British Speedway Forum
Sign in to follow this  
g13webb

Adding a 1 week extension onto the cut-off date'

15 minutes ago, Najjer said:

It'd be within Poole's interest that Kings Lynn make the play offs I expect, seen as they've battered them recently at Wimborne Road.

I always thought of you as being a decent poster until recently where you've posted some absolute nonsense to dig at Poole/Matt Ford.

Not sure about that Kings Lynn have changed there team since that meeting and anyway I believe Kings Lynn are much better than they showed that night.

41 minutes ago, g13webb said:

How do you make that out?    Before FRN there were at least 4/5 days a week  when team could arrange their racenights,  now we have only 2.  With there being only 7 teams  there will always be a team spare with no fixture.    That alone magnifies the problem of available dates. 

You say last year  you got all your fixture in, but I remember you one rode 4 meetings in 9 days, that is something you wouldn't to able to do this year,    so  Swindon would have been in the same position than,  as teams are now.  

Unlike a lot of posters on here, I try to be positive and think of the bigger picture.    I see no sense for a team to compete in a league all year,  only to be deprived  of a PO because of fixture congestion.   The sport struggles to be taken serious by the general public, yet we continue to shoot ourselves in the foot.     This is not about  KL, Poole,  Somerset or any of the other teams, is about making decisions for the benefit of the sport .   And if the 'Powers of B'  cant do that,   then each of us must question our sanity of supporting  our teams in the first instance....

Again you only see one side of a problem.   Just because Somerset has offered  dates,   it doesn't make them  right or wrong.  Obviously these dates were not  convenient or else they would have been arranged.     But no doubt Buster, would have offered an alternative ,  but these were not convenient either. 

It is so easy to be judgemental when hearing only one side of an argument.  

The fixtures last from the beginning of April until the end of August. With Mondays and Wednesdays, that's 22 weeks to fit in 14 (say 13 with Rye House now out) home fixtures. Two days a week in which to do it. That's 44 dates.

44 dates to fit in 13 home matches.

Why can't all the teams manage that?

I'm not defending Swindon's scheduling either. It was appallingly bad last year.

It might be good for the sport providing the punters turn up. Too many promoters looking after number one and the lack of cooperation is evident. Also give a thought to those fans who have lost money on hotels and booked holidays around fixtures only to find them changed at the last minute (not because of weather) without a second thought by the promoters. All have had adequate time to get their house in order and most have failed miserably. If it down to overseas commitments, that is another issue that needs to dealt with, if it is the double up then that confirms FRN etc. Is not working. No extension is the fairest way. What happens if they did and it peed down that week. Another extension? 

I wonder if Poole were miles behind on their fixtures, would people be calling for an extension, somehow don't think so

19 minutes ago, Arthur54 said:

I wonder if Poole were miles behind on their fixtures, would people be calling for an extension, somehow don't think so

Just the same as poole fans calling fot no extension just saying 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, cityrebel said:

Too right, the best summer since 1976, and the promoters have wasted it.

Yes, just think what it would have been like it we were having a 'normal' summer

44 minutes ago, Arthur54 said:

We always ride a lot  of our meetings early on so unlikely to happen to Poole, not saying it couldn't happen but unlikely.

5 hours ago, Steve Shovlar said:

Its the away team that has refused Somersets dates.

Of course it depends how many dates have been offered and how many alternative dates from Lynn that Somerset refused.

An independent independent who decides when meetings take place might be the way forward.

1 hour ago, Grachan said:

The fixtures last from the beginning of April until the end of August. With Mondays and Wednesdays, that's 22 weeks to fit in 14 (say 13 with Rye House now out) home fixtures. Two days a week in which to do it. That's 44 dates.

I'm not defending Swindon's scheduling either. It was appallingly bad last year.

They had 66 dates as Britain's TWO days were actually THREE...:D

That they included Wednesday didn't actually help though as so many meetings must have been unable to be arranged due to Denmark's legimate claim to run meetings on that particular night...

You then have Championship teams having many long standing meetings being pulled on a whim, and this too will adversely effect any planning between now and the cut off dates, as they too will need to rearrange and possibly have to ride on 'off nights'.

Causing even more Guestfest nonsense due to all three Leagues using the same riders...

Causing even more lack of credibility for the very titles they race for...

Causing even more fan dissilusionment and apathy in the competitions.....

Causing even more gaps on ever emptying terraces...

Will British Speedway ever decide to run itself properly, or have they simply thrown in the towel and given up?

Edited by mikebv

Judging by post number 4on this thread it seems pretty clear that most think there should be no extention. And rightly so.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Grachan said:

' 44 dates to fit in 13 home meetings'   You make it sound so simple,   but in doing so you forget to mention the 12 away meetings that have to come into that equation as well.   Lets not forget the  20% of those dates when each team has to be a spare  because of the odd number of teams ,   and that then sure puts a different outlook on your simple equation...….

I believe it is wrong to alter rules,  but looking at the league placings , no team is home and dry and all have plenty of fixtures to fit in before the end,     All we need in another crap week of weather and every team will be in the  mess.      This problem is not solely  the fault of individual promoters it is the fault of  everybody involved with the way the  sport is run...

Edited by g13webb

10 minutes ago, g13webb said:

' 44 dates to fit in 13 home meetings'   You make it sound so simple,   but in doing so you forget to mention the 12 away meetings that have to come intothat 

OK. 32 dates for 13 home meetings then.

I don't know how it is at King's Lynn, but at Swindon there seem to be plenty of dates where there has been no speedway when there could have been. So much so that fans get frustrated by it.

Edited by Grachan
  • Like 2

7 hours ago, foreverblue said:

I can't see it being extended, BT would say no tv meetings again if you can't keep to the schedule especially as weather cannot be held up as a factor given the summer we have had. 

The BSPA have fiercely resisted this idea in the past few years and I fail to see why they should do it this year, clubs have had more than enough time to sort dates out.

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, Grachan said:

OK. 32 dates for 13 home meetings then.

I don't know how it is at King's Lynn, but at Swindon there seem to be plenty of dates where there has been no speedway when there could have been. So much so that fans get frustrated by it.

Agreed, gaps of two or three weeks without a home meeting, yet we have run most of ours.

8 hours ago, Steve Shovlar said:

We have had a long dry summer. No reason to extend at all. Clubs could have planned better to fit fixtures in gefore panicking as time ran out. Think back to all those weeks when no fixtures were run. 

The playoff dates should not be moved imo. Clubs should simply plan their fixtures better.

Can't agree with this more, no reason to extend play-off dates!