British Speedway Forum
ScunnyDan

Scorpions v Berwick 17.08.18 7.30pm

Tonights result pretty much finishes Scunnys play off hopes IMO

A very important 2 points for Berwick keeps their interest intact

Think we should have whip round for a new engine for Gino at the next meeting, his bike looks slow still. 

1 hour ago, Fozzie4388 said:

So sad to see Gino the way he is. I think young Luke Harrison in the 2nd half actually looked quicker then he did

Stop been nasty ,we have the riders now till the end of the season stop been a bell end  and well done to Berwick on the. League shield quest we have two semi finals to look forward too on a great race track and great racing once again

6 hours ago, Tosh1218 said:

Stop been nasty ,we have the riders now till the end of the season stop been a bell end  and well done to Berwick on the. League shield quest we have two semi finals to look forward too on a great race track and great racing once again

Bell end !!!! what a little charmer you are. Its a perfectly reasonable question to ask. Gino Manzares started the season on a 5-43 average which should've made him a trump card at reserve for Scunthorpe. That average has tumbled by over a full point to date and he has hardly been the trump card at reserve Scunthorpe were hoping for.

Very welcome points for Berwick last night, oh if it could've been a full victory. We still have a play off place while by the looks of things Scunthorpe dropping points last night all but ended their play off hopes.

If we had learned from our mistakes at Glasgow do not get into a position where a TS can be used and give e good reserve 7 rides maybe we could have had a great result

• Like 1

A draw always feels like a defeat to the home team.  Blown away by the Reserves yet again ,with our reserves not even close in any races.  It is what it is now, but Gino has gone backwards since his spill in Germany and his confidence looks shot.   What was Mr Peet doing in heat 15,  when Jake was clearly a much better bet than Steve to pair up with Josh? 

Well done Bandits on a competitive match , I think our play off place is now blown.

• Like 1

Decent meeting last night, after the first 4 heats a fair few Scunny fans was ready to go home! Some fantastic racing, as always at the EWR and fair play to Berwick on a draw. For the Scorpions

Steve - After the first race, he was fantastic... Stef - Steady meeting, not a bad first meeting back.. Jase - I believe hes carrying an injury but gave 110%.. Jake - fantastic as per... Josh - Awesome, paid max and blew an engine in his first race... Reserves, Danny - you cant fault the lad for effort but unfortunately the points aren't coming.. Gino - when will his luck change?! Understand hes had 2 new engines bought for him, and the points aren't coming, having said that, he doesn't have a mechanic, so the lad does everything by himself, driving, riding, mechanicing, the poor lad must be knackered...

2 hours ago, ScunnyDan said:

. Gino - when will his luck change?! Understand hes had 2 new engines bought for him, and the points aren't coming, having said that, he doesn't have a mechanic, so the lad does everything by himself, driving, riding, mechanicing, the poor lad must be knackered...

if hes knackered riding one meeting a week,cleaning/prepping one bike and living at the track he wouldnt like the real world much at all

Massive well done to Berwick last night,got their noses in front early doors and thanks to a fab performance from the reserves kept in front

Another super nights entertainment at the EWR,just wish i was a neutral then i wouldnt be pissed off!!

9 minutes ago, montie said:

if hes knackered riding one meeting a week,cleaning/prepping one bike and living at the track he wouldnt like the real world much at all

Massive well done to Berwick last night,got their noses in front early doors and thanks to a fab performance from the reserves kept in front

Another super nights entertainment at the EWR,just wish i was a neutral then i wouldnt be pissed off!!

If you take Jake Allan's home average (+5%) you could fit any Berwick rider in and he is 5th in your averages.

I think that's probably the reason Berwick has strong reserves as Scunny has a lot more top end strength and Berwick has a lot stronger reserves (Berwick has just over 2 points between 1-7 and Scunny has over 6.5 points).

