British Speedway Forum
cinderfella

Championship League Riders Championship

41 minutes ago, Midget said:

Looked like a fish our of water in the grand prix. 

Perhaps like many before him he hasn't got the budget that is really required.
Jason Lyons struggled when he qualified and he later said the only thing he learned was that there was better ways to spend his money. He spent nights at GPs sleeping in the back of his van while the likes of Tony Rickardsson and Nikki Pederson had motor homes that wouldn't have looked out of place in a F1 paddock.
Cookie will come out of the GP financially poorer but a better rider from the experience.

• Like 7

1 hour ago, Midget said:

Got to be honest, really disappointed that cook won today, he should never have been allowed back into this league never mind this meeting. 

I'm Craig cook I'm a gran prix rider, I won't be competing in the championship next season was his message at The end of last year. 

No Craig your not a gran prix rider, in fact your not even riding to a standard of number 1 for bell vue. Why should you drop back down at your  Willy nilly just because Glasgow are throwing the bucks about?? 

So what would you have said if Sheffield had been successful in their bid to bring Woofy in?
As for Glasgow throwing their cash, why not if they have it? The Glasgow promotion are doing what they think is right to attract crowd and increase attendance thus ensuring the future of the sport in Glasgow. They've modernised the stadium and when you consider a few years back a young Danish rider turned his back on riding for Glasgow  after seeing the  rundown condition of another so called stadium that should be taken as a positive.

Incidentally there are other promotions splashing the cash too if you look but you'd have to take your blinkers off to see that!

• Like 3

Got to laugh at your average British Speedway fan. Cook shouldn't have been allowed to ride in the meeting because having a worse rider in it would have somehow made it a better event apparently?!:blink:

As phil the ace suggested, that's the best big meeting seen at Sheffield for a good few years and Cook played a major part in that.

Cracking evenings entertainment.

• Like 9

2 minutes ago, CB252 said:

Got to laugh at your average British Speedway fan. Cook shouldn't have been allowed to ride in the meeting because having a worse rider in it would have somehow made it a better event apparently?!:blink:

As phil the ace suggested, that's the best big meeting seen at Sheffield for a good few years and Cook played a major part in that.

Cracking evenings entertainment.

and that's what we want entertainment

• Like 3

3 minutes ago, scaramanga said:

and that's what we want entertainment

You want riders who want to win for their fans as well as themselves in this sort of meeting ......... 

• Like 3

Isn't it amazing how folk can decry riders who put their life on the line for our entertainment?
Yes there are riders we  wonder why they are in the team or even allowed on the track but they do it because like real fans they love the sport.
Yes I questioned Cookie's involvement in the meeting but at the end of the day he beat the other 15 riders and that's what it's all about.
If you want to slate riders then maybe you should find another sport

• Like 4

There seemed to be a hell of a sling shot effect coming out of turn 2 on the outside!

Numerous death defying overtakes at that point of the track.

As others have said, that was a superb, and hugely entertaining meeting.

Well done Craig Cook and great to see him jumping the fence and acknowledging the travelling Glasgow fans.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Phil The Ace said:

Hang on a minute. 

He tried to enter the GP series, succeeded in that and yes he then failed in it. But he gave it a go. He diddnt know if he would be world champion or not. And until he tried he would always be thinking would he ever...... 

Loads have entered and realised the GP is next level. 

Cook is best at what he is. A very good British league rider. Yes he's struggled at belle vue this year but he's been fine away from home so it's not all bad this year. 

Agree Cook got to the GPs on merit,but has found out that he is out of his depth in the Main Event nothing wrong with that,but his social media Posts let him down IMO .He is not as good as he thinks he is and can't blame bikes all the time,fair play on his win today though,but that is his level IMO .

• Like 1

Well done to Cookie...great to see him enjoying his racing again. Still a legend (even when wearing red & white). And congrats to Erik Riss on making the final. Great entertainment!

I don't get the argument that GP riders shouldn't be in the Championship - I'm happy to see the best riders possible in the league that I watch my speedway.

Craig is good enough to compete at SGP level, he just needs to believe in himself a bit more. I hope he does himself justice in a GP before the season is out.

• Like 6

Not as good as he thinks he is? On the contrary, I’d suggest that one of Cook’s main issues is his self belief and confidence. 

I’d also add that while doubling up exists any British rider should be entitled to do it if they wish. Cook is riding for Glasgow because he wasn’t able to get a regular ride in Poland so it was mutually beneficial for them to offer him a team place.

• Like 8
  • Thanks 1

Possible the best League Riders meeting that I have seen at Sheffield for a long time.

On Cookies granted  permission to ride the league and the meeting.

I don't mind the fact that he has been allowed in the league even though he is a GP rider personally I don't give a toss, I do have slight reservations that he has not rode enough meetings to qualify but if I was if I would rather have him in or not I would certain prefer to have him in.

In the end although not the best rider in the qualifying heats when it mattered Cookie show his class and turned on the style when it mattered.

Of the riders competing I was particularly impressed with.

Riss (Reminds me so much of another Erik)

Lawson

Howarth

Wright

Auty (till he crashed out)

Proctor (most entertaining rider on show)

Surprise Packages

Summers

Aarnio 

Disappointed

Wells

Nicholls

Covatti.

• Like 1

As a complete neutral, I couldn't give a monkey's that Cook is riding in this league and was allowed in the meeting, just want to see the strongest lineups possible in the meetings I choose to attend up and down the country. That's why I have a dilemma about my first planned visit to Somerset this week being against an Iversenless King's Lynn!!

The likes of Cook and Riss ultimately persuaded me to make my first visit from Coventry to Owlerton...and I'm glad I did. Good racing, well presented stadium and a decent atmosphere with the big crowd. Hope to visit again and great to see all the club colours on show with no disappointing no shows on the day for once!

• Like 3

7 hours ago, Midget said:

Has he really though?? 

The only person he's Stuck two finger up at his himself imo. 

Looked like a fish our of water in the grand prix. 

Instead of making a fist of it what did he do? Dropped back down a level an signed for Glasgow, then has the nerve to hint at a wildcard for next year's gp. 

Watch cook for a few years now, found his level, in fact if any thing he's on the decline, Rob Lambert has overtaken him now 

I think you're forgetting that he was a run off away from competing in next years GP series. 

He might have struggled this season but clearly he's close to that level. 

• Like 6