British Speedway Forum
Badge

Witches v Glasgow 16/08/2018

2 minutes ago, Icicle said:

Also says both captains refused to say to crowd why refused to race!!

Apparently they were working on the track so i am guessing they weren't happy with track conditions. 

Louis may have his critics but he sounded genuinely gutted! The captains didn't even have the balls to explain to the crowd why! In the old days someone would have gone out and done a few laps or we would have had 3 or 4 heats to test the track. I've seen much worse in my time just another example of too much rider power. Glasgow didn't ever seem like they even thought about giving it ago never even got changed. 

• Like 4

6 minutes ago, Gazc said:

Apparently they were working on the track so i am guessing they weren't happy with track conditions. 

It showed a photo on Twitter and it looked to be deep in sawdust.

Just now, Spl77 said:

Louis may have his critics but he sounded genuinely gutted! The captains didn't even have the balls to explain to the crowd why!

They arent obliged to, its either safe to race or its not. With both Captains seemingly in agreement its not, the disagreement would seem to be between the Ipswich promoter and Captain. Thats two weeks in a row Ipswich has been rained off which may be more to do with their efforts to get it on.

Pity, we could have done with some practice on a small tight track with a visit to the 0131 next Friday.

I thought that was really poor from the captains to refuse to ride without turning a wheel. 

The weather was set fair and the track looked as if it had a chance of being OK. I've never ridden a speedway bike but Louis, an ex rider clearly stated that he thought the track was raceable and was clearly very annoyed at the decision. Schlein was never going to fancy it but Glasgow never got changed and at no point looked to have any interest in entertaining the paying public. 

To at least not try was poor.

• Like 4

To be honest if there wasn’t the time pressure to get our remaining meetings in this would’ve been called off hours ago - track was possibly rideable but was never going to be raceable from what I could see.

Farcical it got to the point it did all the riders would’ve been there well before the meeting. 

Perfect advert for track covers today! Could’ve prepped track to a point covered track - rain stopped around 330-4pm giving them 3/4hrs to ready the track from then on 

30 minutes ago, foamfence said:

It showed a photo on Twitter and it looked to be deep in sawdust.

I too thought it was sawdust but it was limestone dust which does a similar job.  

The riders should be ashamed of themselves at not trying the track after all the efforts. 

• Like 6

25 minutes ago, MD said:

They arent obliged to, its either safe to race or its not. With both Captains seemingly in agreement its not, the disagreement would seem to be between the Ipswich promoter and Captain. Thats two weeks in a row Ipswich has been rained off which may be more to do with their efforts to get it on.

Pity, we could have done with some practice on a small tight track with a visit to the 0131 next Friday.

Last week there was no chance of any racing but the match wasn't called off tonight due to lack of effort by the trackstaff and CL to get a rideable track.

Well it was blindingly obvious to most in the stadium that the main instigator of the postponement was a certain GP rider (and I use the term loosely) who was waving his arms about while kicking  the track . He obviously was doing his best to persuade others not to ride either .

I'm sorry but my personal opinion of him gets lower by the minute ! 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

I couldn't hear any bikes being warmed up, and Glasgow not even changed. You have to wonder if certain riders had already made their minds up! 

• Like 1

Is it still the next 3 matches or the restaging for use of the rain off ticket?

Edited by Siggytastic

Another nail in the coffin of speedway. CL has been a rider who you have the utmost respect and today’s clan of whimps should learn a thing or two about adapting to conditions and giving it a try. If after a few heats the track does not improve then fine but frankly what you have now is the equivalent of fine weather fishermen. Time the fans boycotted meetings to show they have had enough. Today’s riders are so far removed from being men with skills and track craft that frankly they are killing off the sport @nd deserve to be out of work.

• Like 3