British Speedway Forum
Sign in to follow this  
ruckerroo

Does this league have a future ?

I think many clubs like to use the early season Trophy and challenge matches to test out their new riders and let their more

experienced members settle in and sort out their bikes. So starting from the very beginning with important league matches will

not seem too attractive.

11 minutes ago, East End Fan said:

I think many clubs like to use the early season Trophy and challenge matches to test out their new riders and let their more

experienced members settle in and sort out their bikes. So starting from the very beginning with important league matches will

not seem too attractive.

They can always book themselves into Scunthorpe and test their bikes there pre-season.

• Like 2

13 minutes ago, East End Fan said:

not seem too attractive.

it might not seem more attractive to clubs but it would for fans. The chance of some unpredictable results is something the league as a whole is craving.

Guest GiveusaB

Nothing wrong with a couple of local challenge meetings to blow off the cobwebs....but surely riders don't need 8/9 meaningless cup fixtures?

Besides.....some riders are doubling/trebling up and a lot of the reserves are doing extra practice sessions as and when ?

Let's get straight in to the league encounters by mid-April ?

On ‎8‎/‎21‎/‎2018 at 9:52 AM, GiveusaB said:

May be next season the 'League'; matches should take priority and be completed before a meaningless KOC/National Trophy match ?

I don't understand these other fixtures being called "meaningless" I'd want my team to win every competition they enter! 

• Like 1

Guest GiveusaB

National Trophy is a farce....have you seen Cradley's line-up???

They can't use 2 of their riders coz they're in the opposing side in the Final ???

18 hours ago, GiveusaB said:

National Trophy is a farce....have you seen Cradley's line-up???

They can't use 2 of their riders coz they're in the opposing side in the Final ???

See your point, however..,

Lots of meetings run each week with riders in opposition who have rode for the other team in attendance during the season on an 'ad hoc' basis...

It is just the way British Speedway thinks it can run itself and be successful...

The only way to watch the Sport over here now is to suspend reality, collude with those who run it, and on each side of the safety fence pretend it's authentic...

Completely ridiculous and ludicrous in equal measure, but it is what it is...

Edited by mikebv

Mikebv makes a good point if you look at it in the simplest terms. however, we must consider that all of the riders in the National League are

at best semi-professional, many are just out of school and rely on parents taking time off work to carry them to meetings, and, of course, we

suffer a large number of injuries.  All of this means that teams have riders missing on many occasions.  So, what is the alternative to the

present system of guests and/or r/r ?  :Personally I can't think of one unless you allow European riders into the league on an ad hoc basis

to be used as and when required to cover absences....but, frankly, I doubt it would work...would be against the ethics of the league as a starting

place for bright young Brits......and would cost far too much money.

3 hours ago, East End Fan said:

Mikebv makes a good point if you look at it in the simplest terms. however, we must consider that all of the riders in the National League are

at best semi-professional, many are just out of school and rely on parents taking time off work to carry them to meetings, and, of course, we

suffer a large number of injuries.  All of this means that teams have riders missing on many occasions.  So, what is the alternative to the

present system of guests and/or r/r ?  :Personally I can't think of one unless you allow European riders into the league on an ad hoc basis

to be used as and when required to cover absences....but, frankly, I doubt it would work...would be against the ethics of the league as a starting

place for bright young Brits......and would cost far too much money.

I think in the 3rd Tier 'sharing riders' amongst teams in the same league should be seen as acceptable as it should really be about track time with a 'cursory nod' to there being some tangible reward at the end of the Season by way of a Trophy...

Something akin to kids Sunday League Football where, at its youngest age groups, the competition takes second place to the amount of 'game time' it's competitors get..

Winning is good, and gives an attainment standard, but development of the individual is the key success measure that is followed...

When you go into a 'Pro League' though, that is when it should follow the 'proper sporting ethos' that is universally recognised around the globe...

(And as Sweden and Poland show, it is quite possible to be achieved)...