British Speedway Forum
Sign in to follow this  
STEPHEN 333

Wroclaw v Torun, Sunday August 19th.

This coming Friday the 17th, I jet off to Wroclaw for the meeting on Sunday the 19th against Torun, have tried to book tickets for the meeting on the Wroclaw website, not had much luck logging on, so will try to buy tickets the day before at the stadium or will leave it until the day itself, the weather is looking very good, 26 degrees forecast, bright and sunny, but does anyone know the start time of the meeting, is it on live Polish TV, and also has anyone been to the Olympic stadium and can tell me the best way to get there by public transport. Many thanks for any help you can give me.

22 minutes ago, STEPHEN 333 said:

This coming Friday the 17th, I jet off to Wroclaw for the meeting on Sunday the 19th against Torun, have tried to book tickets for the meeting on the Wroclaw website, not had much luck logging on, so will try to buy tickets the day before at the stadium or will leave it until the day itself, the weather is looking very good, 26 degrees forecast, bright and sunny, but does anyone know the start time of the meeting, is it on live Polish TV, and also has anyone been to the Olympic stadium and can tell me the best way to get there by public transport. Many thanks for any help you can give me.

Firstly i sent you a PM recently- can you look at it ?

next Sunday starts at 19.30pm local time and is not live on TV 

As for getting there- i have found this.

It's easy to get there from the city centre. Just take trams number 9 or 17 from Dominikański Square (Plac Dominikański, next to Dominikańska shopping mall), direction - Stadion Olimpijski. Get off at "Stadion Olimpijski" stop. From there it's a 3 minute walk through the park.

If i were you i would definately go there on Saturday and buy the tickets- Saturday evening you could find a sports bar in Wroclaw and watch the SEC from Daugavpils

Edited by racers and royals

13 minutes ago, racers and royals said:

It's easy to get there from the city centre. Just take trams number 9 or 17 from Dominikański Square (Plac Dominikański, next to Dominikańska shopping mall), direction - Stadion Olimpijski. Get off at "Stadion Olimpijski" stop. From there it's a 3 minute walk through the park.

If i were you i would definately go there on Saturday and buy the tickets- Saturday evening you could find a sports bar in Wroclaw and watch the SEC from Daugavpils

R&R's tip about watching the SEC in the sports bar on the Saturday is a good one, was there in October. It's a 2 minute walk off the main square, loads of big screens, ice cold large Tyskie's just 6 zloty a pop! Have a great trip! :drink:

13 hours ago, racers and royals said:

I was there for the last match v Czestachowa and I caught the tram from exactly this spot. It is in front of a large shopping mall and the Mercure Centrum Hotel. Just to let you know these trams get very very busy and people really cram onto them. To be honest it's murder after 6.15 and just as bad on the way back. Tickets are very cheap and can be bought in the subway next to the tram stop.  I doubt anyone will check them though as the trams are so crowded.

I had no issue booking through the website though, but you have to create a free account.  If you want a programme for the match you MUST buy it outside the stadium. They do not sell them inside as I found out to my cost.  Food and drink inside the ground is very cheap. A pint of lager was 7 Zloty about £1.40.  The atmosphere was brilliant.  Enjoy. 

Wow, some great advice, thank you too all, certainly am looking forward to it now, will find that sports bar now, forgot about the SEC meeting on TV Saturday night, cannot wait, again thanks guys.

On 15 August 2018 at 11:28 PM, STEPHEN 333 said:

Wow, some great advice, thank you too all, certainly am looking forward to it now, will find that sports bar now, forgot about the SEC meeting on TV Saturday night, cannot wait, again thanks guys.

You saw a brilliant speedway meeting.

20 hours ago, Fromafar said:

You saw a brilliant speedway meeting.

I did, the meeting ending in a draw like that, fantastic, am booking next year just as soon as the fixtures come out for next season,  planning to go to Poland five-six  times next year the whole experience of Wroclaw was just top draw, no problems getting a ticket, just 40 Polish Zloty's admission, about  £11,  8plz for a programme (£2), even bought a day ticket for the tram network in Wroclaw for 11 polish zloty's (2. 75p), it really was that cheap.  Fifteen quid for the speedway meeting all in, won't mention the beer prices, go on then I will, 10 zloty's a pint (£2-50p), weather just brilliant, the Polish people themselves go out of their way to help,  again brilliant weekend.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

On 8/23/2018 at 8:55 AM, STEPHEN 333 said:

I did, the meeting ending in a draw like that, fantastic, am booking next year just as soon as the fixtures come out for next season,  planning to go to Poland five-six  times next year the whole experience of Wroclaw was just top draw, no problems getting a ticket, just 40 Polish Zloty's admission, about  £11,  8plz for a programme (£2), even bought a day ticket for the tram network in Wroclaw for 11 polish zloty's (2. 75p), it really was that cheap.  Fifteen quid for the speedway meeting all in, won't mention the beer prices, go on then I will, 10 zloty's a pint (£2-50p), weather just brilliant, the Polish people themselves go out of their way to help,  again brilliant weekend.

It seems that there were quite a few of us from the UK over for this match a couple of weeks ago, and at least two Belle Vue supporters (STEPHEN333 and myself – though I don’t think we know each other).

I was in Wroclaw from the Wednesday to the Monday (flew back Monday afternoon and went to the NSS for Belle v. Leicester on the Monday night). I also took in Lodz v Pila during my stay and I’ll put a little bit about this on another thread.

In Wroclaw I met a group of Coventry Bees fans twice (once in the tourist information office in Wroclaw Old Town square and the other time back at the airport) and had a nice chat with them before they headed to their flight back to East Midlands Airport.

And I also met three Glasgow Tigers fans in a bar in the Old Town Square and we had a long chat over a couple of beers.

At the stadium itself I saw two guys wearing Poole Pirates tops in the distance but, not getting to speak to them, they might have been locals.

Just reading your post STEPHEN333, I hope you weren’t ‘ripped off’ with your money exchange, as some of your sterling conversion prices seemed a little on the high side. I bought some zlotys in Poland at a rate of 4.75 and had some remaining from a visit to Gdansk a few weeks earlier where I'd bought some at 4.84. At 4.75 that made the prices for me (a) Wroclaw ticket £8.42 rather than £11.00; (b) the programme £1.68 rather than £2.00; (c) 10 zloty beers £2.10 rather than £2.50 and (d) the day tram tickets £2.31 rather than £2.75.

In the Old Town square the beers in the bar where I was talking to the Glasgow fans were 8 zloty (£1.68) and, at a craft beer place a little further along, my beer of choice there was 12 zloty (£2.52).

Interesting that the beers sold at the speedway stadiums these days are actually 0.4 litre size rather than the 0.5 litre (what we’d usually equate to a pint) and are a little weaker at 3.5 abv than the standard strength. I noticed this at Wroclaw this time, and also visits last year to Grudziadz and Torun and this year at Lodz and Gdansk. Last year in Grudziadz I was talking to one of the Grudziadz officials and he was telling me that Tyskie produced such a beer for events, including football and speedway, and this strength beer and size of serving had been introduced all over the country. I can’t recall just when he said this started, it could well have been happening in the years before, but until the chat with the guy at Grudziadz it had never really been something I’d even thought about.

With the exception of a couple of seasons, I’ve now been fortunate to attend at least one speedway match in Poland every year since 2007 and I’m now up to having seen racing at 10 different venues. Whatever 2019 brings I would, though, like to go back to Wroclaw again.