British Speedway Forum
Sign in to follow this  
Whisperer

Ronnie Moore

I was lucky enough that my parents moved to near Wimbledon Stadium in 1957 and immediately started going there for Speedway. Ronnie was very soon my hero and I saw him win the World Final at Wembley in 1959. As many have already said he could team ride superbly and from a 30 yard handicap was regularly in the lead by the back straight in five rider handicap races. 

After Peter Craven, my mother's favourite rider, was killed and Ronnie broke his leg and retired my family lost our love of Speedway and only went Stock Car racing for a time but we're soon back watching the bikes and when Ronnie returned I was in seventh heaven, even though he was never quite as dominant as he had been before his time away. 

I got to know him and he was as nice a person as he was a great rider. It is a very sad reflection on the sport in this country that both the BSPA and SCB websites have ignored this news. (Good to see that the BSPA and SCB caught up with the sad news on Monday.) 

RIP Ronnie, you will not be forgotten. 

Edited by Chris116
Spelling! Adding that BSPA and SCB have caught up!
  • Like 2

Ronnie Moore was the finest and most skillful rider I ever saw. In an era when there were so many outstanding riders competing in British Speedway, he was head and shoulders above all of them. I am saddened to hear of his passing and send my sincere condolences to his family.

• Like 2
  • Sad 1

I only saw him ride at the end of his career , when he was past  his best but still a class above most. The thing that stands out in mind is that he was such great stylist. He almost turned riding a motorbike into an are form. 

We can argue about who was the greatest but very, very, few will be held in the high esteem that everybody who ever saw Ronnie ride will hold him.

Sadly I never saw Mirac ride, but Ronnie Moore was a legend for sure.  RIP....

• Thanks 1

Class act. Always great team riding with Cyril Maidment at Wimbledon.

I think that the remark made by Ronnie's old Promoter at Wimbledon,the late Ronnie Greene,said everything.As a rider and a Gentleman Ronnie Moore is second to none.We won't see the likes of Mirac again,but as one lucky enough to meet him and see him ride I feel honoured.  RIP Ronnie, Condolences to your family at this sad time.

One of the greatest riders I've ever seen in my lengthy speedway watching time!

Although he obviously done very well in speedway if Ronnie Moore would of had Ivan Maugers dedication and professionalism he'd of eclipsed Maugers achievements!

RIP. True kiwi speedway legend and alltime great. One of the riders I wish I had been born early enough to see ride. 

Remember seeing him ride when Wimbledon visited Norwich, respected and well-liked rider. Very sad to hear this sad news, he was 85 and had apparently been suffering from lung cancer

On 8/18/2018 at 5:35 PM, Chris116 said:

It is a very sad reflection on the sport in this country that both the BSPA and SCB websites have ignored this news.

I too remember him at Norwich and at Wimbledon when I was foolish enough to criss-cross the country to watch the cream of the action. One of the best riders I have seen in 60+ years of supporting speedway racing.

The fact that the BSPA and SCB websites seem to have ignored his passing tells us much about what is wrong with how the sport is run nowadays. Certainly not being run by gentlemen, nor gentle men and women.

• Like 3

On the brilliant Wimbledon DVD there is some great footage of Ronnie beating Ivan in one race it looked like he had eyes in the back of his head.He countered every Ivan move and his track craft was second to none he is certainly in a top 20 of the greatest ever  speedway riders.