British Speedway Forum
cinderfella

Championship League Riders Championship

The provincial League was the second tier of British speedway and Newcastle's representative and Winner in 1963 and 1964 was Ivan Mauger.

The Polish playoffs commence on the same day as this meeting. So expect some changes to that lineup.

7 hours ago, jenga said:

who were your riders in those days ?

Ivan Mauger, Russ Dent, Goog Allen, Mike Watkin, Ken Sharples, Jack Winstanley, Bill Andrews, Peter Kelly and Morrie Robinson all rode that year I believe.

http://www.newcastlespeedwayhistory.co.uk/1960 2.htm  Scroll down for 1964.

is the carvery on can anypne tell me please and can you book online thanks 

11 hours ago, jenga said:

who were your riders in those days ?

Mauger, Brian Craven, Brian Brett, Peter Kelly. Remember in '65/66 we were the team that the new structure in the Shawcross Report was based on. Provincial League teams had to strengthen up to us, and the British League had to drop to our level. Great days and great support. 

27 minutes ago, Fozzie4388 said:

On the events section on bspa site Adam Ellis is listed instead of Nick Morris

Here we go!

• Like 1
  • Sad 2

Looks like Palm Toft and Covatti is in and Steve Worrall and Schlein missing from original lineup too.

Edited by Fozzie4388
  • Sad 1

1 hour ago, Tsunami said:

Mauger, Brian Craven, Brian Brett, Peter Kelly. Remember in '65/66 we were the team that the new structure in the Shawcross Report was based on. Provincial League teams had to strengthen up to us, and the British League had to drop to our level. Great days and great support. 

Remember 63 , top4 to final ,riders protested about last 2 qualifiers as 5 riders had same points and they hadn't raced each other in meeting due to format,Jimmy Squibb led the protest and sat at tapes,so the had a run off to decide last 2 Ross Gilbertson and George Hunter got through.( they were the original finalists before protest ).Ivan had a bit of luck as Hunter  bike packed up when leading final.Great meetings though.

5 hours ago, StevePark said:

Ivan Mauger, Russ Dent, Goog Allen, Mike Watkin, Ken Sharples, Jack Winstanley, Bill Andrews, Peter Kelly and Morrie Robinson all rode that year I believe.

http://www.newcastlespeedwayhistory.co.uk/1960 2.htm  Scroll down for 1964.

wow , some great names in that lot . i will read it all later . thanks for having the time to put it on here . 

31 minutes ago, Fromafar said:

Remember 63 , top4 to final ,riders protested about last 2 qualifiers as 5 riders had same points and they hadn't raced each other in meeting due to format,Jimmy Squibb led the protest and sat at tapes,so the had a run off to decide last 2 Ross Gilbertson and George Hunter got through.( they were the original finalists before protest ).Ivan had a bit of luck as Hunter  bike packed up when leading final.Great meetings though.

That was my first 'away' meeting. I remember Clive Featherby being one of the group of riders on 12 points, I think. Disappointed that he didn't win it, but Ivan deserved it.

Chris Harris has now also withdrawn as he is now riding in the GB team at the World Long Track Team Final.

Thought this meeting took place on the Saturday Sept 1st

Owlerton has dog racing on Saturday nights, it's always been scheduled for Sunday 2nd.