British Speedway Forum

Just now, A ORLOV said:

Will not mind as long as there is a bit of a straight.

Thats what i was told it will be a shorter track, Cant remember how much shorter but i believe it was quite a bit from the present track. I to believe providing, this goes ahead it will make for better closer racing.

5 minutes ago, Starman2006 said:

Thats what i was told it will be a shorter track, Cant remember how much shorter but i believe it was quite a bit from the present track. I to believe providing, this goes ahead it will make for better closer racing.

The eastern end is being moved towards the present pits and I believe the track will be shortened by about 15 to 25 mtrs as the length is coming down from 363 to 300 mtrs.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, Sidney the robin said:

How will the new track look? similar to Somerset maybe. 

You could give David Hemsley a call?

• Like 1

1 hour ago, iainb said:

You could give David Hemsley a call?

Oooh, you bitch!!!!

• Haha 2

So, by next March there will be a new speedway track with a racy pacy shape. The pits will have been moved (hopefully). That's the good news.

But, going by the brief statement, it will probably be surrounded by cleared ground at best. No mention of spectator facilities, parking!!

18 minutes ago, Big Al said:

So, by next March there will be a new speedway track with a racy pacy shape. The pits will have been moved (hopefully). That's the good news.

But, going by the brief statement, it will probably be surrounded by cleared ground at best. No mention of spectator facilities, parking!!

What do you recon 12/16 weeks if you are lucky ( light /weather issues) to do the work that is a big ask.

1 hour ago, Sidney the robin said:

What do you recon 12/16 weeks if you are lucky ( light /weather issues) to do the work that is a big ask.

Building the new track shouldn't be a problem I guess, sounds like a makeover job. But the rest of it??? Those permissions need to come in pretty quick because it sounds a bit tight, if they don't. Wrecking balls would need to start work on Friday, wouldn't they??

12 hours ago, A ORLOV said:

The eastern end is being moved towards the present pits and I believe the track will be shortened by about 15 to 25 mtrs as the length is coming down from 363 to 300 mtrs.

300 metres puts you at the exact same length as the Leicester track.  Hope for your sake that consists of plenty of bend & nice short straights, otherwise it’ll be dire stuff.

Serious question - do the  Swindon greyhounds race through the Winter? (At Poole its 52 weeks a year!!). If so, in addition to their track, what spectator facilities do they require? Surely the landlords Stadia UK or whatever name they go by now - will want to have that up and running asap with little or no lack of continuity.

Edited by Skidder1

47 minutes ago, Skidder1 said:

Serious question - do the  Swindon greyhounds race through the Winter? (At Poole its 52 weeks a year!!). If so, in addition to their track, what spectator facilities do they require? Surely the landlords Stadia UK or whatever name they go by now - will want to have that up and running asap with little or no lack of continuity.

In all honesty I've no idea how it'll work. We can only assume that Stadia UK have factored this into ''their plan''. Obviously most are still very sceptical for obvious reasons.

• Like 1

49 minutes ago, Skidder1 said:

Normally yes, which is why any promises of work starting has been questioned.  It was obvious that any track work could not easily be done during the speedway season and the dog racing limits when work can be done.  So have no idea how and when work can be done on the dog track.

1 hour ago, Mr Bump said:

300 metres puts you at the exact same length as the Leicester track.  Hope for your sake that consists of plenty of bend & nice short straights, otherwise it’ll be dire stuff.

Do not want short straights. 

17 minutes ago, A ORLOV said:

This is the shape. Great racing at Mildenhall ....

Mildenhall.jpg

18 minutes ago, A ORLOV said:

The straights will be shorten, Terry Russell has said as much in the adver. I personally think shorter/wider straights are what's needed. Racing at the abbey has become boring.

“Tight corners and long straights don’t make for the best racing. We believe that by bringing the straights down and making it more of a sweep, it will produce much better racing.”