 said:

I would say Carter > Gundersen around Hyde Rd.

Carter for me was the best visiting rider i saw at Hyde Rd i only see him in BLRC but the place was made for him.I always thought if he had stayed alive he would of rode for the Aces at some stage in his career.If he had stayed FIT could he have won at Bradford 85?he would of had a real chance i believe.

11 hours ago, Sidney the robin said:

Carter for me was the best visiting rider i saw at Hyde Rd i only see him in BLRC but the place was made for him.I always thought if he had stayed alive he would of rode for the Aces at some stage in his career.If he had stayed FIT could he have won at Bradford 85?he would of had a real chance i believe.

Not sure he would have moved to the aces.87 would have been the last chance to move to Hyde Rd and maybe he could have replaced PC - but would Bammy have outlaid  so much to bring him there when presumably he knew at the start of the season he was considering selling? Odsal would probably have suited him better than kirky lane.

Fully agree re 85. He would have gone in regarded as one of four riders with a chance of winning it. Draw would have played a big part given how favourable gate 1 was, particularly in the first half of the meeting. 

• Haha 1

In days long gone by:

Team rider - Bill Kitchen

Entertainer - George Newton (pictured)

Best overall - Jack Young

Edited by orchardlane

On 8/10/2018 at 7:09 AM, Sidney the robin said:

I was doing an alltime top ten the other night and how difficult is that really difficult these ten in no order would be mine be great to hear your views FUNDIN - BRIGGS- MOORE - MAUGER- CRAVEN- NIELSEN-OLSEN- CRUMP- RICKARDSSON-FARNDON.

I respect your listing Sidney the robin.  We all have our own views. But I have just one query. Nine of your 10 riders are 'modern era' riders who most likely you have seen. But the nomination for one rider - who I have full historical respect for is also listed - Tommy Farndon. His death in 1935 was most probably 25-30 years before some of your nominees started to come to the speedway forefront. On what basic grounds to you include him?

This is impossibly difficult, if pride is simply achievement then just go through the records and list the most impressive but if pride means someone who seemed to give their all, no matter what, then we get down to our personal experiences in whatever capacity we attended Speedway. Blokes who gave their all and who readily come to mind (mine that is) are; Aub Lawson, Nigel Boocock, Peter Craven, Torbjorn Harrysson and Andrew Silver. I think someone who you know is doing their best, is at least as impressive as someone who has the winning formula and seems to find it oh so easy.

16 minutes ago, gustix said:

I respect your listing Sidney the robin.  We all have our own views. But I have just one query. Nine of your 10 riders are 'modern era' riders who most likely you have seen. But the nomination for one rider - who I have full historical respect for is also listed - Tommy Farndon. His death in 1935 was most probably 25-30 years before some of your nominees started to come to the speedway forefront. On what basic grounds to you include him?

More so on listening and reading articles on him and respecting  the view points of the likes of yourself, Norbold , Chaplin, (ect) .Also my uncle spoke about him he did not see him ride as he was from the Parker/ Langton era he raved about him. My  take is four riders i believe for different reasons  were robbed of the chance to show there real GREATNESS (ie) Farndon ,Duggan, Huxley, Craven all in a top 20 of alltime.

5 minutes ago, foamfence said:

This is impossibly difficult, if pride is simply achievement then just go through the records and list the most impressive but if pride means someone who seemed to give their all, no matter what, then we get down to our personal experiences in whatever capacity we attended Speedway. Blokes who gave their all and who readily come to mind (mine that is) are; Aub Lawson, Nigel Boocock, Peter Craven, Torbjorn Harrysson and Andrew Silver. I think someone who you know is doing their best, is at least as impressive as someone who has the winning formula and seems to find it oh so easy.

Spot on great post Clive Hitch was my rider that comes into the category of the one's you named.

• Like 1

My current Top Ten - not in order and updating any previous similar lists I may have made: Jack Milne, Ove Fundin, Vic Duggan, Jack Parker, Ivan Mauger, Wilbur Lamoreaux, Barry Briggs, Ronnie Moore, Vic Huxley, Tom Farndon.

17 hours ago, gustix said:

My current Top Ten - not in order and updating any previous similar lists I may have made: Jack Milne, Ove Fundin, Vic Duggan, Jack Parker, Ivan Mauger, Wilbur Lamoreaux, Barry Briggs, Ronnie Moore, Vic Huxley, Tom Farndon.

Upon further reflection the only riders I never saw in action were Jack Milne, Vic Huxley, Tom Farndon.

19 minutes ago, gustix said:

Upon further reflection the only riders I never saw in action were Jack Milne, Vic Huxley, Tom Farndon.

I thought I was Old! :rofl: