British Speedway Forum

I might have this all wrong, but as I read TR's comments the track will be re-shaped within the confines of the existing dog track .

The rest of the stadium would be staying exactly as is until such time that the planning is agreed so the dogs can continue without interruption i would imagine??

Just now, hyabb17 said:

The straights will be shorten, Terry Russell has said as much in the adver. I personally think shorter/wider straights are what's needed. Racing at the abbey has become boring.

“Tight corners and long straights don’t make for the best racing. We believe that by bringing the straights down and making it more of a sweep, it will produce much better racing.”

Agree, and I posted that earlier,  they will be a bit shorter and wider but I do not want the straights so short that the track can be ridden as a circle.  

Surely it will be down to the Greyhound people to sort their track out, Work could start on the speedway track Friday morning in theory, I seem to recall Birmingham built their track whilst greyhounds continued to operate

The buildings however are a totally different matter 

Hope it all works out

Edited by sancho

3 hours ago, iainb said:

You could give David Hemsley a call?

They will not be calling on anyone regarding the design of the new track layout and shape. They know it all themselves about how best to please the supporters and their neighbours. We must sincerely hope that what they have in mind is not in slightest bit like Leicester! The Mildenhall shape would be OK but with wider and more banked corners. I remember Hans Nielsen riding Mildenhall as a complete circle, so I hope that Swindon, if it comes about, will not be less than 300 metres.

28 minutes ago, waytogo28 said:

They will not be calling on anyone regarding the design of the new track layout and shape. They know it all themselves about how best to please the supporters and their neighbours. We must sincerely hope that what they have in mind is not in slightest bit like Leicester! The Mildenhall shape would be OK but with wider and more banked corners. I remember Hans Nielsen riding Mildenhall as a complete circle, so I hope that Swindon, if it comes about, will not be less than 300 metres.

The only person they should be calling about the design of the track is Chris Morton.  Goes without saying they won't.

300m is too short to be a genuine top class circuit and there will need to be considerable additional width added to the straights and bends, not to mention the correct amount of banking on the bends.

2 miracles required at Swindon it seems:

1.  They actually get a new track in place.

2. They manage to get the design right.

Hope it all works out for the Swindon fans.

20 hours ago, Liontamer said:

They are going to demolish the buildings on the home & back straight, that is demolishing the stadium to me. Also, it will leave the track completely exposed, can't see the local residents putting up with that can you?

No read it again. It says "The Stands will be demolished when the planning permission is granted. Then new stand etc will be constructed". it will be probably done in 2 stages as new main stand will go what is now the back straight stand & so stand on that side would be demolished 1st & then when that is completed the old main stand would be demolished. That's if it ever happens, I still remain to be convinced.

8 minutes ago, robins les said:

No read it again. It says "The Stands will be demolished when the planning permission is granted. Then new stand etc will be constructed". it will be probably done in 2 stages as new main stand will go what is now the back straight stand & so stand on that side would be demolished 1st & then when that is completed the old main stand would be demolished. That's if it ever happens, I still remain to be convinced.

the new grandstand is supposed to be stored in wales somewhere isn't it that's what Swindon management told everyone !! :unsure:

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

11 hours ago, Sidney the robin said:

I liked Smallmead.

Me too Sid, especially Easter Sunday 2007. Ulamek was superb and Gjedde's  heat 3 last to 2nd past the team riding Zagar and Kolodziej a particular highlight, the teenage Reading fan sat in front of me in the main stand probably still has 'GO ON CHARLIE' ringing in his ears even now :D.

Reading Bulldogs 39
1) Greg Hancock ------ 1*,6,2,0,0 = 9+1 
2) Sam Simota -------- 2,2*,1*,0 = 5+2
3) Matej Zagar -------- 1,0,3,2 = 6
4) Janusz Kolodziej ---- 0,1,1,1 = 3
5) Travis McGowan ---- f,3,2,2,1 = 8
6) Danny Bird --------- exc,0,D.N.R = 0
7) Jason Bunyan ------ 2,2,2,1*,1* = 8+2
Team Manager; Jim Lynch

Swindon Robins 54
1) Leigh Adams ----------- 3,3,3,3,2* = 14+1
2) Tomasz Chrzanowski --- 0,2*,3,0 = 5+1
3) Seb Ulamek ------------ 3,1*,3,3,3 = 13+1
4) Charlie Gjedde --------- 2*,2,1,2* = 7+2
5) Lee Richardson -------- 3,f,2,1 = 6
6) Andrew Moore --------- 1,1,0,0 = 2
7) Mads Korneliussen ----- 3,1,0,3 = 7

Read more: http://speedwayupdates.proboards.com/thread/1769/reading-swindon-ela-1st-30pm?page=1#ixzz5SDiz0KQE

Credit: Speedway Updates

6 hours ago, Dave Jones said:

I might have this all wrong, but as I read TR's comments the track will be re-shaped within the confines of the existing dog track .

The rest of the stadium would be staying exactly as is until such time that the planning is agreed so the dogs can continue without interruption i would imagine??

If the existing dog track is to stay the same, why alter the speedway track at all as part of the stadium redevelopment??

1 minute ago, Skidder1 said:

If the existing dog track is to stay the same, why alter the speedway track at all as part of the stadium redevelopment??

It won't long term , but I got the impression the speedway track would be altered now whilst the rest would only take place after the planning is sorted, whenever that might be.

22 minutes ago, Skidder1 said:

Current track provides awful racing so if they can reconfigure the track all the better for club and league as a whole.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Big Al said:

Building the new track shouldn't be a problem I guess, sounds like a makeover job. But the rest of it??? Those permissions need to come in pretty quick because it sounds a bit tight, if they don't. Wrecking balls would need to start work on Friday, wouldn't they??

Wont be a make over job mate, it will have to be completely re done. Base shale the whole shooting match. So the sooner they crack on the better, give it chance to bed in properly.

Edited by Starman2006

8 hours ago, BluPanther said:

This is the shape. Great racing at Mildenhall ....

Mildenhall.jpg

And thats 300 mtrs is it ? Looks a bit like 260 to me, but the shape is good.

Edited by Starman2006

I never think the racing at Mildenhalls that good, probably because they usually beat us

• Haha 1