British Speedway Forum
dazzafl

Boxall given 2 year ban refusing drug test

On 8/11/2018 at 6:07 PM, Danny Connor said:

2 years sounds fair!

i was worried he'd get something like 6 weeks. would have been a mockery.

Now people will be assuming this was avoided for a recreational drug. who knows. But what if it wasn't. what if a rider was in a lot of pain and taking
banned pain killers (hypothetical) to get him through the day doing his job paying his bills. Many of us have took strong pain killers when needed.
Id definitely be more sympathetic then. I can also see why a rider would take uppers pre meeting in a heavy schedule. and downers after if they
needed sleep too. it would be a vicious circle though. From a 9-5 perspective its all so simple but i bet when your living speedway and in pain with l
ittle sleep and hectic flight schedules it must be easy to stray from the allowed list. In some sports caffeine is a limited drug. meaning 2/3 energy
drinks would class as sports enhancing. not all drug offences are black and white

There is a reason to why substances are banned. Some improve the person's stamina/strength and etc. Others affect the person's mind/perception
in in a negative way meaning that one shouldn't operate motor vehicles or heavy machinery while taking those substances.
Alcohol is one example on the latter, some medicines also have this effect. If he is taking such pain killers he should absolutely not be
riding a speedway bike against other rider because he would be a danger to himself and others.

Edited by Ghostwalker
  • Thanks 1

8 hours ago, Pinny said:

I thought Bird had been on cocaine at Cardiff or something like that?

wasn't there another rider that was also caught up in all this at the time, possibly an Aussie?...or am I thinking about something else?

45 minutes ago, Odds On said:

wasn't there another rider that was also caught up in all this at the time, possibly an Aussie?...or am I thinking about something else?

Think at the time it was mentioned as being Travis Mcgowan. Dont think he actually got tested though, something to do with his back, his bike and a van?! :unsure::party:

41 minutes ago, Pinny said:

Think at the time it was mentioned as being Travis Mcgowan. Dont think he actually got tested though, something to do with his back, his bike and a van?! :unsure::party:

was that the meeting they didn't turn up to?....or am I miles wide of the mark?

I thought a certain rider got injured before the meeting unloading a van and therefore didnt have to take the test but then again maybe thats wide of the mark too.

23 hours ago, Lord Skid said:

I think we all know who the Ausfie rider was that's night.

I don't think we all do.... well I don't anyway.

• Like 1

On 8/13/2018 at 10:48 AM, Odds On said:

was that the meeting they didn't turn up to?....or am I miles wide of the mark?

no, they were definitely there, it was a meeting against Witches and a certain rider mysteriously hurt his back sitting in the pits:rofl:

On 8/10/2018 at 2:10 PM, THE DEAN MACHINE said:

There is also the point of he hasn’t actually failed any drug test, he just refused to take one, we know he is guilty but even in court it would be hard to prove 

If you get stopped by the Police and fail to give a breath or a blood sample, you are convicted of "failure to provide..." and are punished in the courts the same as if you were tested positive. So if that's the precident, so be it. A bit "guilty til proven innocent" but don't ask me for any sympathy.

• Like 1

Just think, there might not be any tracks left to race on when his two years is served. 

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

2 hours ago, moxey63 said:

Just think, there might not be any tracks left to race on when his two years is served. 

yeah but he'll be so baked that he'll think there is

3 hours ago, uk_martin said:

If you get stopped by the Police and fail to give a breath or a blood sample, you are convicted of "failure to provide..." and are punished in the courts the same as if you were tested positive. 

Unless you can afford a good lawyer and they will get you off on any technicality no matter how guilty you are 

Edited by THE DEAN MACHINE

Going back years here but when my brother in law rode he was given a little book with all banned substances on plus a list of various things that are in everyday medicines that could be banned and advised to check with the doctor with this list before taking anything....

No idea what happens now but there were always open rumours back then about certain riders and I assume it may still be the same

13 minutes ago, Trotter65 said:

Going back years here but when my brother in law rode he was given a little book with all banned substances on plus a list of various things that are in everyday medicines that could be banned and advised to check with the doctor with this list before taking anything....

No idea what happens now but there were always open rumours back then about certain riders and I assume it may still be the same

Everything is available online at WADA website and FIM rule book. Medications usually have warning markers if they affect your driving and etc.
Medicine are also supposed to have markers but some athletes have tried to use it as an excuse to why they tested positive.