British Speedway Forum

It was the Belle Vue meeting this week that was cancelled so I would expect their fans to have more interest than others in what has happened.  In truth I don't see many fans from anywhere expressing a view about this and I don't really see any of the comments saying anything that many Swindon fans haven't already said about the construction of the new stadium and track.

However, there is no criticism from me. I am just pleased that that the track work is being done and that Swindon will be running for at least one more season and hopefully, for much longer.

Edited by Aces51
  • Like 2

2 hours ago, OveFundinFan said:

to be fair, Swindon have had all winter to re-jig two corners, whilst Manchester CIty Council and their sub-contractors had a winter to build a complete stadium, lay a whole rack, bend 3/4 the last parts as machinery moved out of the stadium. Add to that, the rest of the track was race-able on that first night, just bend3/4 that the MCC sub-contractors messed up.

Morton and Gordon messed up ..they try to run a meeting on a track that was clearly not fit for purpose ,. Thou MCC were at fault for the building of the track but it was Belle Vue who should had  ran test meetings etc etc to make sure it was ok before letting a massive crowd in . 

As I said on another topic ,Swindon have done the right thing by not running the meeting but you  really do have to question why this work was started so late .

1 minute ago, orion said:

Morton and Gordon messed up ..they try to run a meeting on a track that was clearly not fit for purpose ,. Thou MCC were at fault for the building of the track but it was Belle Vue who should had  ran test meetings etc etc to make sure it was ok before letting a massive crowd in . 

As I said on another topic ,Swindon have done the right thing by not running the meeting but you  really do have to question why this work was started so late .

I would say that you are still trotting out your rubbish about the NSS but that would only result in you replying and my having to repeat at length the true facts. You obviously didn't believe them the first time so there is no point.

I agree with your second paragraph.

Really don’t see what the big deal is. Swindon did the right thing. It’s a week at the start of a very long season. 

For once speedway is better than football look at Tottenham taking months to sort it out. 

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, Aces51 said:

I would say that you are still trotting out your rubbish about the NSS but that would only result in you replying and my having to repeat at length the true facts. You obviously didn't believe them the first time so there is no point.

I agree with your second paragraph.

You are the  one who speaks rubbish ..It's common sense that Belle Vue Speedway  are the  ones who must make sure  track is fit for  purpose before they open (as Swindon will do next week ) no matter who built it in the first place .You don't have to have any facts just common sense , ,You don't and can't reply because there is no  answer to that .

If Swindon run the meeting next week and the track is not ready I will the blame the club not people who built it as the buck stops with them as it would  do in any other business who have not  fully checked and ran  tests before opening .

Edited by orion

Really can’t see the issue here.

Getting the track right and ready is the total priority. 

It’s no good saying they have had all winter to do this because nobody knows the circumstances that has lead to the work starting later.

As expected there might be a delay to one or some of the fixtures due to this, but no surprise that some of those moaning are Aces fans. 

• Like 1

Looking forward to the opening of the brand new Swindon stadium next week. 

Should be a huge crowd. Poole will bring plenty of fans to the grand opening.  

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, orion said:

You are the  one who speaks rubbish ..It's common sense that Belle Vue Speedway  are the  ones who must make sure  track is fit for  purpose before they open (as Swindon will do next week ) no matter who built it in the first place .You don't have to have any facts just common sense , ,You don't and can't reply because there is no  answer to that .

If Swindon run the meeting next week and the track is not ready I will the blame the club not people who built it as the buck stops with them as it would  do in any other business who have not  fully checked and ran  tests before opening .

the BSPA passed the track to race on opening night b/vue had to have a racing licence other wise no one would be allowed in and the meeting couldn't have been put on !! the problems happened with the track 2 hours before when the tempreture dropped and defaults in the 3/4 bends of which it as been well documented and explained even by phillip rising in the speedway star !! so again before blaming b/vue ask yourself why were b/vue given the all clear by BSPA that the track was fit for racing ???? give your head a wobble !!! swindon will also have to get the all clear as well by BSPA !!!

