British Speedway Forum
cinderfella

Championship League Riders Championship

I seem to remember Zetterstrom copping a ban for choosing Poland over this . That kind of action is no longer a viable option now that Poland are the Exhalted ones in Planet speedway . 

But you honestly cant blame any rider , these BSPA events are poorly paid and riders would probably earn more after one race in Poland than they would get for winning this . 

As for Cook's participation , yes it's a bit daft having only ridden two meetings for us , but does it not make it a better meeting him riding in it ? Been a long time since the riders championship in both top leagues had any relevance , they really are just another run of the mill open meetings . But i never turn down an excuse to have a piss up in the New Barrack Tavern, so i'll be there . 

• Like 3

I think it is now time to scrap this competition, as others have said it is not a serious meeting anyway, riders riding with only 2 matches to qualify, one rider riding in Poland, I thought all riders had to commit to riding in this meeting if they qualified, and you can bet others will withdraw either on the day or the day before due to mysterious problems that will immediately disappear

Lets just have an open meeting with riders invited, although how you would get agreement on that is beyond me

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Paulco said:

As for Cook's participation , yes it's a bit daft having only ridden two meetings for us , but does it not make it a better meeting him riding in it ? Been a long time since the riders championship in both top leagues had any relevance , they really are just another run of the mill open meetings . But i never turn down an excuse to have a piss up in the New Barrack Tavern, so i'll be there . 

it does make it better meeting I agree, but who has he replaced, would it have been a better meeting with them in it and withdraw one of the others, where do we stop,

do we say certain riders have no chance of winning so what's the point of them riding?

are there riders not riding, who have ridden in CL this year, who perform better at Sheffield?

they would also make for a better meeting, where do we stop, or do we just invite the 16 riders we think would perform at Sheffield?

Like Paulco says no one really cares what you call the meeting and who is there nowadays,for most clubs it's a supporters bus trip and a good day out and hope to see a decent speedway meeting.Result is irrelevant .

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, Fromafar said:

Like Paulco says no one really cares what you call the meeting and who is there nowadays,for most clubs it's a supporters bus trip and a good day out and hope to see a decent speedway meeting.Result is irrelevant .

Definition of speedway these days. Do bus trips still exist :shock:

7 minutes ago, Crump99 said:

They do in berwick :D

• Thanks 1

9 minutes ago, Crump99 said:

Berwick and Glasgow certainly do.Their fans fans still enjoy a day out even if the result doesn't go their way:D:drink:

• Like 2

39 minutes ago, Normski said:

They do in berwick :D

and Newcastle.

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, allthegearbutnaeidea said:

Do mini vans count?

Wey aye. :D

Must be a northern concept.

• Thanks 1

Riders Championship was always a big occasion in days gone by especially at Wimbledon. Best dressed bus nowadays a 1 in 4 chance of winning it, Miss NL Speedway as it was then all leading up to the meeting itself.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Normski said:

Riders Championship was always a big occasion in days gone by especially at Wimbledon. Best dressed bus nowadays a 1 in 4 chance of winning it, Miss NL Speedway as it was then all leading up to the meeting itself.

Same as the Provincial League Riders Championship at Belle Vue in the 60's.  Great day out with the Zoo and then the Speedway at night, and chips on the way home. We sent over 19 bus loads in about 1964ish.

On 8/20/2018 at 6:32 PM, The Third Man said:

sorry , quoted wrong post . 

Edited by jenga

24 minutes ago, Tsunami said:

Same as the Provincial League Riders Championship at Belle Vue in the 60's.  Great day out with the Zoo and then the Speedway at night, and chips on the way home. We sent over 19 bus loads in about 1964ish.

who were your riders in those days ?