British Speedway Forum
cinderfella

Championship League Riders Championship

5 hours ago, cinderfella said:

Well the 16 riders have just been named and straight away I've got to ask why the hell is Craig Cook in it bearing in mind he has  only ridden twice for Glasgow.
He is obviously in on last years average (as in all honesty is Steve Worrall).
Surely a minimum number of meetings must be undertaken before a rider is eligible as was the case in the Fours a few years back?
Another cock up by BSPA

Are you having a laugh?

Surely having the strongest possible line-up is a GOOD thing?

I would suggest it's been done on the rolling averages. 

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, lucifer sam said:

Are you having a laugh?

Surely having the strongest possible line-up is a GOOD thing?

I would suggest it's been done on the rolling averages. 

This meeting has always been about qualification, with, not now I know, the number one rider from each team.

it has never been about the top 16 riders in the averages, and there used to be criteria, i.e. a minimum number of matches for your team, before you could ride.

now that seems to have been removed, surely just invite the top 16 riders in the league based on their averages and forget all other qualification criteria

or better still get the top sixteen riders based on their averages at Sheffield, that should give you the best riders for the meeting

Just hope the track man doesn't spill his watering can on the track before the meeting otherwise cook will be looking for a call off. 

Edited by Spl77

15 minutes ago, The Third Man said:

This meeting has always been about qualification, with, not now I know, the number one rider from each team.

it has never been about the top 16 riders in the averages, and there used to be criteria, i.e. a minimum number of matches for your team, before you could ride.

now that seems to have been removed, surely just invite the top 16 riders in the league based on their averages and forget all other qualification criteria

or better still get the top sixteen riders based on their averages at Sheffield, that should give you the best riders for the meeting

Looks like it's the top (available) rider from each of the 11 clubs, plus the top five best No 2 riders.

Both Craig Cook and Steve Worrall have 24 matches on their rolling averages.  Why would you want to exclude them, when they've qualified?

4 hours ago, montie said:

how is putting the leagues best riders in a competion not a good thing?    seems folk just like to pick fault with speedway these days when infact its a bloody great sport

Who said it isn't a good thing. The question is what's the qualifying criteria. It's a great sport badly organised. Blaming people for picking fault when I'm sure that the majority would rather not isn't particularly helpful.

Edited by Crump99
  • Like 1

This is the only mention of the event in the Rule Book:-

1. Supplementary Regulations will be issued at least 14 days prior to the event.         Supp. Regs. include the line-up, riders briefing time, machine examination time, heat format, starting regulations etc., all decided by the BSPA.

Edited by Blackadder

2 hours ago, lucifer sam said:

Looks like it's the top (available) rider from each of the 11 clubs, plus the top five best No 2 riders.

Both Craig Cook and Steve Worrall have 24 matches on their rolling averages.  Why would you want to exclude them, when they've qualified?

Should Cook be riding for Workington then,that's who he rode the majority of his matches for.!!

• Like 1

Nothing against Cookie but it is called the 2018 Championship League Riders Championship for a reason and surely no-one however high their rolling average should be invited after 2 only meetings. Will he himself not be embarrassed to be there?

Yes it is still a great sport, unfortunately run by a group of people who are either completely out of their depth or who constantly have their judgement clouded by intermittent bouts of self interest (or both).

• Like 6

9 hours ago, cinderfella said:

Yeah I think most fans have been wanting an independent ruling body for the last few years.
Promoters will always be looking for what's best for their own team to the detriment of others as we have seen with the fixture fiasco this year. From what I hear there could be one or two clubs struggling to exist by next season.

Only one or two. I reckon you could add a few more to that total. The whole sport is in freefall.

4 hours ago, lucifer sam said:

Mainly because those averages are based on last years figures. Cookie has ridden twice for Glasgow. (BTW I am a Glasgow fan)
AS you said previously maybe they should go for the top 16 riders regardless and then someone like Richie Worrall whose average is almost 2.5 pts higher than some of selected rider would be included.
Over the past 10 years or so the major championships have all become diluted by stupid qualification/selection processes and they don't, like british Speedway in general, have the reputation they once had.

6 hours ago, sparks123 said:

No probem with Cook but do you have any idea why Workington's top rider isn't in the field?

It must be on the current green sheet averages as at present Aaron is above Kevin Doolan.

If he has chose to miss the meeting along with the fours then I don't think he should be allowed to ride in our league next season.

Indeed various riders chose not to ride in it last year (probably not helped by the fact it was held in Glasgow he suggests with tongue firmly in cheek)
Too many of our so called top meetings are devalued by riders picking and choosing what meetings they do. Time the ruling body (and I use that term very much with tongue in cheek) stamped down on that and made these meeting the prestigious meeting they once were.

Cook may not turn up yet like last year, !! Comets No 1 due to be in Poland, probably on the day more riders will have pulled out for one reason or another