British Speedway Forum
dazzafl

Boxall given 2 year ban refusing drug test

Speedway is "recognised" by Sport England who issue guidelines and the definitive list of banned substances. Each recognised sport has to have a testing regime and the Sport England principles enshrined in it's rules and regulations. The ACU/SCB take care of this but apart from Speedway's own testing regime Sport England testers can rock up at anytime, produce their ID and get on with it. An acquaintance of mine is an early retired Detective Sergeant and he spends 1 day/evening each week testing for Sport England, he has a defined geographical area and gets roughly 12 hours notice as to where he is going, what sport and how many competitors to test (he may be given the name/s of a suspect to be included).

Agreeing to submit to a testing regime is a licensing condition and the SCB expanded this to all licensed officials 2 ish years ago so that non riders may be called upon to be tested for alcohol or illegal substances at random.

I think we all know and my acquaintance confirms that most of the visits are as a result of "information received" or perceived behaviour.

• Like 2

Shame they weren’t at this years British final

21 minutes ago, Jonny the spud said:

I'm presume you are hinting at drug infringements at the meeting, I wouldn't expect you to name names on a forum but would like to think you have notified the authorities of any information you have

• Like 1

13 hours ago, tyretrax said:

Do athlets not get tested at home?

Yes , as do Tennis players , they have to inform the authorities of their movements and make themselves available for testin , missing a certain number of tests will result in a ban 

• Like 1

I have seen a rider in the pits jumping up and down and looking as if he was enjoying himself and heard others say what is he on lol makes u think !

On ‎8‎/‎10‎/‎2018 at 3:37 PM, proud panther said:

Whilst I agree with you, if they carried out tests that regular, there would be a lot of banned riders.

What you are implying then is that more riders do drugs. Care to elaborate?

2 years sounds fair!

i was worried he'd get something like 6 weeks. would have been a mockery.

Now people will be assuming this was avoided for a recreational drug. who knows. But what if it wasn't. what if a rider was in a lot of pain and taking banned pain killers (hypothetical) to get him through the day doing his job paying his bills. Many of us have took strong pain killers when needed. Id definitely be more sympathetic then. I can also see why a rider would take uppers pre meeting in a heavy schedule. and downers after if they needed sleep too. it would be a vicious circle though. From a 9-5 perspective its all so simple but i bet when your living speedway and in pain with little sleep and hectic flight schedules it must be easy to stray from the allowed list. In some sports caffeine is a limited drug. meaning 2/3 energy drinks would class as sports enhancing. 

not all drug offences are black and white

On 8/10/2018 at 7:36 PM, ancient mariner said:

Perhaps a bit like Danny Bird who never paid his fine and therefore his ban has continued indefinitely. That said, has Boxall been fined?

Shocking waste of talent :(

Danny Bird was a lot more serious as I think he was taking amphetamines (If I remember correctly) which makes you more aggressive which then caused the altercation with Richie Hawkins who was riding for Workington at the time. 

Most likely I think Steve would've most likely had alcohol or THC (from cannabis) which of course is still a problem but THC can stay in your system for a while, but I don't know the details of the whole situation 

Plus Steve is also only in the National League so he isn't exactly doing this full time so I couldn't personally see him returning because he's also no spring chicken but then again neither are the likes of Paul Hurry and Tony Atkin :P

Edited by Shaggy
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Shaggy said:

Danny Bird was a lot more serious as I think he was taking amphetamines (If I remember correctly) which makes you more aggressive which then caused the altercation with Richie Hawkins who was riding for Workington at the time. 

Most likely I think Steve would've most likely had alcohol or THC (from cannabis) which of course is still a problem but THC can stay in your system for a while, but I don't know the details of the whole situation 

Plus Steve is also only in the National League so he isn't exactly doing this full time so I couldn't personally see him returning because he's also no spring chicken but then again neither are the likes of Paul Hurry and Tony Atkin :P

Not for most. If taken at night it keeps most up all night and wanting to be on the go.  Most can't rest. Keeps you wide awake. Doubt if it would help a speedway rider on track...But in this dangerous sport, or any sport, driving etc, theres no excuse.

Weed makes your reactions slower.To chilled if you like.

Edited by Bald Bloke
  • Like 1

5 hours ago, Danny Connor said:

But what if it wasn't. what if a rider was in a lot of pain and taking banned pain killers (hypothetical) to get him through the day doing his job paying his bills. Many of us have took strong pain killers when needed. Id definitely be more sympathetic then.

Before doing the drugs test, the testers ask a series of questions about any recent injuries or medical problems, and whether the rider has taken any prescription drugs or painkillers, and when they last took any medication.

So if it was something like that, Boxall would have declared it and then done the test.   As he didn't, he clearly knew he'd taken something illegal which would show up.

Not saying it was an excuse in Danny Birds case, but hadn't his mother just been diagnosed with breast cancer and was in bad health.

17 hours ago, IronScorpion said:

What you are implying then is that more riders do drugs. Care to elaborate?

I think anyone that has been in the pits on a regular basis will have noticed unusual behavior from certain riders.  

• Like 1

On 8/11/2018 at 12:29 PM, Jonny the spud said:

Why?

On 8/12/2018 at 7:39 AM, Tsunami said:

Not saying it was an excuse in Danny Birds case, but hadn't his mother just been diagnosed with breast cancer and was in bad health.

I thought Bird had been on cocaine at Cardiff or something like that?

i think it was Smart and Lobb who were on the amphets but could be wrong.