British Speedway Forum
Sign in to follow this  
Pinny

Rider Rivalries

10 hours ago, steve roberts said:

Garry 'Cassius' Middleton....what a character! The infamous incident when he pulled a gun on Roy Trigg in the pits after a race at Dudley Wood. Read an interview with Finn Thomsen who commented that he used to have problems with Garry on track but, then again, Finn was never a shrinking violet and there was no love lost between him and the late Billy Sanders.

I remember Finn Thomsen taking Billy Sanders off quite deliberately after a race at Hackney. Injured him quite seriously as I recall.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, salty said:

I'm currently reading the Bert Harkins book (free on Kindle unlimited). Some very interesting snippets about Middleton from when they rode together out in Australia at the end of the 60's. 

Is the book available as a hard back?

They were great mates for years but Crump/Sanders had a couple of years of tough riding against each other.Crump was involved in a infamous incident with Billy in the Australian Final Crump was controversially excluded in one race scored 12 got eliminated. Glyn Taylor with Billy  qualified for the Overseas Final at Belle Vue instead both Crump/Sanders were tough and classy riders.

Edited by Sidney the robin
  • Like 1

32 minutes ago, norbold said:

Many Thanks!

Just ordered my copy...will be my holiday reading at Whitby!

• Like 1

21 hours ago, salty said:

I'm currently reading the Bert Harkins book (free on Kindle unlimited). Some very interesting snippets about Middleton from when they rode together out in Australia at the end of the 60's. 

Thank you for that, Salty, said book has been duly downloaded!  

I never saw Garry Middleton, he sounds like someone you would either love or despise - somewhat unfortunate that the fella he pointed a gun at was called Trigg.....

• Like 1

On 8/17/2018 at 11:46 AM, steve roberts said:

Many Thanks!

Just ordered my copy...will be my holiday reading at Whitby!

With the fish and chips   they are very nice there and Scarborough.

• Like 1

From Provincial League days-Ivor Brown and Ivan Mauger

Remember when Mauger knocked Kilby off at The Abbey, angry Swindon fans on the GREYHOUND track. Smuggled out under blanket in back of Mercedes, to avoid being lynched by the natives!

Pedersen v a lot of riders at the Cardiff GP, dirty sod. Andersen v Pedersen was very tasty!

Mauger and Olsen were dirty buggers

Edited by auntie doris
  • Like 1