British Speedway Forum

15 minutes ago, Dickie Head said:

Let's hope so but I can see that any favourable decision by the council might be challenged by those who bought houses in the belief that the stadium was going to be some distance away.

If that happens there will be even more delay.

Edited by Aces51

Has anyone considered that winter is coming. Would be a miracle if everything is ready for tapes up in 2019...

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, Aces51 said:

Let's hope so but I can see that any favourable decision by the council might be challenged by those who bought houses in the belief that the stadium was going to be some distance away.

If that happens there will be even more delay.

They can still change the track shape, as they do not need pp for that, but might have to hold fire on replacing any buildings. 

Fantastic news, brilliant.   Stadia UK are always true to their word!  So all the infrastructure will be place perfectly coming tapes up 2019!!!

Sadly, having heard the bull$hit that the same company fed the public of Reading for 7 years - I doubt if anything will happen!

• Like 2
  • Haha 4

So Swindon are going to demolish their existing stadium before planning permission has been granted for a replacement, & they believe this will happen because Gaming International has told them it will. Didn't they also believe previous bollox spouted that a new stadium was already stored in a warehouse somewhere in Wales & ready to be erected within the next week or two, a couple of years ago? Then of course there were the recent "plans" showing a grandstand facing away from the track & a "stadium" that looked like an aircraft hanger with a couple of windows near the roof.I hate saying this, but RIP Swindon speedway.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Liontamer said:

So Swindon are going to demolish their existing stadium before planning permission has been granted for a replacement, & they believe this will happen because Gaming International has told them it will. Didn't they also believe previous bollox spouted that a new stadium was already stored in a warehouse somewhere in Wales & ready to be erected within the next week or two, a couple of years ago? Then of course there were the recent "plans" showing a grandstand facing away from the track & a "stadium" that looked like an aircraft hanger with a couple of windows near the roof.I hate saying this, but RIP Swindon speedway.

They haven't said that they are going to demolish the stadium. They are reshaping the track to 300m's, no planning permission needed for that. It May be a long trip from the pits to the starting line tho', watch those 2 min's lad's. 

The article says that the stands will be taken down when the expected planning permission comes through. The pits will also be moved. None of which affects work on the revised track shape to start immediately.

Lets not forget that the landlords will also want facilities for greyhounds to be in full working order asap!!

1 hour ago, robins les said:

They haven't said that they are going to demolish the stadium. They are reshaping the track to 300m's, no planning permission needed for that. It May be a long trip from the pits to the starting line tho', watch those 2 min's lad's. 

They are going to demolish the buildings on the home & back straight, that is demolishing the stadium to me. Also, it will leave the track completely exposed, can't see the local residents putting up with that can you?

• Like 1

40 minutes ago, Sidney the robin said:

How will the new track look? similar to Somerset maybe. 

Dream on.  Really hope that Robins fans will have a team to support in 2019 but the way things are going it could be a Reading situation all over again. 

1 hour ago, Sidney the robin said:

Will it actually happen ?

Edited by Starman2006

Ronnie Russell said it will be similar to the Melbourne GP track. As I said previously I believe it was almost a “D” shape...recall it to allow for good racing. As many have said, the track can be changed even without any improvements to the “stadium”. A change to the Abbey track will only be a good thing IMO, a smaller track with wider straights will make for better racing. 

• Like 3

More like Smallmead in its present state Sid!

• Haha 1

54 minutes ago, hyabb17 said:

Ronnie Russell said it will be similar to the Melbourne GP track. As I said previously I believe it was almost a “D” shape...recall it to allow for good racing. As many have said, the track can be changed even without any improvements to the “stadium”. A change to the Abbey track will only be a good thing IMO, a smaller track with wider straights will make for better racing. 

Will not mind as long as there is a bit of a straight.