British Speedway Forum
Badge

Witches v Glasgow 16/08/2018

Chris gay asked both captains their opinions. If one side were prepared to ride he was going to get the meeting started however after initially being prepared to ride the Ipswich team seemed to be swayed to change their minds by their captain. 

I agree that rider safety is paramount but I was present last night unlike a few of the posters defending the riders.  Danny king said he would have given it a go as did Richard Lawson. They should have at least tried.  

To not even try is inexcusable. Nobody would be complaining if they had a go and then said no.  At this rate the riders won’t have a sport left in s couple of years. 

• Like 7

Surly not fairweather moaning Schlien? Make King none riding captain. I too was present for the first time this year to see Kemp make his debut. I will be present next week as I have already paid. 10 minutes of practice on that last night and it would have been fine. 

After last night... more reason the sport in this country should be semi pro. Riders like Cook and Schlein influencing others shouldn't be allowed just because they don't want to. If they don't like it... there's no place for them in British speedway... not that there will be much left if they continue to act like they did last night. 

• Like 6

7 hours ago, Paulco said:

Where was the referee when all this head shaking and track kicking was going on ? Does the referee not have the final say on whether a meeting is off or on anymore ? 

The ref was pretty much on and around the track the whole time the prep was going on and allegedly thought it was OK to give it a go. 

In my opinion and most of those around me it appeared that Glasgow (1 rider particularly) had no intention of riding and slowly but surely persuaded everyone else to follow suit. 

Obviously that's speculation as we couldn't hear what was being said but being allowed in and paying it was disappointing to say the least! 

Lets hope not too many travelled from up north, its them I feel for mostly as I can use my readmission ticket next week. 

Guest GiveusaB

It's down to the ref to do his job properly, grow a pair and not be influenced by anyone?

45 minutes ago, Super Blue said:

The ref was pretty much on and around the track the whole time the prep was going on and allegedly thought it was OK to give it a go. 

In my opinion and most of those around me it appeared that Glasgow (1 rider particularly) had no intention of riding and slowly but surely persuaded everyone else to follow suit. 

Obviously that's speculation as we couldn't hear what was being said but being allowed in and paying it was disappointing to say the least! 

Lets hope not too many travelled from up north, its them I feel for mostly as I can use my readmission ticket next week. 

Exactly speculation, it really is mind blowing the amount of track curators on this thread :nono:.

28 minutes ago, Gazc said:

Exactly speculation, it really is mind blowing the amount of track curators on this thread :nono:.

Were you at foxhall last night ?

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, Gazc said:

That comment is not fair.

Having never ridden a speedway bike I admit that I have no idea about what makes a track acceptable to race on. My comments and I am sure most others were based on Chris Louis immediate comments in his interview which to paraphrase were ‘the track is raceable and today’s riders are soft’. 

The inexcusable part of last nights debacle was to not make an effort to try the track out. 

I only travelled 6 miles but was damn annoyed. If I had travelled any distance and particularly from Glasgow, I would have been incandescent. 

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Racin Jason 72 said:

Were you at foxhall last night ?

Whats that to do with anything,  meeting postponed last night what else matters.

13 hours ago, JamesB said:

That comment is not fair.

Having never ridden a speedway bike I admit that I have no idea about what makes a track acceptable to race on. My comments and I am sure most others were based on Chris Louis immediate comments in his interview which to paraphrase were ‘the track is raceable and today’s riders are soft’. 

The inexcusable part of last nights debacle was to not make an effort to try the track out. 

I only travelled 6 miles but was damn annoyed. If I had travelled any distance and particularly from Glasgow, I would have been incandescent. 

Fair enough wasnt aimed at anyone in paticular just pointing out that riders at the end of the day make the call.

Right or wrong it's done as someone has asked me was i there,  no I wasn't but dont need to be it was postponed thats all that matters

Edited by Gazc

Return leg now rained off with an early call from Glasgow.

The ironic thing is plenty will slate Glasgow for calling it off early, perhaps the same ones that are going mental about last nights late call off who are also the same that keep saying “Speedway is dying in this country” at every opportunity! There’s no pleasing some people!

• Like 1

Craig Cook never left the refs side all through this, in his ear all the time. He rode in wet conditions in Sweden on Saturday, as a nobody in GP racing he is a lemming following the rest. Bet he didn't complain then. When an experienced ex-rider says the track is raceable, they should've given it a go. 

21 minutes ago, Gazc said:

Whats that to do with anything,  meeting postponed last night what else matters.

I saw the track and witnessed the actions of the riders. My opinion is no more or less valid than yours but I’m reporting what I saw first hand