British Speedway Forum
Crazy robin

Somerset vs Poole (Final)

Watching tonight’s meeting shows that only Kings Lynn on a really good night will stop this being the Final.

The team that finishes top of the league will choose either Swindon/Wolves or Belle Vue & will rout them.

Can't see us beating anyone over two legs as we don't win our home meetings by big enough margins. That said we are pretty good at Somerset if we can somehow get them in the semis.

If it is a Pirates/Rebels final you would have to put Somerset down as slight favourites on last night's evidence.

35 minutes ago, Bagpuss said:

Can't see us beating anyone over two legs as we don't win our home meetings by big enough margins. That said we are pretty good at Somerset if we can somehow get them in the semis.

If it is a Pirates/Rebels final you would have to put Somerset down as slight favourites on last night's evidence.

See how close we get to winning next Monday night at the oak tree arena ?

I agree with both Bagpuss and Ray! You would want more than a four point lead in the playoff final. BUT we have a different team and form now to what we had when we last went to OTA. Be interesting to see how we do there next week. 

2 hours ago, ray c said:

See how close we get to winning next Monday night at the oak tree arena ?

Indeed, hence why I said 'on last night's evidence'. If you go there next week and win big then Poole would be favourites. Can't see anything other than a Rebels victory though.

As Josh said on the BT interview, the last time at the Oaktree he and Brady were rubbish, so there will need to be big improvements all round for the Pirates to get a result.

If we can stay within 6 points - great stuff!

I think all the top 5 sides are very much of a muchness so this year I don't think it matters quite so much who finishes top before the play-offs.

One question remains - will Kings Lynn manage to get all their fixtures in before the cut off of 10th September - or will Buster insist on an extension?!;)

4 minutes ago, Skidder1 said:

As Josh said on the BT interview, the last time at the Oaktree he and Brady were rubbish, so there will need to be big improvements all round for the Pirates to get a result.

I think all the top 5 sides are very much of a muchness so this year I don't think it matters quite so much who finishes top before the play-offs.

One question remains - will Kings Lynn manage to get all their fixtures in before the cut off of 10th September - or will Buster insist on an extension?!;)

Reserves are the main difference for Poole and Somerset. Plus Somerset have about the only out and out number 1 in the league. Can only see those 2 in the final and should be a good final at that 

3 hours ago, Bagpuss said:

I would agree but can Kurtz & Jacobsen perform as badly again?

30 minutes ago, Skidder1 said:

Nobody should get an extension. If we can't get our fixtures in then tough luck. I'm sure we can use a Thursday or two if necessary seeing as other clubs have.

14 hours ago, Crazy robin said:

Watching tonight’s meeting shows that only Kings Lynn on a really good night will stop this being the Final.

The team that finishes top of the league will choose either Swindon/Wolves or Belle Vue & will rout them.

I think it will be a Poole vs Somerset final. Very close over the 2 legs as well. Poole had a narrow win last night and will need to do better in the final at home. That said, Kurtz and Jakobsen won't have a worse meeting this season and Poole still won.. This could of been at a fair bit wider.  Not taking anything away from the Rebels who deserved a point.

Anything can happen over 2 legs, but if I was put on the spot, I would edge it Pooles way.  

9 hours ago, Skidder1 said:

There is no dates available to fit in all our remaining fixtures.   If there is no extension,  what is the situation regard to responsibilities of cancelled meetings.   Who are awarded the points?  .       Our rain cancelled match at  Somerset has never been rescheduled, and could have a big bearing on which team finishing top of the league.  It would be a shame  if Poole were to benefit in this. 

Kings Lynn have refused all dates Somerset have offered them before the cutoff. If the meeting isn’t run before the cutoff neither team will benefit. Zero points to either team.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Steve Shovlar said:

Kings Lynn have refused all dates Somerset have offered them before the cutoff. If the meeting isn’t run before the cutoff neither team will benefit. Zero points to either team.

No available Monday or Wednesday.Maybe we could do a Thursday if we are allowed like other clubs.But if we did the chances of us being without a rider or two is very high.What are the dates given then Steve?You seem to know it all.

Every available date before the cutoff. Lynn management said no to every one. Source is pretty good. :wink:

Edited by Steve Shovlar

4 minutes ago, Steve Shovlar said:

Every available date before the cutoff. Lynn management said no to every one. 

The points should be awarded to Poole then, or are they the dates that only suit Poole too.