British Speedway Forum
racers and royals

German GP Teterow Saturday September 22nd

2 hours ago, ancient mariner said:

Natalie Quirk is at least as good and probably a better and more knowledgeable presenter than almost all of her male predecessors. I'll agree that most of the pits interviews are bordering on banal, but who really cares if it is a male or female interviewer? All I want is sensible questions from someone who knows what they are talking about  

Disagree on the banal side. She's the best lead presenter/interviewer we have had for a long time (regardless of sex). She is very knowledgeable, personable and fills in those llong gaps during grading breaks with Scott really well.

Tatum adds good technical knowledge before, during and after a meeting.

The only issue Sky and now BT have is Pearson, he's an awful biased and repetitive commentator. He's almost gone an entire season starting virtually every race with 'here we go' and saying 'well, well, well' at every controversial incident.  A couple of seasons ago Chris Louis and Tatum commentated one of the play off semi's I think, and they did a very good job.

• Like 2

46 minutes ago, TheReturn said:

Disagree on the banal side. She's the best lead presenter/interviewer we have had for a long time (regardless of sex). She is very knowledgeable, personable and fills in those llong gaps during grading breaks with Scott really well.

Tatum adds good technical knowledge before, during and after a meeting.

The only issue Sky and now BT have is Pearson, he's an awful biased and repetitive commentator. He's almost gone an entire season starting virtually every race with 'here we go' and saying 'well, well, well' at every controversial incident.  A couple of seasons ago Chris Louis and Tatum commentated one of the play off semi's I think, and they did a very good job.

Sorry, but I think you misunderstand my post. I'm not suggesting that Natalie Quirk's pit interviews are bordering on the banal; pit interviews conducted by some others are a different matter.

Indeed I'm full of admiration for Natalie Quirk's knowledge and professionalism

Edited by ancient mariner
Clarification of original post
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, adonis said:

nothing unusual here .Bwitcher inventing something  to suit his argument .  now forever and a day he'll be posting the same invention  as if you said you were in the pub yourself

Bless.

Let's not also forget your rants at the MDL having 'younger' riders too.. If it's not the pesky Aussies, it's them kids! 

It was Tsunami who called you out on that one... for the same reason though.

Edited by BWitcher

5 hours ago, ColinMills said:

I don't recall riders given byes into the final? not saying you are wrong, just don't remember that

Title holders Craven in 1956 and Briggs in 1959 were both seeded direct to those finals.

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, Sotonian said:

Title holders Craven in 1956 and Briggs in 1959 were both seeded direct to those finals.

Always liked to have my twopence worth,     To me those Wembley finals where always special.   every third year,  we never missed one from 55 onwards.   It wasn't that the track was great, or the racing being top notch,   but the atmosphere and the crowd always made it special.   Every race had an angle to it,   the World title was up for grabs.     The Buzz around the place made it an event that will never be bettered... 

The SGP's are a different animal,   yes, I enjoy them but feel they become much of a muchness.    I would never miss a Wembley Final, but I've missed two rounds this year already..   They don't have the same  cut and thrust approach as the single final did and most riders will adapt it'll do attitude, knowing its points that count at the end of the day.      Its a pity the FIM cant accommodate both,  with a single final being held at the end of the year .

As for the best British Rider of all time,  Woffy is as good as any I've seen.    Being a die-hard  Lee supporter, its hurts to admit that Woffy is that good.  Its difficult to compare riders from different era's ,   but what make Woffy so special, is he is the only British rider able to compete with the top riders in the world...     I'm hoping Lambert will progress to that stage in the near future.  ....

• Like 3

25 minutes ago, g13webb said:

Always liked to have my twopence worth,     To me those Wembley finals where always special.   every third year,  we never missed one from 55 onwards.   It wasn't that the track was great, or the racing being top notch,   but the atmosphere and the crowd always made it special.   Every race had an angle to it,   the World title was up for grabs.     The Buzz around the place made it an event that will never be bettered... 

The SGP's are a different animal,   yes, I enjoy them but feel they become much of a muchness.    I would never miss a Wembley Final, but I've missed two rounds this year already..   They don't have the same  cut and thrust approach as the single final did and most riders will adapt it'll do attitude, knowing its points that count at the end of the day.      Its a pity the FIM cant accommodate both,  with a single final being held at the end of the year .

As for the best British Rider of all time,  Woffy is as good as any I've seen.    Being a die-hard  Lee supporter, its hurts to admit that Woffy is that good.  Its difficult to compare riders from different era's ,   but what make Woffy so special, is he is the only British rider able to compete with the top riders in the world...     I'm hoping Lambert will progress to that stage in the near future.  ....

