British Speedway Forum
Steve Shovlar

Somerset v Poole Prem B. 20/8/18

Can't blame the track when the fact Poole lost was because THEY WERE NOT GOOD ENOUGH. Simple as that really. The Rebels riders managed plenty of passes and the track was the same for the Rebel riders. Whilst the track is not the same as it was and needs a lot of work in the close season, it is not as bad as some people are making out. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, SomersetBlue said:

Can't blame the track when the fact Poole lost was because THEY WERE NOT GOOD ENOUGH. Simple as that really. The Rebels riders managed plenty of passes and the track was the same for the Rebel riders. Whilst the track is not the same as it was and needs a lot of work in the close season, it is not as bad as some people are making out. 

You forgot everyone was watching on the telly then??! :blink:

Somerset obviously scared of Poole and particularly Harris as it has been reported that May said they changed track prep to stop us! 

You are obviously one of these supporters who when your team wins you want everyone to say Somerset are the best thing ever! Sorry but if your track isn't up to scratch you're gonna get told about it, whether you like it or not. 

So Somerset have now freely admitted that they purposely took away the outside line to stop Poole. So basically sod all the fans who turned up hoping for an entertaining meeting in front of the cameras and the tens of thousands watching at home. And people on here say Poole have the win at all costs mentality.:rolleyes:

As I said last night, on my 15+ visits to Somerset, I never get to see a good meeting. Nothing to do with the result, just the racing. When Poole won to get into the playoffs last year the racing wasn’t great. Last weeks meeting at Poole was just so much better racing. All we got last night was the Somerset riders heading straight for the kerb, all the way around. Nothing out off the curb, unless you want to lose ground. The Somerset riders knew this, clearly told the track had been doctored and where to ride before the meeting started.

A shame the fans who attended were conned out of good money but Somerset clearly desperate after losing to Belle Vue.

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

23 minutes ago, Steve Shovlar said:

So Somerset have now freely admitted that they purposely took away the outside line to stop Poole. So basically sod all the fans who turned up hoping for an entertaining meeting in front of the cameras and the tens of thousands watching at home. And people on here say Poole have the win at all costs mentality.:rolleyes:

As I said last night, on my 15+ visits to Somerset, I never get to see a good meeting. Nothing to do with the result, just the racing. When Poole won to get into the playoffs last year the racing wasn’t great. Last weeks meeting at Poole was just so much better racing. All we got last night was the Somerset riders heading straight for the kerb, all the way around. Nothing out off the curb, unless you want to lose ground. The Somerset riders knew this, clearly told the track had been doctored and where to ride before the meeting started.

A shame the fans who attended were conned out of good money but Somerset clearly desperate after losing to Belle Vue.

I fully appreciate you are, as usual, just stirring the rubbish but, even by your standards, that’s pretty comical.

It wasn’t a great meeting last night but nor was it an awful one. I enjoyed it more than the match at Poole the previous week so to say the racing was so much better at Wimborne Road is, in my opinion, is just plain wrong. There was a fair bit of passing, almost all by Rebels, and some good close racing, Klindt in particular got stuck in.

And there was the bonus of the Brady Kurtz show, what a bizarre performance!

• Like 6

4 hours ago, Aces51 said:

If we get there I fancy our chances with Steve Worrall getting back to form, two decent reserves and Bewley improving all the time. The wins at Somerset and Swindon have shown what we are capable of doing.

Problem for us if we make the play offs is if we meet Poole. The gate and go nature of Wimborne Road makes us very vulnerable, sure it makes for great speedway at the NSS as we can easily pick them off but down there and over two legs I could see The (R)aces losing out. :(

5 hours ago, Ghosty said:

Somerset is one of the best race tracks in the U.K. last night's meeting didn't produce the normal amount of passing.

People that live in glass houses shouldn't  throw stones "Stoke Potter".

Why can't I comment on another track if, what you assume to be my closest track, currently has a reputation for being poor?  You won't find me defending Stoke.

However, from the evidence I've seen Somerset is over-rated.  It my well be one of the better ones in the country but that is only because most of the rest are so bad.

Tatum was raving about it last night and said Somerset is a great track, it has 2 lines! 
Oh, so just the 2 lines then, round the kerb or round the fence?  A decent track has multiple lines, not just the 2, which it didn't actually have last night anyway.

The Poole meeting the week before was more entertaining for the neutral and, despite Poole's recent reputation for having tracks problems, Wimborne Rd. was on a par with that surface last night.

I went to Somerset way back in the 2000's to watch Stoke for a Division 2 match and came away utterly unimpressed, my opinion was the place was over-rated.  Nothing I've seen since has changed my view.

