British Speedway Forum
Steve Shovlar

Somerset v Poole Prem B. 20/8/18

2 hours ago, Skidder1 said:

Bomber asked to be taken out because he couldn't get either of his 2 bikes to work!!!

That doesn't sound like Bomber to me!

16 hours ago, Stoke Potter said:

One of the best tracks in the country? 
Slick, bumpy, and not a lot of passing...  

Somerset is one of the best race tracks in the U.K. last night's meeting didn't produce the normal amount of passing.

People that live in glass houses shouldn't  throw stones "Stoke Potter".

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

19 hours ago, Steve Shovlar said:

Very true. Yet again another trip to Somerset and yet again a not very good meeting.

But before anyone thinks it’s sour grapes, well done to Somerset on a relatively easy win over a lacklustre pirates.

Only one good race with Harris battling with Holder, the rest was very average fodder with hardly any outside passing. The home team took advantage of knowing the only passing line was right around the inside and the Poole guys just didn’t twig this until it was too late. Get up the inside and you are made. No matter how hard you try to blast around the outside, you will just go backwards.

Doyle was untouchable tonight and a class above, backed up by Holder. Pirates just don’t have that kind of firepower and Kurtz had another mare. In fact none of the Pirates heat leaders covered themselves in glory. Very poor. Best Poole riders were Klindt who battled all night, and Woryna, another who gave his all. Special mention to Freddie Jakobsen on his first ever visit and battled well.

A poor Pirates performance and a 12 point defeat. Not good enough in a playoff meeting. Looks like it’s going to be Somersets to lose and in all honesty would take a major choke for them not to end up as champions.

Very dissapointing result for me Steve. You can not go to a place like Somerset with a 5 man team. its just not posible. Nothings over til its over. That was last night, another night it could well be different. But tomorrow nights meeting is now a must win to keep tabs on Somerset.

Edited by Starman2006

1 hour ago, dj350z said:

That doesn't sound like Bomber to me!

All sounds a bit BS to me 

• Like 1

Belle vue back in the hunt as well and looking pretty good to me

Edited by ray c

10 minutes ago, ray c said:

If we get there I fancy our chances with Steve Worrall getting back to form, two decent reserves and Bewley improving all the time. The wins at Somerset and Swindon have shown what we are capable of doing.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Bald Bloke said:

May said in an interview last night that the track was set up different to stop the Pirates.. I don't know if it was tongue in cheek or he was serious.

He sounded serious to me, he said he had to give his team home advantage and it certainly worked.

18 minutes ago, ray c said:

They are the favourites to me , hitting form at the right time.

1 hour ago, Starman2006 said:

Very dissapointing result for me Steve. You can not go to a place like Somerset with a 5 man team. its just not posible. Nothings over til its over, and that was last night, another night it could well be different. But tomorrow nightsmeeting is now a must win to keep tabs on Somerset.

They are not handing out the prizes yet, I have a feeling Bomber wouldn't asked to be withdrawn in a play off meeting!

We should win with ease tomorrow, Swindon will not make the play offs, there season is over, even Batch is struggling or average manipulating.

• Like 1

I was disappointed watching the meeting with so little passing.  Remember going a number of years ago and seeing a pretty good fixture against Glasgow after it threw it down with rain.

Hopefully they will be able to have another go at shining a better light of there wonderful track soon.

59 minutes ago, Aces51 said:

If we get there I fancy our chances with Steve Worrall getting back to form, two decent reserves and Bewley improving all the time. The wins at Somerset and Swindon have shown what we are capable of doing.

Steve worrall looks the key rider for you . Nobody would want to go nss on your form last night in the playoffs ?

1 hour ago, Aces51 said:

http://www.speedwaygb.co.uk/premiershiptable18

Looking at the table, Swindon and BV look very vulnerable. I'm not sure who KL's and Wolves meetings in hand are against, but you'd expect at least KL to make it. BV's loss at Leicester could end up costing them.  

5 hours ago, ray c said:

Surely there was another bike bomber could have used ?

What ? Like the "Track Spare" we used to have in the old days !!! I remember Frank Aufrett who rode for Leicester in the 70s rode the "Track Spare" one meeting because his own had packed up and he scored the most points in that match than he had all season !!! It was reported that he liked it so much he offered Vic White money to by it from the club !!!

• Like 1

I

3 minutes ago, Aroundtheboards said:

What ? Like the "Track Spare" we used to have in the old days !!! I remember Frank Aufrett who rode for Leicester in the 70s rode the "Track Spare" one meeting because his own had packed up and he scored the most points in that match than he had all season !!! It was reported that he liked it so much he offered Vic White money to by it from the club !!!

Happy days !!!

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, ray c said:

I

Happy days !!!

They certainly were ray c !!! I wish we still had them !!! Nobody moaned quite so much then either, least of all Poole ! In those days they were a good outfit of fans and riders. One Malcolm Simmons springs to mind !!!

• Like 1