British Speedway Forum

Par for the course with Rosco. Rico signed to replace LA didn't happen. Hansi wanted to finish his career at the Abbey. Mattie cruising around on LA's shoulder looking just as good but was let go. Doyley our first WC since Briggo gone in preference for Morris !! and there have been others. 

• Like 2

6 hours ago, Sidney the robin said:

How many clubs have had two World Champions in there history the great Briggo and Doyley two of my all time favourites.It was a great chance to maybe generate more on the gate with Doyley that could of been special but the truth is we just could not afford him.Also I don't know if this is true or not Somerset have they got a sponsor in to cover Jason's wages? by the way he deserves every penny and he was on the gas tonight a full house.

ACES had five craven/fundin/mauger/collins/crump not bad eh !!

• Like 1

Just now, geoff58 said:

ACES had five craven/fundin/mauger/collins/crump not bad eh !!

VUE are the ELITE club though Geoff so fitting they have the most God how great we're all those riders i am happy with Briggo/ Doyley though.!!!!!

2 hours ago, Sidney the robin said:

VUE are the ELITE club though Geoff so fitting they have the most God how great we're all those riders i am happy with Briggo/ Doyley though.!!!!!

yes great riders lol but i also would have loved briggo and doyle riding for the Aces in fact my first ever meeting was BLRC at hyde road 1969 wich briggo won been going ever since so you could say briggo is to blame for my love of the sport lol 

2 hours ago, Sidney the robin said:

Edited by geoff58

7 minutes ago, geoff58 said:

yes great riders lol but i also would have loved briggo and doyle riding for the Aces in fact my first ever meeting was BLRC at hyde road 1969 wich briggo won been going ever since so you could say briggo is to blame for my love of the sport lol 

So Geoff you missed Briggo's first four wins in the BLRC but you were lucky to see him from 1969 onwards.That is a massive regret of mine that i never see him race at that great Hyde Rd circuit i did go there quite a few times from 1975 onwards though which was great my favourite meeting there was the wet 1983 BLRC Lee got his act together beat Nielsen in a run off for a rostrum place Erik won it.

• Like 1

19 hours ago, Crazy robin said:

I know one team manager who didn't 2 times.

Twice ?

I make it THREE times :

Since Doyley became a Swindon asset, he has been loaned out to the following clubs :

Birmingham in 2013

Leicester in both 2014 and 2015

Somerset in 2018

5 minutes ago, jeffster said:

Twice ?

I make it THREE times :

Since Doyley became a Swindon asset, he has been loaned out to the following clubs :

Birmingham in 2013

Leicester in both 2014 and 2015

Somerset in 2018

Never understood why a club would not use a World Champion the following year, makes no sense to me. Has any club ever done that in the past ?

7 minutes ago, BluPanther said:

Never understood why a club would not use a World Champion the following year, makes no sense to me. Has any club ever done that in the past ?

Poole - Mark Loram...?

• Thanks 1

18 minutes ago, BluPanther said:

Per Jonsson in 1991. Apparently wanted too much of a pay rise and so stayed in Sweden. Perhaps no coincidence that Reading won the league in 1990 and 1992 when he was there!

• Thanks 1

41 minutes ago, BluPanther said:

Belle Vue. 

Fundin. Missed UK. 

Mauger - Rider control. 

Crump - Poached whilst new owners took over. 

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, BluPanther said:

Wolves, Olsen won in 75 refused to come back in 76, went to Coventry

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

14 hours ago, Sidney the robin said:

How many clubs have had two World Champions in there history the great Briggo and Doyley two of my all time favourites.

Technically, Doyle wasn't world champion when he rode for Swindon.

Hull Vikings had 8 World Champions :party:.  Read 'em and weep folks:  Ole Olsen (3x, 1 longtrack, 1WTC, 1 World Pairs), Barry Briggs (4x, 2x WTC), Egon Muller (3x long track, 1983), the late great Ivan Mauger (6x, 3x longtrack, 2x World Pairs, 4x WTC), Dennis Sigalos (World Pairs 1982), Joe Screen (U21 1993), Sam Ermolenko (1993, World Pairs, 1 WTC), Paul Thorp (WTC 1989).  Ok, Olsen refused to sign despite being allocated by the 'interest generating' rider control system and it really has to be said only Ivan Mauger won titles while actually a Hull rider but, hey :D....

Edited by martinmauger
added smugness, spelling

Christ, if you use that criteria then there ain’t enough ink for The Aces world champs.