British Speedway Forum

2 category one greyhound competitions have been cancelled at swindon this yr, the arc and now the oaks. Very nasty smell eminating from blunsdon of late

• Sad 1

news on greyhound forum this evening that swindon closes 31st dec obviously not confirmed,with all sorts of problems at poole maybe stadia uk are going to concentrate on poor torquay !!

• Like 1

12 hours ago, poole keith said:

news on greyhound forum this evening that swindon closes 31st dec obviously not confirmed,with all sorts of problems at poole maybe stadia uk are going to concentrate on poor torquay !!

Can you link that post please?

16 hours ago, poole keith said:

Care to share Keith. If the tints ok it that is :P :t:

Edited by Bald Bloke

6 minutes ago, Bald Bloke said:

He might mean the redevelopment that is supposed to be happening around the stadium, near to the coach park..? 

4 hours ago, Bald Bloke said:

without going into all the details,which would take pages,the greyhound industry, particularly the betting side, is in some turmoil,some tracks are going to make many many millions and others nothing, looking like swindon and poole are both in the second group,there are other issues as well.Stadia uk make very good money out of the speedway but it is only 20 evenings per yr,not enough to make the stadium viable.

27 minutes ago, poole keith said:

without going into all the details,which would take pages,the greyhound industry, particularly the betting side, is in some turmoil,some tracks are going to make many many millions and others nothing, looking like swindon and poole are both in the second group,there are other issues as well.Stadia uk make very good money out of the speedway but it is only 20 evenings per yr,not enough to make the stadium viable.

Millions - greyhound racing, really?

I have owned greyhounds and watched a lot of greyhound racing across the UK. Towcester, the home of the Derby has fallen by the wayside this year. That’s a grade 1 facility and track.

Millions is not a phrase used within the greyhound fraternity.

• Like 1

its been well reported that some tracks have been offered 20 /25 million contracts to provide racing for the next 4/5yrs,its all global now, tracks in uk now racing at 8am in the morning to provide pictures for foreign lands,big players have recently bought into betting markets in africa and scandinavia,serious money blueboy.(bye the way towcester was widely regarded as a bad running track,no camber and too wide,aimed at 8 dog races which didnt take off,also the horse grandstand was to far away from the track,certainly wasnt like the white city!!)

2 hours ago, poole keith said:

Millions :blink:  Not good for the sale of Poole then.

23 hours ago, ruckerroo said:

2 category one greyhound competitions have been cancelled at swindon this yr, the arc and now the oaks. Very nasty smell eminating from blunsdon of late

Not the infamous back straight bogs for once.

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, theblueboy said:

Millions - greyhound racing, really?

I have owned greyhounds and watched a lot of greyhound racing across the UK. Towcester, the home of the Derby has fallen by the wayside this year. That’s a grade 1 facility and track.

Millions is not a phrase used within the greyhound fraternity.

I would guess Peterborough Greyhounds is an absolute gold mine. Well in the millions. They created a perfect business model. Several years ago they moved away from the usual bookmaker / punter flapping track. Built an an amazing glass fronted stadium, with restaurant, bars, excellent viewing in the warm. It is packed out 3 nights a week. Need to get there early if you want a seat - it’s a big stadium. They very often advertise 1p entrance :o, that includes a beer, a £1 bet, program and scampi / chicken and chips. Then take all your money on the Tote, because you like the dogs name or it’s just had a dump. 

• Haha 1

Unless youve a SIS contract you are dead in the water as a dog track. If as mooted the dogs shuts at end of yr i really dont fancy the speedway surviving one bit

• Like 1

4 hours ago, poole keith said:

its been well reported that some tracks have been offered 20 /25 million contracts to provide racing for the next 4/5yrs,its all global now, tracks in uk now racing at 8am in the morning to provide pictures for foreign lands,big players have recently bought into betting markets in africa and scandinavia,serious money blueboy.(bye the way towcester was widely regarded as a bad running track,no camber and too wide,aimed at 8 dog races which didnt take off,also the horse grandstand was to far away from the track,certainly wasnt like the white city!!)

I have found a link to a Parliamentary paper, which shows in 2014 £26 million pounds was paid to ALL tracks, unfortunately, due to being on my phone, my own incompetence or possibly both, I cannot provide it to you.

That sounds much more plausible. By definition the top tracks e.g. Sheffield, Hove, Belle Vue and Nottingham’s would take a bigger percentage compared to Swindon. However, it’s rumoured £10k per BAGS @ Swindon, which x 3 meetings per week isn’t too shabby.

2 hours ago, ruckerroo said:

Unless youve a SIS contract you are dead in the water as a dog track. If as mooted the dogs shuts at end of yr i really dont fancy the speedway surviving one bit

Both tracks are being shortened, which means that some sacrifices have to be made. Swindon currently has a BAGS contract. As the speedway track has to be put in place for the start of the season I guess the dogs have to take the hit over the winter months to allow the adjustments.

The Commercial Manager for the Robins has confirmed on the Swindon Facebook page circa 2 weeks ago that the speedway track has already been pegged out.

• Like 1

blueboy you are confused,the figures you quote for 2014 is the statutory funding based on, i believe 0.6% of bookmaker turnover known as the bgrf,the  big money that tracks are receiving now is from sis(ladbrokes corals with their offshore partners) for worldwide media rights not the government.Poole and swindon greyhounds have aligned themselves with the rival media group gmg(arc group) who many industry experts believe will lose out completely(though when sis become the sole media provider they will recruit a few ex gmg tracks) Small provincial tracks like henlow and harlow are now racing 5or6 times a wk paying trainers very well, thanks to their sis money,at the early morning meetings trainers are getting £100 for every runner they supply plus other contract bonuses.also bluey, bags as a company no longer exists it was dissolved by mutual agreement of the shareholders(mostly various betting operators) as they have now split into rival factions, the promoters then decided to keep the word"bags" as a brand name only as it was associated by customers with greyhound racing.......apologies to speedway fans for all that, its pouring with rain and ive nothing to do this morning sorry!!!