Unlike many others it does have the potential to be a top class track but is currently a long way short of Belle Vue, which is THE best track in the country.

Add to that we have also the Team Manager essentially admitting to the fact that the track had been doctored!  And people wonder why the sport doesn't get a bigger following...

Edited by Stoke Potter
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, lisa-colette said:

You forgot everyone was watching on the telly then??! :blink:

Somerset obviously scared of Poole and particularly Harris as it has been reported that May said they changed track prep to stop us! 

You are obviously one of these supporters who when your team wins you want everyone to say Somerset are the best thing ever! Sorry but if your track isn't up to scratch you're gonna get told about it, whether you like it or not. 

The home team preparing their own track to have home track advantage. Oh how disgusting that is. If Poole were good enough they would have worked out what to do and done it. They however did not, apart from Klindt and Woryna. Three heat advantages, nothing to do with what we did with the track. 

Oh and btw you obviously didn't read the whole way through my comment did you. Otherwise you would have seen my comment about the track not being what it was. 

P. S scared of Poole? A quick look at the results between the two sides this season will tell you if we are afraid of Poole. 

There should be a MINIMUM of two racing lines and this should be monitored by refs. If they observe a meeting with only one line then it should be mandatory that it is corrected for the following meeting. Tracks that provide only one line need to be fined as they would if consistently providing a dangerous surface. 

1 hour ago, ouch said:

Problem for us if we make the play offs is if we meet Poole. The gate and go nature of Wimborne Road makes us very vulnerable, sure it makes for great speedway at the NSS as we can easily pick them off but down there and over two legs I could see The (R)aces losing out. :(

Poole is not gate and go usually get lots of passing, very arrogant to think you can easily pick us off at Belle Vue, i seem to remember both our meetings at the NSS this season have been tight affairs.

3 hours ago, Aroundtheboards said:

They certainly were ray c !!! I wish we still had them !!! Nobody moaned quite so much then either, least of all Poole ! In those days they were a good outfit of fans and riders. One Malcolm Simmons springs to mind !!!

What are dripping on about? Of the posts that I have seen on hear, nearly every Poole supporter, including me have said that the better team won. WHO' S MOANING, other than you?

3 hours ago, Steve Shovlar said:

Somerset have now freely admitted that they purposely took away the outside line to stop Poole. So basically sod all the fans who turned up hoping for an entertaining meeting in front of the cameras and the tens of thousands watching at home. And people on here say Poole have the win at all costs mentality.:rolleyes:

Don't think you can moan to much tbh . I had got over "oil gate", but you moaning reminded me..

We could see at home where you needed to ride the track, so I thought the Poole lads would of sussed it out after a 3 or 4 races. 

A few weeks ago when Poole had oil tipped over a certain part of the track, you said that if you saw the same being done when you visited an away track, you wouldn't bat an eye lid ! You also said to some Poole fans who confirmed it was tipped on purpose " should of kept their mouths shut"

I find the first bit very hard to believe if i'm honest..

I know you have gone down the fans route, but I suspect your more peeved that you lost, if your honest.

The oil was put down for a reason .Maybe your team would have told the next visiting team whereabouts on the track they poured the oil, just to keep it fair as you do.:wink:.

What the Rebels did was perfectly legal. May was honest, maybe he should of kept his mouth shut?, i'm sure there not the only ones that have done it before and will do again..

Would you agree ?

Edited by Bald Bloke

56 minutes ago, ouch said:

There should be a MINIMUM of two racing lines and this should be monitored by refs. If they observe a meeting with only one line then it should be mandatory that it is corrected for the following meeting. Tracks that provide only one line need to be fined as they would if consistently providing a dangerous surface. 

Absolutely, should be the same for bumps and holes which the home team could know how to avoid to their advantage. Bumps and holes should be mandatorily eradicated for the next meeting or points docked /awarded.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Steve Shovlar said:

Your boys clearly weren't watching the racing and what lines the Somerset boys were taking..... 

Edited by Trees

1 hour ago, Southampton Pirate said:

What are dripping on about? Of the posts that I have seen on hear, nearly every Poole supporter, including me have said that the better team won. WHO' S MOANING, other than you?

Read the post properly and you will find it was nothing to do with this meeting !!!

• Like 1

I thought the meeting at Somerset was a decent one to watch on the box. OK, it wasn’t a pass galore fest but the majority of the races were close with all 4 in contention.

After the dire fest of the vast majority of meetings on BT before this has to rank as one of the best so far which perhaps says more about the rest.

Somerset is generally one of the better racetracks in the country and always happy to visit when visiting family. 

Fair play to Garry May for admitting they prepared the track to stop Poole, nothing wrong in that and the racing was generally good.

• Like 1