British Speedway Forum
Badge

Witches v Glasgow 16/08/2018

As much as Cook was the main man in getting the meeting off there's one more that played his part in this... the home captain. If the Witches had ALL decided to race the meeting would have been on. The Witches entered the changing rooms for a meeting with most willing to ride .. all bar one and he was the voice on the night that said no.....

i have always said if the track looks a little tricky, every rider should go out on their own and do a couple of laps to get the surface turned over. Then a quick grade if required, If everyone then happy start the meeting.

• Like 4

1 minute ago, Triple.H. said:

i have always said if the track looks a little tricky, every rider should go out on their own and do a couple of laps to get the surface turned over. Then a quick grade if required, If everyone then happy start the meeting.

That would make sense to me,but no one seems interested in getting dirty to suit the fans these days.The best meetings are usually on a track that has been watered by the weather ,if it is not raining of meeting this should be an option,like you say just turn the dirt over. Cook had no problem riding in the GP last weekend on a rain affected track.

I totally get the fact that riders put their bodies on the line and should have a say on conditions. To me the issue of contention here is communication to the paying public of these views. Trying the sport again as one of the "I always used to go speedway brigade" I felt  for Chris Louis last night having to explain this rider power and the refusal of the captains to clarify a different view to him or the referee. As others have said  riders not changing or trying an uncontested ride, makes those watching on feel used and disillusioned with the sport. Who knows or really cares who said what to whom, its the biggr picture of a failing sport. If Messrs Cook and Schlein had their reasons tell us not just disappear. As customers who ultimately fund them they may one day also wonder why so many more have had "our say" and simply walked away. 

I can't remember hearing it last night or seeing it anywhere...Anyone know who our guest is tomorrow? 

Hopefully I will get to see some action.

29 minutes ago, Baldyman said:

I can't remember hearing it last night or seeing it anywhere...Anyone know who our guest is tomorrow? 

Hopefully I will get to see some action.

According to our local paper Baldy it's Steve Worrall for Saturday!! :t:

Edited by Lord Lucan

22 minutes ago, Lord Lucan said:

According to our local paper Baldy it's Steve Worrall for Saturday!! :t:

Thanks...he any good round the park? 

I shall see with my own eyes. 

11 minutes ago, Baldyman said:

He's normally very good round our place Baldy, just back from injury the other week with Scunny so a little bit of a tentative 10pts that night, should be much better now!! ;)

....Just got my management head on here, if my business relied on the weather, surely you would be looking very closely at the forecasts and they were all "cast iron" it would be raining all morning and clearing mid afternoon, with a clear evening.

SO, one of two things should have happened in my mind, either call it off early OR arrange a whole load of extra staff and vehicles to transform the track in the 4-5 hour window they knew they would have.

The only other option would have been covers, because they knew it would be clear in the evening...why not get some ?

Speedway is only going to suffer if the travelling public and customers get let down. It did seem to me though watching closely that certain riders were influencing the rest.

Another thing I would have done, was clear all the riders and mechanics from the outer track until the work was done, they kept hanging over the boards and making comments and the vehicles were having trouble getting through, it was really un-professional.

16 minutes ago, AntiqueSteve said:

....Just got my management head on here, if my business relied on the weather, surely you would be looking very closely at the forecasts and they were all "cast iron" it would be raining all morning and clearing mid afternoon, with a clear evening.

SO, one of two things should have happened in my mind, either call it off early OR arrange a whole load of extra staff and vehicles to transform the track in the 4-5 hour window they knew they would have.

The only other option would have been covers, because they knew it would be clear in the evening...why not get some ?

Speedway is only going to suffer if the travelling public and customers get let down. It did seem to me though watching closely that certain riders were influencing the rest.

Another thing I would have done, was clear all the riders and mechanics from the outer track until the work was done, they kept hanging over the boards and making comments and the vehicles were having trouble getting through, it was really un-professional.

How very dare you even think of coming on here and making sensible comments like that.    

Covers would have paid for themselves many times over by lost fans revenue because of events like last night. 

Normally someone will now come on and say, but who will put the covers down and take them off? 

Another thing could be easily done is have more fixtures earlier in the season, so if there are rain offs..there are still plenty of weeks to get them re arranged

Edited by Baldyman
  • Like 2

32 minutes ago, Baldyman said:

If he gates he's ok aint seen him pass anybody anywhere !

They were going to get scott  nicholls to do it but he only does one race then has to go but promices to come back another night !

5 hours ago, Triple.H. said:

Which is precisely what happens in Poland before every match. Riders from each team are nominated to test the track, feed back to the rest, and this happens in the 30 mins prior to the meeting starting. If that had happened last night it would quickly have been obvious whether the track could be raced on or not.

16 hours ago, Paulco said:

Where was the referee when all this head shaking and track kicking was going on ? Does the referee not have the final say on whether a meeting is off or on anymore ? 

No not if Schlein is in charge! :)