British Speedway Forum

Diggers digging out the shale on bends 1&2 today, picture on Swindon Stadium in the News and Discussion section and on twitter.

Edited by A ORLOV
  • Like 5

Not sure the work on the track changes the new stadium position one iota.

Internal work within the existing stadium doesn't prove Gaming International's commitment to build anything.

• Like 1

On 3/14/2019 at 10:10 AM, Sidney the robin said:

Last year apart from Poole do you recon the average gate was between 11/1300?In Leigh's later years i recon the average gate was between 13/1600 since his retirement i recon we have lost between 2/300 fans.

I think speedway in general has been hit by a perfect storm of issues since 2007.

Austerity, top riders either retiring or disappearing and older supporters dying off.

Add in the general decline of most of the stadiums that puts off new supporters.

Yes great news on the Swindon website confirming the track work.:t:

just shortening the track so more houses can be built on bends 1/2 and car park !! where is the pre-built new grandstand ? shortening track = shortening life at the abbey sadly !!

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, geoff58 said:

just shortening the track so more houses can be built on bends 1/2 and car park !! where is the pre-built new grandstand ? shortening track = shortening life at the abbey sadly !!

Several years ago they were advertising season tickets with "you'll be able to watch the second half of the season from the new stand."

9 minutes ago, foamfence said:

Several years ago they were advertising season tickets with "you'll be able to watch the second half of the season from the new stand."

I don't recall season tickets ever being advertised on the back of a new stadium being in place. Lots of fictional facts being thrown about at the moment, so perhaps I missed this originally

• Like 2

34 minutes ago, Reliant Robin said:

I don't recall season tickets ever being advertised on the back of a new stadium being in place. Lots of fictional facts being thrown about at the moment, so perhaps I missed this originally

You obviously did.

24 minutes ago, foamfence said:

You obviously did.

I'm not so sure I did.

I recall lots of quotes and talk on the build up to the 'Farewell Meeting' at which point season tickets for the following season were not on sale. I then recall not long after that Farewell Meeting, still prior to any season tickets being on sale, it becoming public that it wouldn't happen for the 2016 Season.

So at what point since are they mean to have said, and I quote, "you'll be able to watch the second half of the season from the new stand."? On the build up to a different season?

Edited by Reliant Robin

58 minutes ago, Reliant Robin said:

ask rosco & russell where in wales is the pre-built new grandstand ? they said its in storage just waiting for old one to knocked down ? and who is paying the storage costs ?? leave it at that !!

3 minutes ago, geoff58 said:

ask rosco & russell where in wales is the pre-built new grandstand ? they said its in storage just waiting for old one to knocked down ? and who is paying the storage costs ?? leave it at that !!

Do you mean here

https://www.swindonadvertiser.co.uk/news/15898083.work-on-new-stadium-could-be-underway-by-may/

or here

http://www.swindon-speedway.com/news.php?extend.2871

Think most of what you quote has again come from the Stadium owners rather than Rosco & Russell. They have passed on info as told in the past which has proved incorrect and have since not made mention of the stadium, just the track alterations.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Reliant Robin said:

Do you mean here

https://www.swindonadvertiser.co.uk/news/15898083.work-on-new-stadium-could-be-underway-by-may/

or here

http://www.swindon-speedway.com/news.php?extend.2871

Think most of what you quote has again come from the Stadium owners rather than Rosco & Russell. They have passed on info as told in the past which has proved incorrect and have since not made mention of the stadium, just the track alterations.

that's what was promised ? but in reality just shortening track to accomodate more new build sadly !!

46 minutes ago, geoff58 said:

that's what was promised ? but in reality just shortening track to accomodate more new build sadly !!

The builders have NOT got planning permission for the houses on the east of the stadium, so ignore all the rubbish being posted. 

Edited by A ORLOV
  • Like 3

3 hours ago, A ORLOV said:

The builders have NOT got planning permission for the houses on the east of the stadium, so ignore all the rubbish being posted. 

well the track is being shortened for that purpose !! because the original plan was for track to be turned 180 degrees to have bends 1/2 on back straight along with pits & greyhound kennels !! seems all they are doing is shortening track obviously a lot more to do cash wise !! houses will be built on existing car park wait & see !! sadly this is all going to end in tears i fear !!