British Speedway Forum

3 minutes ago, acef said:

Shame. He hasn’t developed quickly enough I don’t think. I don’t wish to be contrary, it’s just my opinion, but I have always felt that he’s had all the gear, but not necessarily the right idea. He came on the scene with some good sponsorship, sparkling van and equipment etc, maybe all a bit to much to soon and forgot about the most important bit, riding the bike.

He clearly has a lot of natural talent, with the right mentor he will be a solid rider in time. Of course that depends on whether this is a permanent or temporary break.

Hopefully he can get his head together and come back stronger it would be a shame to lose another young Brit.

I don’t think that’s Contrary at all!

On the grass Zach is immense, but speedway is a different art and style of riding, and it is hard to change between the two, hence IMO why his speedway development has been slow and almost stagnant?

I’m sure he will continue to excel on grass and hopefully come back to the shale when he has learnt to adapt his riding style accordingly?

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, 65Sarge said:

On the grass Zach is immense, but speedway is a different art and style of riding, and it is hard to change between the two, hence IMO why his speedway development has been slow and almost stagnant?

I’m sure he will continue to excel on grass and hopefully come back to the shale when he has learnt to adapt his riding style accordingly?

I hope so. He seems like a good lad.

Whilst there are differences ultimately he is a motorcyclist in this type of environment so should find a way, in time, of adapting better.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, 65Sarge said:

Yes, Zach is immense on grass. So too is James Shanes

Pity they can't transfer this to shale

Shame about Zach, think he really has potential but he heeds the right environment. Not many of those around for youngsters I’m afraid. 

25 minutes ago, ouch said:

Shame about Zach, think he really has potential but he heeds the right environment. Not many of those around for youngsters I’m afraid. 

Stick at it Zach there is a good rider in there hope he comes back even stronger.

• Like 3

7 hours ago, Crazy robin said:

The big question is whether this was done before or after the new averages took affect.

Don't make a great deal of difference really.A re-declaration before would have given you 4.5 to play with after 4.32.

• Like 1

15 hours ago, tellboy said:

Don't make a great deal of difference really.A re-declaration before would have given you 4.5 to play with after 4.32.

Ideal for Kasper Anderson then?!

Good luck to Zach, hope to see you back.

The PL seems to have scant regard for riders it uses to ‘fill up their teams’ when averages dictate team strengths.

Never sure what the league expects from these young reserves, they seem to take the brunt of criticism when it’s more experienced season riders not performing as they should who are the problem.

I’m of the opinion that there should be some kind of ‘experience’ requirement in place to avoid young riders being put under pressure to score way before they have been consistently competitive in the league below.

• Like 4

1 hour ago, GWC said:

The PL seems to have scant regard for riders it uses to ‘fill up their teams’ when averages dictate team strengths.

Never sure what the league expects from these young reserves, they seem to take the brunt of criticism when it’s more experienced season riders not performing as they should who are the problem.

I’m of the opinion that there should be some kind of ‘experience’ requirement in place to avoid young riders being put under pressure to score way before they have been consistently competitive in the league below.

Well said.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, GWC said:

Are we talking about all teams or Swindon?  Zach was making progress (not major progress) over the years he was at Swindon.  He has had a nightmare start to this season in both leagues and is taking time away - so not really down to Swindon having scant regard for Zach and last year Jack Smith was in the team until the end of the season.  It’s not just reserves though - look st the number of riders Poole had last year!

• Like 2

I think that both Zach and James Shanes, while both having progressed to a certain extent, have suffered by riding grasstrack / longtrack and speedway at a young age.  They are desciplines that are apart in riding technique. Years ago many very good speedway riders could be seen in Germany, every Sunday, winning and doing very well in longtrack / grasstrack meetings, but only after they had established themselves as very good speedway riders. Wiggy told me it took at least 3 years to master Longtrack. Yet at the same time very good grasstrack riders were riding in the second halfs at speedway and not turning out to be the next great speedway rider, with a few exceptions. Many have said it takes a couple of races to get back to riding a speedway track after competing at grasstrack / longtrack. If you're good on the grass/longtrack on the continent it's hard to let go of the money to improve your speedway.

How many true longtrack riders have won the World Speedway Championship?

How many true Speedway riders have won the World Longtrack Championship?

Just my thoughts.

• Like 2

Be interesting to see if Ellis is out  with his shoulder injury  if young Anders Rowe gets a chance.Maybe he won't every point is vital and King's Lynn are a dangerous team just hope it is not a James Sarjeant type of guest.