British Speedway Forum
racers and royals

German GP Teterow Saturday September 22nd

9 hours ago, adonis said:

depends if you believe the yard stick for best ever  is based on world titles , I can think of a dozen british riders who never won a world title ,but were far better than woffinden will ever be 

I've been watching Speedway since the mid 60's and Woffinden is the best British rider I have seen, might have been others who could be brilliant on their day but I've never seen one as consistently great. Not only that he is the best 1st turn rider I've ever seen of any nationality. I'd struggle to think of any riders who were FAR better and he still has plenty of time to catch those who are only just ahead of him in my opinion.

As for the GP it started off badly but improved and ended up being far better than I expected. Woffinden did what only the very best can do and pulled the wins out of the hat when it really counted. Without bad luck he'll be a well deserved 3 times World Champion. He has also matured into a Champion kids can look up to, you only have to see his response to the disqualification at the last round to know that, he must have wanted to scream and shout but didn't.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Vince said:

I've been watching Speedway since the mid 60's and Woffinden is the best British rider I have seen, might have been others who could be brilliant on their day but I've never seen one as consistently great. Not only that he is the best 1st turn rider I've ever seen of any nationality. I'd struggle to think of any riders who were FAR better and he still has plenty of time to catch those who are only just ahead of him in my opinion.

As for the GP it started off badly but improved and ended up being far better than I expected. Woffinden did what only the very best can do and pulled the wins out of the hat when it really counted. Without bad luck he'll be a well deserved 3 times World Champion. He has also matured into a Champion kids can look up to, you only have to see his response to the disqualification at the last round to know that, he must have wanted to scream and shout but didn't.

there you go again using world titles as a yard stick , and as for first turns  what have you been watching because you have completely missed  the master first turn bully  Doyle , 

1 hour ago, screm said:

Best news of all however is that it appears Craig Cook has not suffered any broken bones from last nights crash and is intent on riding tomorrow at Belle Vue.

Have you seen something to confirm that, last night he said he was aiming to ride but that he did have broken bones. Would be great news if you're right.

Edited by Aces51

9 hours ago, spin king said:

Interesting who is his son? 

go on Bwitcher show your complete lack of integrity by bringing my son into it , you really are a disgusting creature . 

8 hours ago, ColinMills said:

I do get the variations in views here, but the old system wasn't as straight forward as compering the two systems. ALL riders had to earn the right to be in each round, no-one was given a wildcard, no one was put in the title hunt because of there place of birth. the quality of standard is obviously higher today, just as a competition, I think opinions would clearly be split

Totally wrong about wildcards.Think riders were even given byes into the actual world finals.And some riders only had to do 1 or 2 rounds whilst others 4,5 or6

9 hours ago, ColinMills said:

of course, I liked the idea of going in a stadium, with all riders starting level. of course we could all pick no-hopers in the field. (except jerzy of course), he shocked everybody. yes, agree, riders became out of contention by half time. consistency can win you the world title now, but you still needed consistency in the old system too, you didn't just appear in the final. I don't disagree with you in what you say at all, its just a preference. I prefer speedway in the 70s, I don't think it was better quality, theres loads of factors, but again it may be a generation thing 

Why not have a Grand Prix like we have and an individual World Champion like we used to have . Then everybody would be happy. 

Darts have both

• Like 2

9 hours ago, BWitcher said:

Your argument makes no sense at all I'm afraid.

In the one offs, after a couple of rides over half the field are out of contention.. after three rides, even more. They didn't have to 'chase' anything.. and often didn't. 

Care to explain how the format favours 'certain' riders? You mean the ones scoring the most pts? 

On the other hand. It's quite farcical that a rider scores say 5 pts less than another rider over 5 rides, but then scrapes into the semis and ends up on the rostrum. where the other rider bombs out at the semi stage. So you have the ridicules situation, where the rider who has scored the most points is not declared the winner!!  

22 minutes ago, iris123 said:

Totally wrong about wildcards.Think riders were even given byes into the actual world finals.And some riders only had to do 1 or 2 rounds whilst others 4,5 or6

My recollection is that the only riders every automatically seeded to the final were the defending champions and that only applied for a few years in the 50's. That hardly compares to the top 8 now automatically qualifying in the GP's. 

You may be right about the number of qualifying rounds although again it isn't my recollection, perhaps you can provide some details.

6 minutes ago, Aces51 said:

My recollection is that the only riders every automatically seeded to the final were the defending champions and that only applied for a few years in the 50's. That hardly compares to the top 8 now automatically qualifying in the GP's. 

You may be right about the number of qualifying rounds although again it isn't my recollection, perhaps you can provide some details.

Well how did the Polish riders qualify for the 1973 final?Swedish riders did have qualifiers for some of their finals,but how many meetings did they ride?Whereas how many meetings did some of the continental riders do or some British(Australian/NZ)riders do when the final wasn’t at Wembley

Plus I was answering a post that said there were no wc’s and you have confirmed there were,no matter how short the period was

34 minutes ago, tyler42 said:

On the other hand. It's quite farcical that a rider scores say 5 pts less than another rider over 5 rides, but then scrapes into the semis and ends up on the rostrum. where the other rider bombs out at the semi stage. So you have the ridicules situation, where the rider who has scored the most points is not declared the winner!!  

No it isn't farcical at all. Not in the tiniest bit.

Next you'll be telling us how you were watching a GP in the pub and the whole pub fell down laughing at the situation.

1 hour ago, adonis said:

go on Bwitcher show your complete lack of integrity by bringing my son into it , you really are a disgusting creature . 

I didn't. You did in your original xenophobic rant about Aussies some years ago.

12 hours ago, teijahn said:

Getting female commentators out of a (man's) sport (trackside as well) that they have no competitive experience in would be a real good start.  There are enough good ex riders about whose knowledge and experience give them an insight to track conditions and racing that could enable the bimbo like questions and opinions to be replaced with intelligent comment. 

Natalie Quirk is at least as good and probably a better and more knowledgeable presenter than almost all of her male predecessors. I'll agree that most of the pits interviews are bordering on banal, but who really cares if it is a male or female interviewer? All I want is sensible questions from someone who knows what they are talking about  

• Like 4

15 minutes ago, BWitcher said:

No it isn't farcical at all. Not in the tiniest bit.

Next you'll be telling us how you were watching a GP in the pub and the whole pub fell down laughing at the situation.

Why would i be watching the GP in pub. Very strange comment. 

21 minutes ago, BWitcher said:

I didn't. You did in your original xenophobic rant about Aussies some years ago.

no i didn't .I have never done that ,more crap you have made up . 

11 minutes ago, tyler42 said:

Why would i be watching the GP in pub. Very strange comment. 

nothing unusual here .Bwitcher inventing something  to suit his argument .  now forever and a day he'll be posting the same invention  as if you said you were in the pub yourself