British Speedway Forum

55 minutes ago, Steve Shovlar said:

It would have virtually no effect whatsoever. 3500 workforce. If 1 in 100 went it would only be 30 odd fans at most. And these workers would not be made redundant as they have plenty of time to find new employment. Surely none would be there the day the place closed up. 220,000 people live in Swindon. 

Also it is not all Swindonians that are losing their jobs, many people travel to Swindon from as afar afield as South Wales & Gloucester to work at Honda. How they cope with coming from South Wales on a daily basis I do not know.

Went right by the main gates of Honda this afternoon coming back from an auction in Highworth. Saw camera crews waiting to catch anyone. Wasting their time if the workers were all sent home.

14 hours ago, Steve Shovlar said:

Went right by the main gates of Honda this afternoon coming back from an auction in Highworth. Saw camera crews waiting to catch anyone. Wasting their time if the workers were all sent home.

I work for the sister company & the past 48hrs have not been great. Basically each company will have to remain at a staffing level to be able to produced 130K cars 19/20 & approx 120K cars 20/21. You then have to factor in what happens after the last car goes down the line, all the machinery etc will need to be moved out.

5 hours ago, hyabb17 said:

I work for the sister company & the past 48hrs have not been great. Basically each company will have to remain at a staffing level to be able to produced 130K cars 19/20 & approx 120K cars 20/21. You then have to factor in what happens after the last car goes down the line, all the machinery etc will need to be moved out.

But presumably there has to be contingency plans to cover retirements, and sadly deaths of current workers, as well as people moving on for new employment. Might pay to ask retiring workers to stay on, and save the changeover and retraining costs if new people are being taken on short term.

cant see honda training up new staff,dilemma for existing  workers they have to have one eye on the job market but if to many of them leave, honda will probably close the plant early

2 hours ago, Tsunami said:

But presumably there has to be contingency plans to cover retirements, and sadly deaths of current workers, as well as people moving on for new employment. Might pay to ask retiring workers to stay on, and save the changeover and retraining costs if new people are being taken on short term.

if they leave before the closure that could affect their redundancy payment, hopefully Honda will do the decent thing and honour any redundancy payments for any worker who successfully finds alternative employment. Either way I wish all involved the very best of luck in finding a new job. 

• Like 2

I am seeking help from Swindon fans as to the best way to get to the stadium from Bristol.

Myself and our party of seven from Australia and New Zealand will be based in Bristol for a few days before we join the Travel Plus Group for the British Grand Prix at Cardiff. We are thinking about try to get to the Abbey Stadium for the match against Poole. 2 days prior to Cardiff. It looks like we can get a Train from Bristol (Temple Meads) to Swindon Station, but from there we need some guidance as to whether there are buses to and from the station to the track and return on Race Nights. Any assistance given would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance

Glenn Russell

Sydney

N.S.W.

Australia

Glenn, Best if you byepass and swerve the Abbey Stadium dump and get the train up to Owlerton Track, Sheffield or an even better track at the NSS, Manchester...worth the effort mate as they are two of the best speedway tracks in the world....IMO. :)

• Like 1

9 hours ago, gbrussell said:

I am seeking help from Swindon fans as to the best way to get to the stadium from Bristol.

Myself and our party of seven from Australia and New Zealand will be based in Bristol for a few days before we join the Travel Plus Group for the British Grand Prix at Cardiff. We are thinking about try to get to the Abbey Stadium for the match against Poole. 2 days prior to Cardiff. It looks like we can get a Train from Bristol (Temple Meads) to Swindon Station, but from there we need some guidance as to whether there are buses to and from the station to the track and return on Race Nights. Any assistance given would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance

Glenn Russell

Sydney

N.S.W.

Australia

Hi Glenn, No buses to and from stadium direct, for 7 people worth hiring 2 taxis or one minibus. About  8-12 pounds one way from station. Don't get into Hackney cab waiting on rank, too expensive. Cross Street, office by the station, are the cheapest 01793 232323. Book in advance for minibus. Better to eat outside of stadium, good pubs, hotels, eateries, takeaways nearby. Have bruv in Adelaide, has been over for GP, in 2008.

Support Swindon though!

Enjoy your trip

Edited by auntie doris
  • Haha 1

11 hours ago, Speedtiger said:

Glenn, Best if you byepass and swerve the Abbey Stadium dump and get the train up to Owlerton Track, Sheffield or an even better track at the NSS, Manchester...worth the effort mate as they are two of the best speedway tracks in the world....IMO. :)

Charmer 

• Haha 1

14 hours ago, gbrussell said:

Thanks in advance

Glenn Russell

Sydney

N.S.W.

Australia

Hi Glenn,

Why not have a word with David or James at TP and see if they can arrange something for you........I'm sure they'd be happy to help!

16 hours ago, gbrussell said:

Thanks in advance

Glenn Russell

Sydney

N.S.W.

Australia

Bloody hell that's a name from the past.  Remember you from the old yahoogroups email group Glenn.  Glad you're still around.

As other have said, the chaps at Travel Plus will be able to sort something for you and your group i'm sure.  James is on here somewhere but cant remember his forum username.

Sincere thanks to all the forum members who responded to my request. Some good ideas there which I will follow through on as we get closer to the event. While Poole has been my team for many years, now that "noddy" isn't there it doesn't hold the attraction it once did. These days I just support most of our Aussie riders, so with Doyley at Swindon now, will get right behind him. I have worked behind the scenes as an official and centre green presenter (as you British call it) at Gosford when it was around. Not a big fan of Batch or Rory.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, The Doctor... said:

Bloody hell that's a name from the past.  Remember you from the old yahoogroups email group Glenn.  Glad you're still around.

As other have said, the chaps at Travel Plus will be able to sort something for you and your group i'm sure.  James is on here somewhere but cant remember his forum username.

Yeah, I remember Glenn from there too!

James' username is "spiegal", I believe...

Steve

• Like 1