British Speedway Forum
racers and royals

German GP Teterow Saturday September 22nd

Just now, ColinMills said:

I happen to of seen both one off world finals and gp titles. I happen to prefer one off...matter of choice

That's fine, but the World Speedway Championship is designed to find the best speedway rider in the world, not to please Colin Mills...

I preferred the World Finals, but I am perfectly okay with a GP system that generally provides a much stronger competition overall, and reduces the luck factor.

Steve

• Like 1

41 minutes ago, ColinMills said:

never been a fan of the gp era, but that's probably cos im old school. don't like the fact riders can "settle" for places. in the one offs you would chase everything to be world champion. the format favours certain riders. but hey, a brit leads the charge, and obviously happy with that, and im all for woffy chasing a record breaking world title total

Your argument makes no sense at all I'm afraid.

In the one offs, after a couple of rides over half the field are out of contention.. after three rides, even more. They didn't have to 'chase' anything.. and often didn't. 

Care to explain how the format favours 'certain' riders? You mean the ones scoring the most pts? 

17 minutes ago, BWitcher said:

Adonis hates all Aussies Andy and he considers Tai to be an Aussie.

He blames them for his sons lack of success as a speedway rider. 

Interesting who is his son? 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, BWitcher said:

Your argument makes no sense at all I'm afraid.

In the one offs, after a couple of rides over half the field are out of contention.. after three rides, even more. They didn't have to 'chase' anything.. and often didn't. 

Care to explain how the format favours 'certain' riders? You mean the ones scoring the most pts? 

of course, I liked the idea of going in a stadium, with all riders starting level. of course we could all pick no-hopers in the field. (except jerzy of course), he shocked everybody. yes, agree, riders became out of contention by half time. consistency can win you the world title now, but you still needed consistency in the old system too, you didn't just appear in the final. I don't disagree with you in what you say at all, its just a preference. I prefer speedway in the 70s, I don't think it was better quality, theres loads of factors, but again it may be a generation thing 

14 minutes ago, chunky said:

That's fine, but the World Speedway Championship is designed to find the best speedway rider in the world, not to please Colin Mills...

I preferred the World Finals, but I am perfectly okay with a GP system that generally provides a much stronger competition overall, and reduces the luck factor.

Steve

is  this even worth an answer? it was a preference!!

Im sure his nicknames airfence

10 minutes ago, ColinMills said:

is  this even worth an answer? it was a preference!!

I'm not worried about your preference.  You stated that, "If we want the BEST rider to win what would be the point?"

What is the point of having sporting competitions and contest if they are NOT designed to find the BEST competitor?  If an individual or team is the BEST over a contest (or series of contests), why should they not be rewarded for that?  If we want "winners" at random, based on luck rather than skill, then why do we put in the effort to be better, faster, more accurate, than everybody else?  If that doesn't merit rewards, then everything is worthless...

Steve

Edited by chunky

24 minutes ago, chunky said:

Steve

so is the play offs designed for the best team to win the league??????? 

1 minute ago, chunky said:

I'm not worried about your preference.  You stated that, "If we want the BEST rider to win what would be the point?"

What is the point of having sporting competitions and contest if they are NOT designed to find the BEST competitor?  If an individual or team is the BEST over a contest (or series of contests), why should they not be rewarded for that?  If we want "winners" at random, based on luck rather than skill, then why do we put in the effort to be better, faster, more accurate, than everybody else?  If that doesn't merit rewards, then everything is worthless...

Steve

the league title can be won with a bit of luck under the current format! a team can go unbeaten, yet turn up in a play off, and one crash can lose you the title!!

so is the play offs designed for the best team to win the league??????? 

No, and that is why I don't like them!

Steve

• Like 1

It always strikes me as odd that many of those who prefer the one off world finals, where you qualify and then it's all down to a final where everyone starts equal, prefer that the team finishing with most points accumulated over a season should win the league title and those who prefer the GP's, where the rider who gets the most points over a season wins, prefer the play offs where you qualify and then it's all down to a final where both teams start equal.

Logically, you might expect those who prefer the one off world final to prefer the play offs and those who prefer the GP's to prefer the team that finishes top of the league to win the title.

• Like 2

nice we agree on this

A league/GP/round robin format is designed to find the best - and most consistent - over the period of that system.  A knockout system is designed to find the best on each individual occasion.

People keep on about, "But they have playoffs in football!" Yes, they do, but NOT for a league title...

Steve

• Like 1

Playoff's you can blame U.S. T.V. for..... Or the viewers, who watch it. Not sure what it has to do with GP's.

2 minutes ago, chunky said:

People keep on about, "But they have playoffs in football!" Yes, they do, but NOT for a league title...

But it is the only Sport where the league isn't decided by Play Offs I watch.

- I don't watch any format of Cricket.