British Speedway Forum
Sign in to follow this  
topaz325

Workington v Ipswich 18/08/2018 Ch 7:00pm

3 minutes ago, Lord Lucan said:

Couldn't agree more, very poor track, little or no passing, 15 fast FTG races? Bit of an arm wrestle to get the job done tho with a couple of, shall we say, under par performances but a wins a win and stopping Ipswich getting anything is a bonus considering how well they were going? :t: Any news on Schlein after the meeting ended, had to make an abrupt exit tonight and never heard anything else beforehand, took a right clout into the fence.... hope he's OK!! :t:

Rumour was a foot injury maybe broken ankle?

• Thanks 1

1 minute ago, topaz325 said:

Rumour was a foot injury maybe broken ankle?

Hopefully it's not that serious, when you're having a hard time that's the last thing you need? :(

I was really looking forward to this one, but it turned out to be a stop start non event. The tone was set when in order to ensure the meeting was run before the forecasted rain came the parade was cancelled, only for the racing to be delayed due to lack of medical cover!

From there on in the meeting didn't ever take off, with very little if any overtaking and every race being ftg.

Hopefully no one incurred any serious injuries, though the track did not appear to be in anything like the condition it has been. Possibly due to the recent weather.

For the Comets Rene was our trump card yet again, ably supported by Ty and Nicolai. Most of the witches picked up points when they gated, with young Drew Kemp on the pace and looking a prospect. As for Rory the hint of rain in the air and the small puddle on the inside of bend 4 obviously did for him, with his spill in heat 13 putting the tin cap on it - hopefully he wasn't badly hurt.

I guess the 3 points are the main thing, however it is not one to live in the memory for long.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, dontforgetthefueltapsbruv said:

Disappointed not to pick up a point

Good to see the Cam we all know is in there show himself tonight

Whilst not scoring reports suggest Drew was pretty much on the pace

Very much hope in 2-3 years we see his battles with Bickley being at the higher end of the top league

drew kemp looked like hell do ok 

bike was more than fast enough around Derwent park so hell soon find some points id say 

cam looked your best rider of the night aswell 

sometimes riders that are getting knocked by the home fans just need a track that suits them better 

track was crap tonight but cam obviously likes big slick tracks

don't care if rain was forcast they should have watered either before or at first track grade

I thought this one was going to be close and it was for most of the meeting. The track was surprisingly disappointing producing very few passes and appearing to catch a lot of riders out.

There was never more than 4 points between the teams until the Comets took a stranglehold with a 5-1 in heat 13 which also seen Rory Schlein taking a nasty looking tumble.

For the Comets Rene,  Ty and Nicolai underpinned the victory with strong performances.   For the Witches who incidentally won 5 of the first 7 heats Cameron Heeps was best on the night but there was good support   from Riss, Garcia and Worrall. If Rory Schlein hadn't had what was a poor meeting for him then the Witches would have got something and no one could have begrudged them that.

So a good 3 points then in our quest to reach the playoffs.

Next up are the Redcar Bears away which will be just as hard fought and is a great opportunity to get some more points in the bag. However, the Bears have strengthened lately so it won't be easy. 

All riders last night showed great commitment , so another win and all the points, Ipswich were a bit hit and miss the star for them surprisingly was Heeps.

Schlein took a nasty tumble on bends three and four, hope will be ok.

The meeting was not helped by delays some unavoidable by crashes, would have liked to have watched the second half lads but it was getting late.

9 hours ago, scaramanga said:

drew kemp looked like hell do ok 

bike was more than fast enough around Derwent park so hell soon find some points id say 

cam looked your best rider of the night aswell 

sometimes riders that are getting knocked by the home fans just need a track that suits them better 

track was crap tonight but cam obviously likes big slick tracks

don't care if rain was forcast they should have watered either before or at first track grade

The amount of rain we have had here this last week, we were lucky to even get the meeting on, track not the best but as said on Comets Facebook it was under water yesterday morning , so credit where it’s due. Witches a bit disappointing, thought Covatti would have been better he looked quite classy on telly for Somerset, Heeps their best rider. Fab result for our guys, Nicola and Ty sealing the meeting in heat 13 leaving witches to get two 5-1’s in last two heats. Another step closer to the playoffs . Well done boys :t:

• Like 5

1 hour ago, Taylorj said:

The amount of rain we have had here this last week, we were lucky to even get the meeting on, track not the best but as said on Comets Facebook it was under water yesterday morning , so credit where it’s due. Witches a bit disappointing, thought Covatti would have been better he looked quite classy on telly for Somerset, Heeps their best rider. Fab result for our guys, Nicola and Ty sealing the meeting in heat 13 leaving witches to get two 5-1’s in last two heats. Another step closer to the playoffs . Well done boys :t:

If any team deserves to be there, yours definitely does.

• Like 4

What are the rules regarding Tactical substitute , I looked on the BSPA site but the rules were for TR from 2016!!

8 minutes ago, shazza13 said:

Used once after heat 6 not allowed in heat 8 i believe and up to heat 14.when i looked last night

Ok thanks , I did not think it was to be used after heat 12

28 minutes ago, shazza13 said:

Used once after heat 6 not allowed in heat 8 i believe and up to heat 14.when i looked last night

20 minutes ago, topaz325 said:

Ok thanks , I did not think it was to be used after heat 12

TS ride can be used in Ht 5-14 inclusive excluding Heat 8

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, NeilWatson said:

TS ride can be used in Ht 5-14 inclusive excluding Heat 8

How many points does a rider score on a TS ride?

3 minutes ago, Whisperer said:

How many points does a rider score on a TS ride?

The same as what he scores. No doubles.

I was at the meeting with my Gems team and throughly enjoyed the racing, but sadly in front of a poor crowd. Tricky first corner with ridges causing some problems.

Schlein was holding his right knee with a wad of cotton wool and was in some distress. County ambulance was cancelled and Rory was put into the medical room and that freed up the ambulance to allow the last 2 heats to be concluded. At 9.20, immediately after heat 15 the NJL riders were wheeled out, and succeeded in getting all 6 races in by 9.55pm and beating the deadline by 5 minutes. Thanks to all for their hospitality and the cooperation of all, and especially Tony Jackson, for helping to speed things up so that the fans and riders got their full fill of meetings/rides. Tidy second half with the Gems winning 21-15 with some good battles.

• Like 5