British Speedway Forum

Alun Rossiter makes slightly unfortunate choice of words. Shock of shocks. Well maybe but that's down to Jason Doyle to call out isn't it? 

20 hours ago, orion said:

Quite ..you would think that Phil would have had better things to do than  pick up on a minor choice  of words .

Many on here pick up on less, including you.

• Haha 1

I think what Rosco was getting at was it makes sense to consider  negotiating with a rider you do not have to pay a loan fee out for ....not really seeing the point of a debate over what an asset means other than simply that

• Haha 1

17 hours ago, PHILIPRISING said:

ASSETS have no legal basis. A rider without a contract is a free agent. In Poland if a club wants to sign a rider under contract to another track a transfer fee could be involved. But if he has no contract then he can sign for who he wants. 

So when Somerset wanted Chris Holder for the 2018 season, there where reports that Ford wouldn't loan him, and that he said they would have to buy him, he wanted £ 20k. So in fact Ford couldn't do that. Is that correct ?. 

9 minutes ago, Bald Bloke said:

So when Somerset wanted Chris Holder for the 2018 season, there where reports that Ford wouldn't loan him, and that he said they would have to buy him, he wanted £ 20k. So in fact Ford couldn't do that. Is that correct ?. 

Legally.. but it's all a game of favors.. 

9 minutes ago, Bald Bloke said:

Exactly but we were going to use him I think but who knows how it works ?

6 minutes ago, ray c said:

Exactly but we were going to use him I think but who knows how it works ?

I'm thinking Ford thought, I want to use him, but if you have £20k you can have him .. Who knows :P

13 minutes ago, Bald Bloke said:

I'm thinking Ford thought, I want to use him, but if you have £20k you can have him .. Who knows :P

I just think if your not going to use a rider how can you stop him riding elsewhere and demanding a loan fee ?

• Like 1

1 hour ago, ray c said:

I just think if your not going to use a rider how can you stop him riding elsewhere and demanding a loan fee ?

That's what I thought Ray

As a speedway fan who also follows football, I am always amazed that this mysterious 'asset' system remains in speedway. There was a time (not so long ago) when football clubs owned player's registrations, and even at the end of a player's contract could stop a player from playing for someone else, unless a transfer fee was paid between the clubs. This all changed, of course, with what became known as the 'Bosman' ruling by the European court. A Belgian player got his lawyers to argue (successfully) that when his contract with a particular club came to an end he should be free to seek new employment wherever he wished. These days, transfer fees are only paid between football clubs for players who wish to move while they are still under contract. I would suggest it would only take one speedway rider with a decent lawyer to bring this system to an end. 

12 hours ago, ray c said:

you can't. Sooner or later this will be a court case. Assets are a farce, there's no such thing in reality. When a contract runs out a worker can do what he wants and no court would deny this

1 hour ago, ch958 said:

you can't. Sooner or later this will be a court case. Assets are a farce, there's no such thing in reality. When a contract runs out a worker can do what he wants and no court would deny this

Probably before it runs out, given there is no minimum salary and seems employer can terminate at any time for any reason, so presume rider can too?

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, waiheke1 said:

Probably before it runs out, given there is no minimum salary and seems employer can terminate at any time for any reason, so presume rider can too?

Of course, he is self employed.

I always have a chuckle when people get their knickers in a twist when a rider chooses a Polish League fixture over the Elite League.

Rider is their own boss and can choose whatever pleases them. 

30 minutes ago, theblueboy said:

Of course, he is self employed.

I always have a chuckle when people get their knickers in a twist when a rider chooses a Polish League fixture over the Elite League.

Rider is their own boss and can choose whatever pleases them. 

BUT they must also adhere to the terms of their various contracts

22 minutes ago, PHILIPRISING said:

BUT they must also adhere to the terms of their various contracts

Otherwise their contracts could be terminated...oh hang on, they can be anyway. And what happens again if they aren't being paid per the terms of their contract?