British Speedway Forum
Sign in to follow this  
sandman

GPs on TV

Although the coverage is really good for Speedway, I still think it could be made a bit better. For some reason, television seems to not show the true speed. I dont know if different angles would help or what but it is always better in person. I think they should do clips on the contenders in their hometowns, show the race times, and have the brand of the bikes under the names. Just a couple of thoughts, any others? I've gone past my four lines again. Sandman :?:

All good ideas Sandman. I don't care what they do as long as they don't use a webcam on the rider's helmet. Waste of time in my opinion.

There you go - that's only 3 lines but I don't think there is a limit. :P

Have you seen those cool cameras used for track and field on the outside of the fence that moves with them? Problem, with speedway they would have to hit 80 to keep up. I always thought a good angle was on the infield just going into the corner. Shows more what it is really like. Am I a legend in my own mind or what? Sandman :roll:

There has to be a way of getting cameras on the bikes, or riders, that works. Look at the footage you get on F1 now. They have multiple angles on a vehicle that does 200m.p.h. and relys on streamlining for it's speed. Still they found a way, for the benefit of T.V. not the teams or drivers, to make it work. The cameras have an automatic rolling film on them, to maintain a clear vision, so surely the only problem would be the stability of the camera. ;)

agree about the aspect of trying to show how fast the bikes really go.

inside the track is by far the best angle to show that so how about a couple of cameras on the inside.

a camera on the helmet/bike can also work well if done properly... maybe to show replays etc but not necessarily during a race. this would also give people that have never sat on a bike the views you get on a track i.e fence coming towards you at a great speed with no brakes on your bike, and how close other riders actually get to you

As long as they change those ******* helmet colours back! This green is a nigthmare :cry:

It must be difficult to show speed on the tv-sometimes you dont even realise at a meeting just how fast these guys are going.

Your ideas are all excellent ideas though Sandman-anything to get the interest of the punter and inform on even just a little of what is involved in the sport has to be a plus

I do think Television slows things up, even F1. However, put stripes on the fences, so one could get a perspective of distance covered. Also still believe inside camera angles going into corners would help. Also, so many of the racers look the same, a bio in their hometowns, where they live etc would help, to show how different they all are. Good point Lioness, but wonder since I am here in the God forsaken Bahamas, how accesible are the riders now? :?

God forsaken Bahamas?

Maybe we should have a forum convention out there to discuss it! :twisted:

I have the impression that most of the riders are very approachable and accesible but my knowledge is very limited. Perhaps someone like Steve Turner may be more the person to ask-over to you ST

T.V. cameras undoubtedly slow the action down as the camera is following the bike/car. A fixed camera over the start/finish line would give a better idea of the speed as they flash throught the frame. It would also help with close finishes. I agree helmet/bike cameras should only be used for playbacks. I would also like to think Sky have enough experience with speedway to be able to follow the action, and not just the leader. ;):P