British Speedway Forum
racers and royals

German GP Teterow Saturday September 22nd

4 hours ago, iris123 said:

A better league average doesn’t mean too much.Olsens 1976 average was better than his 1975 one,yet he failed to make the final in 1976 as reigning world champion

Look at Nielsen. A giant in the BL but he couldn't compete with his World Final opponents for several years...

And what did a superb string of BL averages do at world level for Eric Boocock?

Steve

Edited by chunky

3 hours ago, MunichMassive said:

You could open up a new thread for finding out who is the best ever british rider. An extra thread just for this issue would be perfect, a never ending story this...

Been done - on several occasions...

Steve

Great great rider that PC was you can’t say he was better than Tai because he won pairs and world team cups.

Its irrelevant as Tai has had nobody at his level to compete with him like PC did. Maybe now with Lambert Tai will get other team golds 

36 minutes ago, Gavan said:

Great great rider that PC was you can’t say he was better than Tai because he won pairs and world team cups.

Its irrelevant as Tai has had nobody at his level to compete with him like PC did. Maybe now with Lambert Tai will get other team golds 

spot on...what a rich vein of riders England had all at the same time...louis, Jessup, betts, simmo, Collins, ashby, kennet, Morton, Wilson, wyer.....and we saw these riders every week, no wonder it thrived

Edited by ColinMills

3 hours ago, ColinMills said:

spot on...what a rich vein of riders England had all at the same time...louis, Jessup, betts, simmo, Collins, ashby, kennet, Morton, Wilson, wyer.....and we saw these riders every week, no wonder it thrived

Spot on Colin you have to take into consideration the era and this era was  a very  very strong one god you were doing very well just to get near a WTC squad.

7 hours ago, bruno said:

Will Tai be younger if he wins his 3rd title than what Ivan was when he won his first? Therefore could Tai go on to win 7!

If he wins seven Bruno that would be great but does that tell you the overall level might not be as tough as some of the other era's.Also with the way the series is now the scoring system (etc) i believe Ivan winning 6 one off finals was alot harder than winning the series as it is now both of course take different qualities to do so.

Not sure about that Sid id argue that any one of the 15 could win a gp on any given night although I suppose you could argue realistically only maybe half a dozen if that ,could win it overall. Saying that in the one offs there were very few shocks over the years and again realistically only half a dozen had a chance on the night. 

27 minutes ago, bruno said:

Not sure about that Sid id argue that any one of the 15 could win a gp on any given night although I suppose you could argue realistically only maybe half a dozen if that ,could win it overall. Saying that in the one offs there were very few shocks over the years and again realistically only half a dozen had a chance on the night. 

Just felt the pressure was different Bruno you have a poor Gp you know you can regroup and win the next two to make up.In the old format if you needed 8 to qualify and you had two efs you were in trouble.Hand on heart i believe Tai,Bartosz, Doyley, Magic are the only riders at the moment who can win over a longer format that could change.But as you pointed out generally in the 70s did you ever look farther than Mauger, Olsen, Michanek,Lee,Collins ?

• Like 1

When trying to determine who is the greatest from the Uk you have to take into account what was going on at different times.  Late 50's-early 60's there were 5 riders starting from 30 yard back - Craven, Briggs, Moore, Knutsson and Fundin - the untouchables, the aliens, call them what you will, it was between them 5, but that competition was HOT, but only one from the UK..  They really were a cut above the rest.    Go into the 70's and the field was MUCH wider, Louis, Jessup, Betts, Simmo, Collins, Ashby, Kennet, Morton, Wilson, Wyer already been mentioned - throw in some fabulous foreigners and becoming a UK world champ became seriously more difficult due to the spread of talent.  Same with the 80's/early 90's.  Now, from the UK, Tai has has had no serious competition from a UK rider, and I got to say, a few years when the number of GP riders that could win a GP series has been depleted.  Not today though, 

This all makes determining who is the greatest Uk world champ ever very difficult.   I prefer to leave things at that - each era we have had something special, I just treasure that in my mind. We never going to get Craven, Collins, Lee, Woffinden on the same track with the same machines. Just treasure what we have had.

Edited by OveFundinFan
  • Like 4

14 minutes ago, OveFundinFan said:

When trying to determine who is the greatest from the Uk you have to take into account what was going on at different times.  Late 50's-early 60's there were 5 riders starting from 30 yard back - Craven, Briggs, Moore, Knutsson and Fundin - the untouchables, the aliens, call them what you will, it was between them 5, but that competition was HOT, but only one from the UK..  They really were a cut above the rest.    Go into the 70's and the field was MUCH wider, Louis, Jessup, Betts, Simmo, Collins, Ashby, Kennet, Morton, Wilson, Wyer already been mentioned - throw in some fabulous foreigners and becoming a UK world champ became seriously more difficult due to the spread of talent.  Same with the 80's/early 90's.  Now, from the UK, Tai has has had no serious competition from a UK rider, and I got to say, a few years when the number of GP riders that could win a GP series has been depleted.  Not today though, 

This all makes determining who is the greatest Uk world champ ever very difficult.   I prefer to leave things at that - each era we have had something special, I just treasure that in my mind. We never going to get Craven, Collins, Lee, Woffinden on the same track with the same machines. Just treasure what we have had.

Only a minor point Ove, I think it it was 20 yards back. There were scratch riders (the majority), 10 yard men,  (McKinlay, How etc.) and the Famous 5 off 20 yards. Briggo complained, even though he got more per point for the handicapping, that it cost more in engine wear and repair than the extra money provided, quite apart from the effort and risk trying to pass the lesser riders. It was soon scrapped.

Thanks bill94d for setting me right. You know, as I was typing it I was thinking “was it 20 yards or 3O yards”, glad to be corrected. Thanks.

• Like 1

I don’t agree I think that pretty much all of the field with the possible exception of Pawlicki and Cook can all win a Gp on a given night.

Go back a to the beginning of the decade and I would say it was only 6 or 7 that could be classed as a likely winner such really was the dominance of Rickardsso Crump

9 hours ago, ColinMills said:

All good riders but also made to look better by the format at the time. Put them in today's format and suddenly they're classed as decent rather than very good. It's why some of them could consistently get to World Finals and contend, whilst others never really did (not just these but other 'heat leaders' from that era, not just British).

• Like 1

1 hour ago, OveFundinFan said:

Think you are spot on OVE i bet you feel privalaged that you have seen so many great riders in your lifetime!!!!.Every rider can only beat what is put in front of him also now the bikes have changed one hell of alot.My few regrets that i have in speedway are that i never saw Craven/ Knutsson ride and that i never saw Fundin and Briggs at there peak.

6 minutes ago, BWitcher said:

All good riders but also made to look better by the format at the time. Put them in today's format and suddenly they're classed as decent rather than very good. It's why some of them could consistently get to World Finals and contend, whilst others never really did (not just these but other 'heat leaders' from that era, not just British).

I would say though Witcher forget averages formats (ect)  those riders rode in a era that was a far higher standard that Tai has ever rode in over here.As Ove pointed out  Tai has never really been pushed in the Uk what i would say is Tai has rode in a mega tough Polish league for years My point is the old British league  was of a high standard  everyweek tough different tracks different challenges  at one time it was the BEST.

• Like 2