British Speedway Forum
Sign in to follow this  
Whisperer

Ronnie Moore

It's rare that you can call a speedway rider graceful but that smooth style of his, letting the bike do all the work, was a joy to see, especially at Plough Lane.

I recall him winning a race at Cradley in a ridiculously slow time with his bike popping and banging for nearly all four laps but his skill was such that nobody could get past him.

RIP Ronnie.

• Like 1

Remember him riding for The Dons when I supported them mid-late 60s, legend.

R.I.P.

Edited by auntie doris

On ‎8‎/‎21‎/‎2018 at 4:45 PM, auntie doris said:

Remember him riding for The Dons when I supported them mid-late 60s, legend.

R.I.P.

R.I.P.  and in a sad coincidence he and fellow team mate, Bob Dugard with whom he rode in 1969 and 1970 both died within a week of each other. Other Dons of the same era but since passed away include Cyril Maidment,  (Slim) Jim Tebby, and Garry Middleton.

Edited by tocha
missed out a word
  • Like 2

Brilliant multi-page tribute to Ronnie Moore in today's Speedway Star. The (older) writers have really come in to their own in the last few weeks and months when they have had to cover the deaths of such big names in the Sport.

They clearly write from great knowledge and personal experience that hasbeen wonderful to read; despite the tragic circumstances.

Puts some of the modern articles on up to date issues that, all too often, do little more than regurgitate press releases into the shade.

And the brilliant cover photo of Ronnie is just as stunning as the earlier one of Ivan ... Just great.

Edited by Grand Central
  • Like 6

16 minutes ago, Grand Central said:

Brilliant multi-page tribute to Ronnie Moore in today's Speedway Star. The (older) writers have really come in to their own in the last few weeks and months when they have had to cover the deaths of such big names in the Sport.

They clearly write from great knowledge and personal experience that hasbeen wonderful to read; despite the tragic circumstances.

Puts some of the modern articles on up to date issues that, all too often, do little more than regurgitate press releases into the shade.

And the brilliant cover photo of Ronnie is just as stunning as the earlier one of Ivan ... Just great.

THANKS for the comment although, naturally, would prefer not to have to go down that road. Always struck in old photos, like the one of Ronnie above, how the handlebars of their day differ from the modern bike. In years gone by riders travelling by air to meetings across Europe would often take their handlebars with them as hand luggage. Wouldn't get away with that now!

• Like 1

Such a shame that Tony Mac was unable to interview Ronnie before his sad parting. Would have made a great read in the 'Classic' Speedway magazine.

20 hours ago, PHILIPRISING said:

THANKS for the comment although, naturally, would prefer not to have to go down that road. Always struck in old photos, like the one of Ronnie above, how the handlebars of their day differ from the modern bike. In years gone by riders travelling by air to meetings across Europe would often take their handlebars with them as hand luggage. Wouldn't get away with that now!

A great tribute by the speedway star i have the original front picture photo a brilliant shot is it a 1969 shot or 68 Phil.? 

11 hours ago, Sidney the robin said:

A great tribute by the speedway star i have the original front picture photo a brilliant shot is it a 1969 shot or 68 Phil.? 

WILL get back to you on that ...

2 hours ago, PHILIPRISING said:

WILL get back to you on that ...

Oh come on, Phil!!!  :rolleyes:  Ronnie didn't come back until 1969!!! :t:

Steve

I was fortunate to see Ronnie Moore at the start and latter stages of his career, although the Jawa   was taking over  he stayed loyal to the JAP throughout his career.  Undoubtedly  one of the greatest riders of all time. Being a Wembley supporter I recall that BBC Sportsview  sent cameras to Wembley for a match  v Wimbledon specifically  to show one heat between Brian Crutcher  and Tommy Price  for Wembley and Ronnie Moore and Barry Briggs for the Dons.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, chunky said:

Steve

9 hours ago, wealdstone said:

I was fortunate to see Ronnie Moore at the start and latter stages of his career, although the Jawa   was taking over  he stayed loyal to the JAP throughout his career.  Undoubtedly  one of the greatest riders of all time. Being a Wembley supporter I recall that BBC Sportsview  sent cameras to Wembley for a match  v Wimbledon specifically  to show one heat between Brian Crutcher  and Tommy Price  for Wembley and Ronnie Moore and Barry Briggs for the Dons.

I KNOW ... was at Heathrow to meet him. My only excuse, was travelling in Poland when I read Sidneys' question and didn't fully take it in. Honest:wub:

11 hours ago, chunky said:

Steve

And Plough Lane was rammed, even Dickie Davis rocked up that night to stop the bar falling over.

On 8/23/2018 at 7:36 PM, steve roberts said:

Such a shame that Tony Mac was unable to interview Ronnie before his sad parting. Would have made a great read in the 'Classic' Speedway magazine.

Interviews here...

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, spinkox said:

Interviews here...

Lovely interview from a modest man for Briggo to say Mirac was better than himself and Ivan says it all really.