What would make that different to it just being another GP ????

25 minutes ago, g13webb said:

Again.. the bold parts simply aren't true.

There were certain races which obviously fitted, but many did not.

For sheer excitement/tension however, of course the one off World Final was better.

I prefer GPS to the one offs just my preference, however on another slight on it ,imagine a one off final with the gp riders from this year or maybe last year . Brutal or what

• Like 1

wtf is going on here? I thought this thread was about the German SGP at Teterow. On the last few pages yous havent even mentioned it. This here is not about preferring GP or World Final, and also not about who the best ever british rider is. 

I guess this was one of the best racing we have seen at Teterow so far. Unfortunately it is not a proper racetrack, but yesterday proofed there is some passing possible. I enjoyed a good night of speedway. thumbs up and well done to the track staff. That rain was noones fault and i think they made the best out of it. 

• Like 4

6 hours ago, BWitcher said:

Bless.

Let's not also forget your rants at the MDL having 'younger' riders too.. If it's not the pesky Aussies, it's them kids! 

It was Tsunami who called you out on that one... for the same reason though.

have you ever thought about writing a book ?  your ability to fantasise is second to none . I dont imagine your medication would hold you back either ..talk it over with you psyciatrist at  this weeks appointment

10 hours ago, norbold said:

I don't think you can base an opinion on who was the best British rider ever on just one heat. I am sure riders like Tom Farndon, Eric Langton, Peter Craven, Peter Collins, Michael Lee, Mark Loram also rode individual heats that showed the same qualities. Perhaps it's more a matter of long term consistency that makes a rider the best. I'm not saying Tai isn't the best ever, just that there are a lot of things to consider rather than one heat and there is no doubt that Tai is up there with the best. But THE best, that's a really difficult conclusion to reach about any rider.

I think you missed the point , do you seriously think I based my assessment on that heat alone, I've watched Tai since he was a kid in Australia riding juniors.His results speak for themselves and I'm sure Rob would be smiling down on him.

Chopper

• Like 1

2 hours ago, chopper said:

I think you missed the point , do you seriously think I based my assessment on that heat alone, I've watched Tai since he was a kid in Australia riding juniors.His results speak for themselves and I'm sure Rob would be smiling down on him.

Chopper

It makes me laugh when a poster signs his post with a imaginary name.   Good work "Chopper".   :D:D

Edited by Mark

4 hours ago, adonis said:

have you ever thought about writing a book ?  your ability to fantasise is second to none . I dont imagine your medication would hold you back either ..talk it over with you psyciatrist at  this weeks appointment

No need for fantasy Speedibee/Adonis.

On 5/10/2017 at 11:22 PM, Tsunami said:

Quite agree, Bewley is the one exception in all the list of riders mention in this thread that wasn't a BYC product. The rest have progressed thought the BYC that Neil controls, and controls very well. speedibee has his own problem as his lad is an older rider and Neil tried to make common rule for all Junior leagues such as the MDL and the NJL which I have a young team in. Neil wanted to have each team to have 2 500's and 2 125's in each team such as our NJL. This brings in youngsters earlier, and the new bunch of riders coming though the under 15 age are generally developed by that team structure. The MDL with speedibee's son, wanted to ride with 4 500s to make sure they got the rides. All about looking after his lad not rider development.

As I said, Tsunami had called you out in the past whinging about younger riders... 

So feel free to insult as much as you wish if you wish to embarrass yourself still further.

We're still waiting for the 'at least twelve' British riders who are/were better than Tai Woffinden...

14 hours ago, g13webb said:

Totally agree with everything you said  and as Norbold said all the greats had quality in a different way.Price,Farndon,Craven,Lee, Collins,Williams ( Welsh) Tai you can only beat what is in front of you at the time.I was never a fan of Tai never ever wanted him to be mentioned in the same breath as Lee but you have to.He has grown on me and i have great respect for what he has achieved and I hope it continues with Lambert soon joining him.

Edited by Sidney the robin

6 hours ago, BWitcher said:

No need for fantasy Speedibee/Adonis.

As I said, Tsunami had called you out in the past whinging about younger riders... 

So feel free to insult as much as you wish if you wish to embarrass yourself still further.

We're still waiting for the 'at least twelve' British riders who are/were better than Tai Woffinden...

and to think  , you wanted people who had mental illness put down , good job you didn't get your way or you wouldn't be here today making stuff up .