British Speedway Forum
racers and royals

Slovenian GP Krsko Saturday September 8th

9 hours ago, New Yorker said:

Hi Dean, I mentioned in an earlier post that when young riders are starting out it is probably drilled into them to be at the tape ready to race at the two minute clock. Am I wrong? I have no experience in an up close setting but know that you would have the answer. As some said in an earlier post....why give the referee the chance to exclude you. Maybe the start Marshall was being a jerk but if he calls you to the tape there's really no reason not to obey him.  It's a little foolish how riders will tinker and tweet and tune their bikes and then not pay attention to the basics which can and did cost them. I've run a business since 1971 and believe me it's the small details that come back and bite you OR make you successful. 

In my opinion this is all about discipline within the sport or really the lack of it, give the riders an inch they will take a mile, so many times now you see riders being pulled closer to the tapes then move away as soon as the start marshal moves, they are like little children who have to have the last say, there is no need to do 2 mins of gardening, watching the leszno v Wroclaw match on Sunday janowski got a tax sub ride and was struggling to make the 2 mins, he got to the tapes with about 10 seconds to go, no gardening nothing just straight there and green light and he makes his best start all night, woffinden can claim rightly he was unfairly excluded but he must ask himself why was he back from the tapes at the end of the 2 mins,?why was he not ready at the tapes with 30 seconds to go ? And then no matter if the ref was unfair or biased or whatever woffinden would of been in the race it’s that simple 

Edited by THE DEAN MACHINE
  • Like 2

2 hours ago, Odds On said:

all the ref had to do was put the greenlights on, it would of sent a clear message to every single rider in the meeting, to single out an individual in the way he did was poor, unfair and even unprofessional.

Absolutely spot on !

Forget all this nonsense debate about the if's /but's, why's/wherefore's etc etc etc.....

The Green lights should have been put on !

As soon as the 2 mins clock has run down, the green lights should go on and away we go!

The referee was still a cheat....imo!

10 minutes ago, GiveusaB said:

Absolutely spot on !

Forget all this nonsense debate about the if's /but's, why's/wherefore's etc etc etc.....

The Green lights should have been put on !

As soon as the 2 mins clock has run down, the green lights should go on and away we go!

The referee was still a cheat....imo!

GREEN lights cannot go on until the start marshal has moved away

11 minutes ago, PHILIPRISING said:

May be flashing green lights to start with.....give riders a few seconds to respond and then take action ?

Something needs to be in 'black/white' with no scope for discretion of the referee !

Then I also think that a rider should be allowed to start off a handicap as in league racing....not many fans want to see a reserve rider take anybody's place?

We pay good money and I expect to see the best!

As much as we don't like it, in any event there are voices of authority. In speedway we have the referee who rotate here and there, the race director in Phil Morris (who i think does a great job), and the start Marshall who along with the referee is in CHARGE of the starts. Even though the clock had run down if Tai had moved towards the tape AS SOON AS the start Marshall motioned him forward IMO he would not have been excluded. 

2 hours ago, PHILIPRISING said:

In Gb at tracks that do not have clocks, the Ref often "flashes" the green light to tell the riders to move forward when they are not obeying the start Marshall ,which is quite a lot .But with a clock to look at the riders should not leave it to the last few seconds,it is noticeable when they are late to the gate after a problem they move right in and ready to go sharpish.

1 hour ago, Fromafar said:

In Gb at tracks that do not have clocks, the Ref often "flashes" the green light to tell the riders to move forward when they are not obeying the start Marshall ,which is quite a lot .But with a clock to look at the riders should not leave it to the last few seconds,it is noticeable when they are late to the gate after a problem they move right in and ready to go sharpish.

LET'S not over react here. It hasn't happened before probably won't again.

4 hours ago, GiveusaB said:

May be flashing green lights to start with.....give riders a few seconds to respond and then take action ?

Or maybe a clock counting down to zero... Oh, hang on a minute!

1 hour ago, PHILIPRISING said:

You would like to think so!.Riders can only blame themselves IMO.

1 hour ago, PHILIPRISING said:

Didn't Trick get done when the clocks were first introduced, I'll grant you it's not happened since then though

whats going on with chris holder's form. not as dominant as he once was. does anyone think he deserves a wildcard spot if doesn't make the top 8. will he ever recapture the 2012 form he once enjoyed. 

NO he doesn't and I doubt whether Chris thinks so either. Has much going on his life off the track along with his injury after winning the World title and what happened to his best friend Darcy. Hopefully he might get things sorted during the winter and make a comeback.

1 hour ago, iainb said:

Didn't Trick get done when the clocks were first introduced, I'll grant you it's not happened since then though

I think that is why the Clocks were introduced 

43 minutes ago, PHILIPRISING said:

NO he doesn't and I doubt whether Chris thinks so either. Has much going on his life off the track along with his injury after winning the World title and what happened to his best friend Darcy. Hopefully he might get things sorted during the winter and make a comeback.

Stranger things have happened. maybe a year or two out may put some fire in the belly

1 hour ago, iainb said:

Or maybe a clock counting down to zero... Oh, hang on a minute!

My point about the lights as opposed to a clock, is EVERYONE (not just the riders)can/would see the lights(hence no confusion over exclusions) and it will/would add to the atmosphere........ imo!

16 minutes ago, RPNY said:

I think that is why the Clocks were introduced

Was it? I thought it was the other way around... It was many many GP's ago though. I do remember it being very controversial at the time