British Speedway Forum

1 hour ago, A ORLOV said:

Swindon did when Peterborough were in the top league years ago, we had purple kits when riding away, the colour of our main sponsor. 

Speedway attendances were also a bit healthier then .

2 hours ago, BluPanther said:

Time for teams to have an away kit  :D

Peterborough had away kit once - it was predominantly black & the home kit red. 2002?

• Thanks 1

Hi

I have tried to find out (a) Has the new Swindon  Stadium started/finished? :unsure:  (b) the new season first meeting is Swindon v Belle Vue on Thursday April 11th is shown in the Fixture, Will that meeting happen? It is only 5 weeks away. 

Does anyone know answers, please?

Thanks

Roger (rogero)

a,   As of today nothing has happened

b, no idea

27 minutes ago, A ORLOV said:

b, no idea

Thanks   .. worrying! 

11 hours ago, A ORLOV said:

b, no idea

To expand....

a. Very little to date of any substance

b. yes, be it on the existing or new track

Edited by Reliant Robin

Has work started now on the new track..   rumour had it skips and diggers were in place last week.. what about a statement and photos to suit. Surely les Aubrey. Ian lewis Dave Evan's or  Neil ockwell could obliges with some photos

1 hour ago, Mafiarule said:

Has work started now on the new track..   rumour had it skips and diggers were in place last week.. what about a statement and photos to suit. Surely les Aubrey. Ian lewis Dave Evan's or  Neil ockwell could obliges with some photos

Hopefully its sorted before the early meetings. Development league meeting due there on the 22nd April. Its one thing professionals turning up, refusing to ride and going home with all their travel expenses covered but its mightily unfair if that is inflicted on total self funded amateurs.

On 3/5/2019 at 2:01 PM, New era Panthers said:

Speedway attendances were also a bit healthier then .

Attendances haven't changed much at the Shabbey since 2012. I noticed the year before that in 2011 crowds were down. Probably a combination of finishing stone bottom and Leigh Adams retiring.

8 hours ago, auntie doris said:

Attendances haven't changed much at the Shabbey since 2012. I noticed the year before that in 2011 crowds were down. Probably a combination of finishing stone bottom and Leigh Adams retiring.

Leigh Adams retiring was a major issue. His replacement (Scott Nicholls) was a disaster too. He needed to pull up some trees to win over the Blunsdon crowd in the first place, especially being a former Coventry Bee and fierce rival of Adams himself. But he didn’t really do himself justice on a track that he admitted has never been his favourite. 

Goodness me that was an awful season. I noticed the gaps in the crowd that season for the first time since 2016. 

• Like 1

21 hours ago, auntie doris said:

Last year apart from Poole do you recon the average gate was between 11/1300?In Leigh's later years i recon the average gate was between 13/1600 since his retirement i recon we have lost between 2/300 fans.

Edited by Sidney the robin

9 hours ago, Sidney the robin said:

Last year apart from Poole do you recon the average gate was between 11/1300?In Leigh's later years i recon the average gate was between 13/1600 since his retirement i recon we have lost between 2/300 fans.

Can't be far off Sid. There were a few big crowds when we were champions 2017..2500-3000 plus. They said 3200 for the Lynn match, and that doesn't include a few hundred guests, sponsors, volunteers, freeloaders, ne'er do wells ! etc., It seemed 2004-10 there were much bigger crowds when Leigh was riding. Certainly for the 2007 and 2009 Grand Finals, the club gave figures of 5000 plus, but the 2012 and 2017 finals were about half that.. Can remember Gary Patchett saying they had 2700 for the 2012 Final win against Poole, which he said was the same as the league match that year!

Wolves brought very few fans in 2017 compared to hundreds in 2009.

When Darcy rode for a while the crowds picked up.I remember the big crowds for the Bob Kilby Memorial meetings, World Team Cup, and Leigh Adams Farewell meeting. The cost of admission seemed to increase every year, but the standard decreased with fans staying away.

If the new stadium and track was in place there would be far more there this season.

With the cost of admission as well now can't really see crowds increasing, especially looking at the top div team strengths now compared to pre 2010.

Edited by auntie doris
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, auntie doris said:

If the new stadium and track was in place there would be far more there this season.

Of course, there will be a new stadium with a new shorter track ready to offer better racing - won't there? Rosco would not in his new guise of Mr Rock Steady let anyone down I am sure.