British Speedway Forum
Sign in to follow this  
SomersetBlue

Somerset vs Belle Vue Premiership 15/08/18

1 hour ago, foreverblue said:

Don’t think that is the case, someone said if Bewley could gate you would have won easier last night and Cook is a good gater so what was his excuse at Leicester. 

I don't understand your point about Bewley. It was easier for him to pass riders at Somerset than at Leicester because Somerset is a race track and Leicester isn't. With regard to Cook at Leicester, in his first race he got filled in on the first bend, his tear off malfunctioned so he rode the entire race blind and finished third. In his second ride he was about to take the lead when he had an EF, then in his third ride he had a poor start but got up to second, tried to blast around the leading rider, overcooked it and fell. He then withdrew from the meeting.

• Like 1

A bit of a walk up call for the Rebels last night, Doyle and Wilson Dean apart. Feel sorry for Covatti riding at number 3 as he should be a reserve, but Allen seems to have taken up residence there.

The Rebels certainly left their gating boots behind last night, and some of their engines sounded decidely flat,  hence the speed that the Belle Vue boys were passing the Rebels.

Only five heats were won by the Rebels last night four by Doyle and one by Holder, which on your own track is poor, hopefully it's a blip!

22 minutes ago, Aces51 said:

I don't understand your point about Bewley. It was easier for him to pass riders at Somerset than at Leicester because Somerset is a race track and Leicester isn't. With regard to Cook at Leicester, in his first race he got filled in on the first bend, his tear off malfunctioned so he rode the entire race blind and finished third. In his second ride he was about to take the lead when he had an EF, then in his third ride he had a poor start but got up to second, tried to blast around the leading rider, overcooked it and fell. He then withdrew from the meeting.

Garry May made the point last night that if any track is like NSS, its Somerset. He's right.

However poor Cook was at Leicester, he was just sublime last night. Not once did he enter the first turn in front and to pick off the likes of Doyle and Holder on their own track had him at his very best (the only criticism I would make was that he could have been a bit more ruthless (as Doyle was)). You could tell from his after meeting interview he was pleased, both with his own performance and that of the team. 

Whatever the case, it was a cracking meeting in front of a very decent crowd with credit going to both teams and Somerset Speedway. 

• Like 4

Rare off night for Jack hopefully.  The one that is concerning me is Lawson, who has not had a good meet for us for ages. Our reserves are normally top notch  but looks like Berge done the buis  as well.  Don’t want to be too critical cos I’m not there, but from what I’m hearing a collective off night after a great show against Poole Monday. Six points req now from the next two next week. 

Edited by Cliffeboy

Great effort from the lads last night and should we sneak into the play offs a final with the two teams would be a mouth watering event over the two legs. 

If we do sneak in and end up with Poole then as Monday showed we just can’t do it on the gate and go circuits, so it would be heartache again for the (R)ACES. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

24 minutes ago, Aces51 said:

Because he scored more points at Leicester, maybe he didn't find it that easy to pass at Somerset either. Fair points about Cook but he is a good gater so a bit strange he struggled at a gaters track.

3 minutes ago, ouch said:

Great effort from the lads last night and should we sneak into the play offs a final with the two teams would be a mouth watering event over the two legs. 

If we do sneak in and end up with Poole then as Monday showed we just can’t do it on the gate and go circuits, so it would be heartache again for the (R)ACES. 

You will need to win tonight to have a chance of sneaking in to the play offs in my opinion. Poole is a long way from a gate and go track .

• Like 2

35 minutes ago, ouch said:

Purely from an entertainment viewpoint Aces v Rebels would be the perfect final.

• Like 1

I fully see the bigger picture thanks. It was not a criticism of Bewley  he is a extremely good prospect who has had a great season and has a great chance of going all the way in the sport and good luck to him. Just comparing a gate and go track to Somerset which is meant to be a good racetrack where gating shouldn't be so important and his scores were similar.

14 hours ago, Batman65 said:

I think the problem with Bewley not being able to gate is the belt drive type clutch ...99% of riders use NEB chain drive clutch and all GP riders use NEB chain drive ... maybe he should try an NEB clutch..

I was just going to suggest that

7 hours ago, Buttons said:

A bit of a walk up call for the Rebels last night, Doyle and Wilson Dean apart. Feel sorry for Covatti riding at number 3 as he should be a reserve, but Allen seems to have taken up residence there.

The Rebels certainly left their gating boots behind last night, and some of their engines sounded decidely flat,  hence the speed that the Belle Vue boys were passing the Rebels.

Only five heats were won by the Rebels last night four by Doyle and one by Holder, which on your own track is poor, hopefully it's a blip!

That's the problem Rebels have 3 reserves. 

21 hours ago, stevebrum said:

No one saw that coming. Bizarre how they fail at Leicester but succeed at Somerset!

maybe they still have enough fight for the top 4?

I guess 1is a gaters paradise and the other is a good racing track!!!! Such a waste of a track at Leicester . Didn’t ermolenko design it? Crime against speedway if so. All that room for a speedway track and they designed that!!!!!

• Like 1

43 minutes ago, Danny Connor said:

I guess 1is a gaters paradise and the other is a good racing track!!!! Such a waste of a track at Leicester . Didn’t ermolenko design it? Crime against speedway if so. All that room for a speedway track and they designed that!!!!!

How many more times does it need explaining?

Ermolenko quit because DH changed the track design whilst he was away.

• Like 1

50 minutes ago, Danny Connor said:

I doubt Sam designed it, think that was all Hemsley. I think Sam was asked to be on board but I don’t think he had much involvement.

These days the bikes are so fast that I think I would of researched  tracks around 300-320m that have wide, sweeping banked bends with shorter straights. So riders ride it almost like a circle. Generating speed as the go..Fastest bike down the straight, not so big an advantage...Bit like a bigger Mildenhall if you like.

Skill as much as speed needed.

Edited by Bald Bloke
  • Like 1