British Speedway Forum
Sign in to follow this  
Bavarian

Daily Mirror International Tournament 1973

Guest WTF1
5 minutes ago, steve roberts said:

...I would agree with this observation. Personally I don't think that it's loss has been totally recognised and the effect it had on speedway in this country.

As regards the Collins/Michanek clash I think that Ivan Mauger hit it on the head when he observed that there was no way that Peter was going to be blamed for his fall as it took place on an English track in front of mostly English fans and presided over by an English referee (Arthur Humphreys...who, much to Anders' disgust, apologised to him at Reading's next home meeting!)

Yes,  in hindsight which is a wonderful thing Michanek should have bided his time and he probably would have got past as he was a rider who took no prisoners, 

I suppose a few years later if the Penhall/Carter clash in the 1982 American world final had been in England there might have been a different outcome.

I haven't watched much of this yet but I started watching in the 70's and I certainly think you can look back with rose tinted glasses...sure league racing back then was in a different level to now due to more teams, regular matches and settled teams...

But this was highlights and not live so of course it's packaged well with no delays etc..if it was live it would have the same delays as today.. and it does have the crowd with helps..but to say the starts were better back then with less messing about ?....I remember starts taking an age with tape pushing all over the place and basic cheating going on..they are actually quicker on the start line getting underway  now with starts 100 % fairer than back then.....and I've watched old videos from meetings I was at and a lot of racing was underwhelming to say the least...and I watched every week at Hyde Road in the 70's ..speedway racing will never get the crowds on this video again but I certainly think it looks more professional now than ever and the racing when a track is good is probably better than back then on the whole..

I still like to look back at these though but I'm on that say sport moves forward and progresses in all sports...GP's can equal this racing wise 

Ok I'm sure this meeting was great to be at, big crowd, great stadium, as close a finish as you could wish for but...

The starts, while not as bad as some meetings of thst era, typically had the riders already strung out by the first bend.

The track was rubbish with just one line - if that was a GP today everyone would be complaining about the poor track prep and lack of passing. The racing certainly not a patch on the SWC or what SON served up this year.

I disagree with the poster who suggested Mich could have bodes his time - what were there, two passes round the outside all meeting?

Camera angles have certainly improved- not sure how people praise the production when there is no replay of the heat 12 close finish, and heat 2 was missed altogether. I'd also suggest that Briggs as comments guy adds far less than Tatum.

I get why people enjoy this meeting, and fully understand it being memorable due  to the dramatic finish but - I certainly wouldn't trade thst meeting for the world class fare served up the last few seasons in the SGPs plus SWC/SON.

• Like 2

On 9/30/2018 at 2:31 PM, waiheke1 said:

Ok I'm sure this meeting was great to be at, big crowd, great stadium, as close a finish as you could wish for but...

The starts, while not as bad as some meetings of thst era, typically had the riders already strung out by the first bend.

The track was rubbish with just one line - if that was a GP today everyone would be complaining about the poor track prep and lack of passing. The racing certainly not a patch on the SWC or what SON served up this year.

I disagree with the poster who suggested Mich could have bodes his time - what were there, two passes round the outside all meeting?

Camera angles have certainly improved- not sure how people praise the production when there is no replay of the heat 12 close finish, and heat 2 was missed altogether. I'd also suggest that Briggs as comments guy adds far less than Tatum.

I get why people enjoy this meeting, and fully understand it being memorable due  to the dramatic finish but - I certainly wouldn't trade thst meeting for the world class fare served up the last few seasons in the SGPs plus SWC/SON.

Wembley was never a particularly good racing track...too flat although apparently was the same shape as Dudley Wood. However despite the anticipated starts the 1972 World Final must go down as one of the classics with all the drama that unfolded which always adds to the overall experience and excitement whatever the meeting however important in the grand scheme of things. I remember watching the highlights on ITV (yes terrestrial TV in those day!) later that same evening.

Edited by steve roberts

On 10/2/2018 at 9:23 AM, steve roberts said:

Wembley was never a particularly good racing track...too flat although apparently was the same shape as Dudley Wood. However despite the anticipated starts the 1972 World Final must go down as one of the classics with all the drama that unfolded which always adds to the overall experience and excitement whatever the meeting however important in the grand scheme of things. I remember watching the highlights on ITV (yes terrestrial TV in those day!) later that same evening.

Wembley was never a great track, far too narrow for my liking. The sense of occasion made up for it. As a kid, i loved going there for league matches in the 1970's. March of the gladiators at parade time, David Hamilton on the mic and big crowds. The quality of racing didn't seem to matter much back then.

• Like 1

In those days they knew how to put on a show!!!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, cityrebel said:

Wembley was never a great track, far too narrow for my liking. The sense of occasion made up for it. As a kid, i loved going there for league matches in the 1970's. March of the gladiators at parade time, David Hamilton on the mic and big crowds. The quality of racing didn't seem to matter much back then.

...and Ed Stewart of course! Just been reading Bert Harkins' book and his time spent as a 'Lion'. Good read!

1 hour ago, steve roberts said:

...and Ed Stewart of course! Just been reading Bert Harkins' book and his time spent as a 'Lion'. Good read!

Martin Rogers followed the dynamic duo on the mic in 1971.