British Speedway Forum

11 hours ago, orion said:

First of all its a good track but it's hardly the best ever ..it's good racing but  hardly any skill is needed so you need to steady down ,I would hardly say taking in gate money and not paying bills  well intended in fact  a lot people would  say it's almost stealing .

Not sure what makes your opinion more valid than the next person and trust me I know plenty about  what went on to quailed to hold such  an opinion ..the bottom line is no matter how you dress it up they  have kick out of the sport because they never paid there bills because there business plan was hopeless .and doomed to fail .

oh dear yet another pathetic post :rofl:

2 hours ago, waytogo28 said:

I can't see any professional speedway running in the UK in 20 years time. Possibly semi-pro but more likely another defunct  UK sport. With a fanbase now so low there is nowhere it can go other than down.

Surely if a fanbase is so low - the only way it can go is up?!  or so Yazz says.......

Edited by Skidder1
  • Like 4

13 hours ago, orion said:

First of all its a good track but it's hardly the best ever ..it's good racing but  hardly any skill is needed so you need to steady down ,I would hardly say taking in gate money and not paying bills  well intended in fact  a lot people would  say it's almost stealing .

Not sure what makes your opinion more valid than the next person and trust me I know plenty about  what went on to quailed to hold such  an opinion ..the bottom line is no matter how you dress it up they  have kick out of the sport because they never paid there bills because there business plan was hopeless .and doomed to fail .

Wow! You dumber than I gave you credit for.

5 hours ago, waytogo28 said:

I can't see any professional speedway running in the UK in 20 years time. Possibly semi-pro but more likely another defunct  UK sport. With a fanbase now so low there is nowhere it can go other than down.

Different forms of motor sport exist in the UK when most people never look beyond F1.

It ultimately depends on the quality of the arenas in use in today’s world first and foremost not who is on the track.

Maybe that’s why Poland are where they are now.

7 hours ago, ouch said:

He’ll be off to Rome again with talk like that. :D

No, a bit further north this time. Off to Italian Alps in mid May, then French Alps for a couple of weeks in June. Lovely.

7 hours ago, waytogo28 said:

Been hearing that for a long time now. Its far from great but its in better shape now then 20 years ago. It is absolutely crying out for a Barry Hearne type figure tho

3 hours ago, RPNY said:

Been hearing that for a long time now. Its far from great but its in better shape now then 20 years ago. It is absolutely crying out for a Barry Hearne type figure tho

Ermmm .You sure

4 hours ago, RPNY said:

Better shape, think you are confused ,don’t think you would get many agreeing with that theory.IMO

It is crying out for Independant body to run the sport though,not many takers on that front .Imo

• Like 2

12 hours ago, RPNY said:

20 years ago there were many more clubs, league fixtures and at least 50% more regular paying supporters on the UK terraces, so I am not quite sure what the better shape is. Thinner? It isn't better quality racing, not from where I have been standing anyway.

As for a Barry Hearne type figure, I can't think anyone would appear as there is no way to make promoting UK speedway profitable again. Is it Buster Chapman, when he increases his ownership to 8 - 10 clubs? Do you know, although I do not like his operating methods, he could be the saviour by cutting down costs and increasing the likelihood of semi-pro racing here if he did increase his holdings? 

No-one else is likely to do anything like that unless some 70 year old diehard fan wins £100 million on the Euro lottery and wants to blow it on wine, women ( or men ), song and speedway. Instead of doing something useful with it!

• Like 2
  • Sad 1

23 hours ago, Steve Shovlar said:

This women’s football is poor imo. Many won’t agree but the standard is not good. About 3 or 4 divisions below league 2 at best. Can’t understand the appeal. Now, if they played in high heel and skimpy bikinis............:D

They tried that in Beach Volleyball, and without the high heels it works! 

13 hours ago, Fromafar said:

Better shape, think you are confused ,don’t think you would get many agreeing with that theory.IMO

It is crying out for Independant body to run the sport though,not many takers on that front .Imo

Maybe I'm wrong but my memories of mid/late nineties are, all the top foreign riders left the British league (we had a few British 'stars' in the GP's so made the league look a little stronger than today) tracks closing, crowd sizes similar to today, no TV coverage, no national stadium, very antiquated presentation.
Im not saying things are great today by any means but I believe the opportunity is there to get better not just assume its 100% doomed to fail.
Maybe Im just being a stupid optimist tho... 

53 minutes ago, RPNY said:

Maybe I'm wrong but my memories of mid/late nineties are, all the top foreign riders left the British league (we had a few British 'stars' in the GP's so made the league look a little stronger than today) tracks closing, crowd sizes similar to today, no TV coverage, no national stadium, very antiquated presentation.
Im not saying things are great today by any means but I believe the opportunity is there to get better not just assume its 100% doomed to fail.
Maybe Im just being a stupid optimist tho... 

i think your timeline is a little skewed it was well into the 2000’s before the top boys all upped and left.

To illustrate here’s a list of a few riders that rode in the elite league in 2005:

tony rickardsson, Chris Louis, hans Andersen, Leigh adams, Ryan Sullivan, Antonio Lindback, Pepe Protasiewicz, Billy Hamill, Greg Hancock, Jason crump, Nicki Pedersen, lee Richardson, Scott Nicholls, Sebastian ulamek, Greg Walasek, Freddie Lindgren, Peter Karlsson, Michael max, ales & Lukas Dryml, Mark Loram, Andreas Jonsson, Kenneth Bjerre, Joe screen, David norris, Chris Harris, Kris kascperzak, many others that arguably worth a mention, Troy Batchelor, Matej Ferjan, Jason Lyons, Mads Korneliussen, Martin Smolinski

my memories of the late 90’s as a witches fan is the team of 98 - gollob, rickardsson, Louis, Svab, nicholls & clouting! :)

• Like 3

I hear you but those riders were either A. English B. Still there because they had been in the league since the days of it being the #1 league in the world C. Not regularly in the league but rather a season or 2 then leave, then come back... Even PK and Max left for a few years.

My original statement was not meant to be the league is much better than it was 20 years ago, more that we have been saying the same thing (Speedway in the UK is dying) since the late 80s. Yes crowds are poor but it's on TV now which it never was when I was growing up, we have a national stadium with maybe the best track in the world, we have a showcase event every year that attracts over 40k people... The potential is there to make it a popular spectator sport again.

But again Im aware things arent great!

More importantly for this thread,I hope the new Swindon track is a good un and they have a great season. 

It was 2008 when speedway began its current decline. Before that is was having something of a minor revival, with radio 5 even running a report on how Speedway had become "cool" at one point.

Then, with crowds relatively healthy, the introduced low points limits and "cost cutting" measures time after time, and each time they did it the crowds dropped. So, each time the crowds dropped, they did it again. So they dropped again.

It always amazes me when people say that the future is about cost cutting. That is what caused the trouble in the first place.

• Like 6

18 minutes ago, Grachan said:

It was 2008 when speedway began its current decline. Before that is was having something of a minor revival, with radio 5 even running a report on how Speedway had become "cool" at one point.

Then, with crowds relatively healthy, the introduced low points limits and "cost cutting" measures time after time, and each time they did it the crowds dropped. So, each time the crowds dropped, they did it again. So they dropped again.

It always amazes me when people say that the future is about cost cutting. That is what caused the trouble in the first place.

And at some point there will be no more costs to cut...

• Like 1