British Speedway Forum
Sign in to follow this  
Pinny

Rider Rivalries

Name some of the biggest rivalries between opposing riders that you have seen during your time following the sport.

ill start it off with Anders Henriksson and Carl Stonehewer. Wasnt at Sheffield the night Stonehewer chased Anders with a shovel, but seen them at Newport many times. Anders was usually the only Wasp who could beat Stoney around Newport, Watson rarely did and he was our superstar number 1. I remember Stonehewer losing to Henriksson in one meeting fair and square and causing a right scene at the pit gate. 

Henriksson then took Stoney off at Reading during his spell with Reading which resulted in a centre green brawl. 

Sure there will be bigger rivalries, but in my time watching the sport, that was the biggest involving a Wasps rider. Anders had Stonehewers number and he hated it!

• Like 1

Jack 'The Villain' Millen and Frank Auffrett. Their 'dust ups' were apparently legendary!

There was a bit of a Martin Dugard / Brian Karger thing going on for a while.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Grachan said:

Wasn't there some bad feeling between Jimmy Nilsen and Brian Karger for a long time, as well?

I seem to remember reading that Anders Michanek did not like Ole Olsen, although I am not of sufficient speedway attending vintage to remember any particular incidents. 

Surely if we're talking rivalries, Penhall and Carter has to be right up there. There was genuine dislike between the two. Kenny never missed an opportunity to comment on his "flash superstar" rival. 

In more recent times Greg Hancock and Nikki Pedersen have clashed more than once. Who can forget that rugby tackle on Nikki by Greg whilst he was still on his bike? That was more reckless and dangerous than many of Nikki's supposedly dirty moves in races.

8 hours ago, Grachan said:

Remember the incident at Cowley well. Karger just took Dugard's front wheel away and Martin, after the race had been stopped, gave him a right hook and knocked him off his bike!

I think that I may have it on a DVD?

I did think that there was something between Gordon Kennett and Steve Gresham but when I put the question to Steve he denied it.

Edited by steve roberts

1 hour ago, Bryce said:

Surely if we're talking rivalries, Penhall and Carter has to be right up there. There was genuine dislike between the two. Kenny never missed an opportunity to comment on his "flash superstar" rival. 

In more recent times Greg Hancock and Nikki Pedersen have clashed more than once. Who can forget that rugby tackle on Nikki by Greg whilst he was still on his bike? That was more reckless and dangerous than many of Nikki's supposedly dirty moves in races.

Funny thing is Bryce i have a few pictures of Kenny /Bruce  when they did get on one when Kenny rode Bruce in the motor cycle news Golden Helmet at the Shay.

Ivan Mauger and Ivor Brown. Ivan talked of a deep hatred in his book "Triple Crown Plus" without naming the rider although years later he did.

• Like 1

Steve Gresham,Gary Middleton were two that spring to mind that had several clashes with different riders over the years.Steve was a very good rider and i met him once and what a really nice bloke he was nothing like his reputation.Middleton what a character he was i would say he should of pushed on and been world class he was good enough.The clashes i remember are Olsen v Ashby at Coventry Olsen fenced him) Kilby v Mauger at the Abbey Ivan,s fault he needed to be rushed out of the stadium.Gresham and Tony Briggs clash at Reading  Gresh got the blame but Milan Spinka was at fault.

1 hour ago, Sidney the robin said:

Steve Gresham,Gary Middleton were two that spring to mind that had several clashes with different riders over the years.Steve was a very good rider and i met him once and what a really nice bloke he was nothing like his reputation.Middleton what a character he was i would say he should of pushed on and been world class he was good enough.The clashes i remember are Olsen v Ashby at Coventry Olsen fenced him) Kilby v Mauger at the Abbey Ivan,s fault he needed to be rushed out of the stadium.Gresham and Tony Briggs clash at Reading  Gresh got the blame but Milan Spinka was at fault.

Garry 'Cassius' Middleton....what a character! The infamous incident when he pulled a gun on Roy Trigg in the pits after a race at Dudley Wood. Read an interview with Finn Thomsen who commented that he used to have problems with Garry on track but, then again, Finn was never a shrinking violet and there was no love lost between him and the late Billy Sanders.

Edited by steve roberts

On 8/15/2018 at 7:03 AM, steve roberts said:

Jack 'The Villain' Millen and Frank Auffrett. Their 'dust ups' were apparently legendary!

You are dead right Steve, great days!!

"The Mackem"

• Like 2

3 hours ago, steve roberts said:

Garry 'Cassius' Middleton....what a character! The infamous incident when he pulled a gun on Roy Trigg in the pits after a race at Dudley Wood. Read an interview with Finn Thomsen who commented that he used to have problems with Garry on track but, then again, Finn was never a shrinking violet and there was no love lost between him and the late Billy Sanders.

I'm currently reading the Bert Harkins book (free on Kindle unlimited). Some very interesting snippets about Middleton from when they rode together out in Australia at the end of the 60's. 

• Like 1

I believe two current day riders had a bust-up after one of them nabbed the last seat to Poland. Does that count? Can't think of any on-track rivalries, they ride with each other and against each other really often and seem like good mates. 

Edited by moxey63

On 8/15/2018 at 1:13 AM, Pinny said:

Name some of the biggest rivalries between opposing riders that you have seen during your time following the sport.

ill start it off with Anders Henriksson and Carl Stonehewer. Wasnt at Sheffield the night Stonehewer chased Anders with a shovel, but seen them at Newport many times. Anders was usually the only Wasp who could beat Stoney around Newport, Watson rarely did and he was our superstar number 1. I remember Stonehewer losing to Henriksson in one meeting fair and square and causing a right scene at the pit gate. 

Henriksson then took Stoney off at Reading during his spell with Reading which resulted in a centre green brawl. 

Sure there will be bigger rivalries, but in my time watching the sport, that was the biggest involving a Wasps rider. Anders had Stonehewers number and he hated it!

Nigel Sadler and several Newport supporters :D

9 hours ago, scarletrider said:

You are dead right Steve, great days!!

"The Mackem"

Would you want to mess with Jack ? i only see him ride once for Reading his reputation was not great but he was really good with the young riders advice ( etc) RIP.