Another excellent meeting at the EWR & credit to Berwick for a job well done as most people would have thought the reserves would be the talking point. For Scunthorpe, as has been said on the Belle Vue threads, Steve has been struggling but last night he looked like his own self & should have had 2+3+3+3 from his first 4 rides but we thought he just seemed to be riding too wide in heat 15 finding the dirt but going backwards. Stefan tried his best, had speed but for 1st meeting back, competing & not practice, what was we hoping for. Berwick may not have strong heat leaders or weak reserves but showed strength in depth beating our reserves & riders carrying knocks or returning from injury. Jason carrying an injured leg reported from his guest appearance from Thursday just battles through the pain. Jake unfortunately pulling up after seeing lights on on the back straight cost us. Josh was Josh missing gates but thrilling us all. To the reserves & it is the same story as the effort is there but speed & points, or a bit of luck, is not forthcoming.

I thought their reserves should have had more rides coming in for Etheridge & Howe. In heat 14, surely Pijper should have come in for Etheridge as a tape exclusion(in heat 3) counts as a ride. Missing 2 minutes & not coming to the tapes is not classed as a ride. Might be wrong but someone will put me, & us, right.

We could look back at points dropped by Steve(stopping a lap early) in heat 1 & Jake pulling up(in heat 3) after seeing the lights as pivotal moments but then a TS could not have been used in heat 7. I said a few weeks ago that the loss of points at Redcar & Berwick would cost us & we were chasing our injuries to get back into the play offs & now our manager has said it publically, although the riders in the bar, afterwards, said it is game on. Still giving 100% to the Scorpions. 

36 minutes ago, IronScorpion said:

Another excellent meeting at the EWR & credit to Berwick for a job well done as most people would have thought the reserves would be the talking point. For Scunthorpe, as has been said on the Belle Vue threads, Steve has been struggling but last night he looked like his own self & should have had 2+3+3+3 from his first 4 rides but we thought he just seemed to be riding too wide in heat 15 finding the dirt but going backwards. Stefan tried his best, had speed but for 1st meeting back, competing & not practice, what was we hoping for. Berwick may not have strong heat leaders or weak reserves but showed strength in depth beating our reserves & riders carrying knocks or returning from injury. Jason carrying an injured leg reported from his guest appearance from Thursday just battles through the pain. Jake unfortunately pulling up after seeing lights on on the back straight cost us. Josh was Josh missing gates but thrilling us all. To the reserves & it is the same story as the effort is there but speed & points, or a bit of luck, is not forthcoming.

I thought their reserves should have had more rides coming in for Etheridge & Howe. In heat 14, surely Pijper should have come in for Etheridge as a tape exclusion(in heat 3) counts as a ride. Missing 2 minutes & not coming to the tapes is not classed as a ride. Might be wrong but someone will put me, & us, right.

We could look back at points dropped by Steve(stopping a lap early) in heat 1 & Jake pulling up(in heat 3) after seeing the lights as pivotal moments but then a TS could not have been used in heat 7. I said a few weeks ago that the loss of points at Redcar & Berwick would cost us & we were chasing our injuries to get back into the play offs & now our manager has said it publically, although the riders in the bar, afterwards, said it is game on. Still giving 100% to the Scorpions. 

He was replaced by Theo so surely that doesn't count as a ride.

1 hour ago, IronScorpion said:

A rider must make three starts.  Having missed out Heat 3, Jye Etherjdge had to go in his other programmed rides.  Likewise, Dany Gapp had to have his third ride.  It is the fact that, when both reserves are going so well (and you don't fall six behind) it isn't at all easy to engineer that they take sevens starts each!  

1st visit to scunny last night food was great(pie and chips) so was the racing plenty of passing in most of the races, for berwick summers and jakobsen clearly there best 2 riders and pijper rode really well to.

As for scunny auty was awesome along with allen thought he rode well i think was 2nd or 3rd ride with garrity when he changed his riding line mid race as garrity looked vulnerable,imo a toss up between worrall and allen for ht15. 

Overall great meeting and think berwick have a great chance of beating anyone over 2legs 2 win the league.

Nice to see Gino getting plenty of practice in yesterday.Looked like he was having fun helping the amateurs out and at same time getting plenty of track time for himself. Don't know who person on start line was giving Gino advice?  Young Jack looked alarmed when Gino jumped on the back and set him on probably his fastest lap.:D

At practice slick & dusty & nothing like a race track but he was trying different things. Thought it was a Wayne Carter Training school so could have been him in the t shirt.