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

first meeting 0n there new track against local rivals poole perfect meeting to start there season 

2 minutes ago, geoff58 said:

the BSPA passed the track to race on opening night b/vue had to have a racing licence other wise no one would be allowed in and the meeting couldn't have been put on !! the problems happened with the track 2 hours before when the tempreture dropped and defaults in the 3/4 bends of which it as been well documented and explained even by phillip rising in the speedway star !! so again before blaming b/vue ask yourself why were b/vue given the all clear by BSPA that the track was fit for racing ???? give your head a wobble !!! swindon will also have to get the all clear as well by BSPA !!!

Nothing to do with the BSPA. Messrs Gordon and Morton knew there was a problem with  bends 3/4. SCB manager Graham Reeve i understand had to rush to Manchester on the night before the meeting because of the seriousness of the problem.

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

Whilst taking neither side in the Belle Vue debate as that has been done to death previously i think everyone knows the SCB inspections are tick box exercises only. How many times have people seen a ref walk onto the edge of one corner then back to the box for a track inspection or poke at one air fence panel and deem it secured only to see them lift later in the meeting and riders disappear underneath them.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, geoff58 said:

? the German Gp the other year was no doubt given a racing licence do think that track was ok ..? Not enough testing  was ever  done to know  that it was going to be  ok .the two riders who were asked to test the track  the track told Belle Vue that the track had major problems and they  never rode the track at night . Graham Reeve was also called up the night before as there were  problems with the 3 and 4th bends ..so it's just a load of garbage to say that this problem just happen 2 hours before the  meeting  started .

Have  a look  back 48 hours before the meeting and your see that the cat was out of the bag that the track had massive problems it was over this forum . Morton and Gordon took a risk to run the meeting due to the ticket sales without making  sure the track was ok so the buck stops with them . Of course  Phil Rising who happens to be great Friends with Chris Morton tends to miss out a lot of the facts what happened at the time .

As I said if Swindon track is not fit for racing next week I won't be blaming the BSPA I won't be blaming the people who done the work I will be blaming Swindon Speedway as it's there job to make sure the track is tested before you let fans into the stadium something that Belle Vue never did .

Edited by orion
  • Like 1

Maybe Swindon could get a couple of riders to test the track before the first meeting and when they give it the thumbs up you know you’re good to go. 

Hopefully. 

The safe fact is that with Batch, Doyle, Holder and the remainder of the Aussie crew making up a third of the riders due to compete on the 18th if the track is even slightly iffy there will be a lot of fuss being made. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, racers and royals said:

Nothing to do with the BSPA. Messrs Gordon and Morton knew there was a problem with  bends 3/4. SCB manager Graham Reeve i understand had to rush to Manchester on the night before the meeting because of the seriousness of the problem.

After successful testing Gordon and Morton believed that  the problem had been solved. As explained, it was the drop in temperature on the Saturday that caused the moisture to rise and caused the problem to reappear. If the temperature hadn't dropped the meeting would have gone ahead and the problem would not have reappeared until the next time the weather changed in that specific way. The undisputable fact is that the SCB passed the track fit for racing and the referee was happy for the meeting to go ahead on the night.  If Reeve rushed to Manchester because of the rumours he had heard I very much doubt that his inspection would have been anything other than extremely thorough. It would be illogical for him to do anything less having made a special journey to investigate the matter. The truth is that the problem caused by the contractors, which had supposedly been repaired, was hidden until the weather changed.

I have said more than I intended because of the comments made by others but this issue has been discussed at great length a number of times. There is nothing new to add to the arguments and those who choose to believe that Gordon and Morton were at fault are not going to be convinced and vice versa for those on the other side. It is pointless to continue  unless there is something new to add.

To get back on topic, Swindon are doing the right thing in cancelling the meeting if they believe that the track they are themselves constructing is not going to be ready for tomorrow. 

• Like 1