British Speedway Forum
Sign in to follow this  
screm

Berwick v Edinburgh 11/08/2018 Championship @7pm

Good win fo Bandits,but I'm sure there will be some disapointed Monarchs fans with that performance from the Team.I do accept its gate and go a lot at Berwick but they should know that by now.Its all about averages but I don't see what Monarchs see in Clegg.

more likely the Edinburgh lads know Berwick is a dump and an accident waiting to happen

• Haha 1

5 minutes ago, homer said:

more likely the Edinburgh lads know Berwick is a dump and an accident waiting to happen

The one thing Berwick is NOT is a dump.Its one of the best stadiums in the league.The track might not be the best but there was not one rider fell tonight so you are obviously talking through your A#se.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

Thought before the meeting and after heat one this would be a close meeting turned out the opposite very good all round team performance,looked like Berwick were more up for it than Edinburgh well done to Theo on his 2nd paid maximum.Well done the Bandits,think Edinburgh will still qualify for the playoffs but they need to ride better than they did tonight.

8 hours ago, homer said:

Proof if proof were needed that posting on an empty head is alive and well in Redcar.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Fromafar said:

Good win fo Bandits,but I'm sure there will be some disapointed Monarchs fans with that performance from the Team.I do accept its gate and go a lot at Berwick but they should know that by now.Its all about averages but I don't see what Monarchs see in Clegg.

Agree regarding gate and go, especially with a track the size and shape of Shielfield but I thought there was more actual racing last night than in recent weeks where some of the races looked not much more than demonstration races. Last night the track did look more grippy than of late and gave the riders a chance to race.

Good win for Berwick, far stronger in reserve positions. For Edinburgh Wells not being quite up to his normal high standard round Berwick and Riss having two poor opening rides went along way to their down fall especially Ht6 where the Monarchs tactical move back fired on them. Quite what Edinburgh see in Max Clegg is beyond me, it seems his racing career is stuck in reverse at the minute at Championship level anyway.

I`d love to know what Scott Courtney said about the new STARRS in interview during the Ben Fund collection but the PS system, in the main stand at least is awful,. Maybe the club could put an interview either on the official site or on their Youtube channel.

My wife's 3rd meeting and she wasn't overly impressed again with the racing although she enjoyed the experience of Cardiff last year,a very gate and go meeting tonight.shame Pijper packed up in heat 15 he was looking good. Only 3 real passes of note. Berwick deserving winners pity Riss took his time to get going but it was lost at reserve. Shame Max seems to have lost he's way he looked like he had a decent future in his younger days riding for us. Big plus is 15 pound to get in,well run meeting just a shame about the lack of passing 

12 minutes ago, bruno said:

My wife's 3rd meeting and she wasn't overly impressed again with the racing although she enjoyed the experience of Cardiff last year,a very gate and go meeting tonight.shame Pijper packed up in heat 15 he was looking good. Only 3 real passes of note. Berwick deserving winners pity Riss took his time to get going but it was lost at reserve. Shame Max seems to have lost he's way he looked like he had a decent future in his younger days riding for us. Big plus is 15 pound to get in,well run meeting just a shame about the lack of passing 

Nothing will ever change regarding the racing at Berwick as long as there is a football pitch inside the track. Just something you have to live with. 

6 minutes ago, topsoil said:

Nothing will ever change regarding the racing at Berwick as long as there is a football pitch inside the track. Just something you have to live with. 

Maybe my old and befuddled memory, but back in the mid 2000’s when I was up every year for the Rockets Northern tours the racing was better. 

33 minutes ago, Shadders said:

Maybe my old and befuddled memory, but back in the mid 2000’s when I was up every year for the Rockets Northern tours the racing was better. 

Well, although our memories are selective, and we think every meeting in our younger days was fantastic - the famous 1981 World Final had only two good races out of 21 - the early years of this century had a situation at Shielfield where visiting riders were much-more tentative at Berwick, and the likes of Makovsky could overhaul them almost at will. 

Since the track was improved (out of all recognition) the foamfence installed and (maybe most of all) the standard of rider in our league hugely improved, there are less mistakes made, visiting riders are harder to overhaul and although the standard of racing is considerably faster, closer and better, there are less crashes and wild-man overtakes.  So, together with our selective memories, maybe Shadders has a point. 

But it is still the best way l know to spend a Saturday night. 

43 minutes ago, Shadders said:

Two theories? Maybe you only remember the good parts of the meetings, the rest is forgotten? Or perhaps as bikes develop and get faster, the quality of racing deteriorates, especially around fast, narrow tracks like Berwick? Maybe when the bikes were a bit slower, the racing was better?

• Like 2

10 hours ago, homer said:

Please elaborate 

56 minutes ago, Shadders said:

The past is the past and we are where we are with British speedway , also I can’t say I’ve been impressed with other meetings I’ve watched on BT sport etc , so to be able to see live speedway on a Saturday evening is a plus 

Amd just to mention a terrific win for the bandits last night 

Edited by penchev

8 minutes ago, crescent girl said:

Well, although our memories are selective, and we think every meeting in our younger days was fantastic - the famous 1981 World Final had only two good races out of 21 - the early years of this century had a situation at Shielfield where visiting riders were much-more tentative at Berwick, and the likes of Makovsky could overhaul them almost at will. 

Since the track was improved (out of all recognition) the foamfence installed and (maybe most of all) the standard of rider in our league hugely improved, there are less mistakes made, visiting riders are harder to overhaul and although the standard of racing is considerably faster, closer and better, there are less crashes and wild-man overtakes.  So, together with our selective memories, maybe Shadders has a point. 

But it is still the best way l know to spend a Saturday night. 

You're right that the track is a hell of a lot smoother and easier to ride than in days gone by. The sight of opposition riders failing to turn the bikes going into the bends no doubt provided a huge home advantage, but provided little in the way of a spectacle.

7 minutes ago, topsoil said:

Two theories? Maybe you only remember the good parts of the meetings, the rest is forgotten? Or perhaps as bikes develop and get faster, the quality of racing deteriorates, especially around fast, narrow tracks like Berwick? Maybe when the bikes were a bit slower, the racing was better?

Think a lot of riders(home and away) seem to give up the the chase after a couple of laps as a lost cause due to speed and slick track nowadays.Riders win by length of strait then same rider gets beat by length of straight( race time same).Explain that to a newcomer.