British Speedway Forum
Sign in to follow this  
waco

Plymouth v Mildenhall frid 17th aug

Tough ask for Plymouth..Mildenhall are flying can only see an away victory,,

Agreed Waco. But as has been pointed out, only two of the original Devils team remain, all bar one (Cockle) having succumbed to injury (although you could say that Cockle succumbed to self-inflicted injury).

Unfortunate for Plymouth fans that they found themselves with a winning team only for injuries to strike. 

A far better meeting despite the score.

Of course the result was predictable given the Devils injury list.  The pre meeting parade was lead by ex servicemen. Before it got under way, Danny Ayres stood and chatted with them and shook their hands. You could see their pride as he did so.

Before the meeting, it was good to meet up and chat with long standing friends Halifaxtiger and Phil Kirk. Easy to see why the Tigers are on course for a NL whitewash of Trophies. 

Some excellent speedway throughout, but the two major talking points were Hts 13 and 15. Heat 13 was absolutely top drawer. Whatever level you enjoy our sport, this race was right up there with the very best. Pearson and Tatum would have exploded with compliments. Three riders side by side for  two and a half laps, with all combinations of results happening on every turn. 3-3 to 2-4 to 1-5 to 2-4 to 3-3 and back again. It is probably the best ever race at the SBA. Extraordinary stuff. Ayres angry that he came 2nd! Full credit to PhilK who waited at the pit gate to congratulate Morley on his win, with a BIG smile on his face too! It was that good.

Ht15 was a strange one. Going into bend tree, Atkins was leading, as Morley dive bombed him, forcing a small error.This in turn took him out into the path of Ayres who was blasting round the outside. Ayres fell. Now for me, stood just in front of the tapes, it was one of two exclusions. Either Ayres for hitting the fence and falling or Morley for causing Atkins into an unnecessary error causing Ayres to fall. Bizarrely, the referee excluded the only totally blameless rider, Atkins!  Even Kevin Jolly was surprised as he shouted to Ayres 'you are back in'!

The following copied from the Plymouth Forum, where I tink the referee contradicts himself! 

Interesting stat.....heats 1-8 we were 16 points down. Heats 9-15 only 2 points down.
Heat 13 special. How about heat 15 where Morley tore into bend 3 like a bowling ball.
I asked the referee about his decision. "From my point of view Ben nudged Henry who then nudged Danny causing him to fall. I had to exclude a rider which was a very difficult decision hence the reason for the wait. I felt Henry was the main cause of the stoppage although unluckily"
Fair enough ref. Thank you for the explanation

Read more: http://plymouthdevils.proboards.com/thread/9690/devils-mildenhall-fri-aug-2018?page=5#ixzz5OVhlxEpw

• Like 2

Have to agree about heat 13.  That was one of the best heats I have seen since the start of racing at the SBA in 2006, all the more impressive than Ben lost his steel shoe quite early in the race.

5 hours ago, BobC said:

Of course the result was predictable given the Devils injury list.  The pre meeting parade was lead by ex servicemen. Before it got under way, Danny Ayres stood and chatted with them and shook their hands. You could see their pride as he did so.

Before the meeting, it was good to meet up and chat with long standing friends Halifaxtiger and Phil Kirk. Easy to see why the Tigers are on course for a NL whitewash of Trophies. 

Some excellent speedway throughout, but the two major talking points were Hts 13 and 15. Heat 13 was absolutely top drawer. Whatever level you enjoy our sport, this race was right up there with the very best. Pearson and Tatum would have exploded with compliments. Three riders side by side for  two and a half laps, with all combinations of results happening on every turn. 3-3 to 2-4 to 1-5 to 2-4 to 3-3 and back again. It is probably the best ever race at the SBA. Extraordinary stuff. Ayres angry that he came 2nd! Full credit to PhilK who waited at the pit gate to congratulate Morley on his win, with a BIG smile on his face too! It was that good.

Ht15 was a strange one. Going into bend tree, Atkins was leading, as Morley dive bombed him, forcing a small error.This in turn took him out into the path of Ayres who was blasting round the outside. Ayres fell. Now for me, stood just in front of the tapes, it was one of two exclusions. Either Ayres for hitting the fence and falling or Morley for causing Atkins into an unnecessary error causing Ayres to fall. Bizarrely, the referee excluded the only totally blameless rider, Atkins!  Even Kevin Jolly was surprised as he shouted to Ayres 'you are back in'!

The following copied from the Plymouth Forum, where I tink the referee contradicts himself! 

Interesting stat.....heats 1-8 we were 16 points down. Heats 9-15 only 2 points down.
Heat 13 special. How about heat 15 where Morley tore into bend 3 like a bowling ball.
I asked the referee about his decision. "From my point of view Ben nudged Henry who then nudged Danny causing him to fall. I had to exclude a rider which was a very difficult decision hence the reason for the wait. I felt Henry was the main cause of the stoppage although unluckily"

Read more: http://plymouthdevils.proboards.com/thread/9690/devils-mildenhall-fri-aug-2018?page=5#ixzz5OVhlxEpw

Great post, Robert. 

No need for me to say anything :D

On 8/18/2018 at 7:57 AM, BobC said:

I think this is another potential example of the need to scrap the ruling that there must be an exclusion following a stoppage. If this was first bend it would be all 4 back. Because the riders have continued to race side by side for longer than the first bends there has to be an exclusion, whilst rare this happens and surely the potential option for racing incidents with no direct fault and all riders return for a rerun has to be considered not just with the occasion but in  future likely situations too....?

• Like 1