British Speedway Forum

9 hours ago, BWitcher said:

And a full stadium.

Well it should be shouldn't it? GP once in 12 months. I'm sure if Belle Vue only rode once a year on a Saturday the place would be packed out. 

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Gemini said:

Sorry you are confused hagonshocker. :lol: My point being that according to some we need the star riders in the UK to get attendances to rise. Keep diluting the product and more will stay away. However, that was a GP so presumably full of the so called star riders yet it was boring. 

No the product will only start to improve with better racing or at least the chance of better racing.....Belle Vue achieves that without 16 gp riders ...Prague top field dire track dire racing.....I'm sorry but I'm not confused as I knew your intention but irrespective of who rode that particular round will generally be boring as opposed to most rounds but at least people get to swoon over old buildings and countless bridges ;)

Edited by hagonshocker
  • Like 1

29 minutes ago, Gemini said:

Well it should be shouldn't it? GP once in 12 months. I'm sure if Belle Vue only rode once a year on a Saturday the place would be packed out. 

Not if there no top riders ….put lesser riders out and no where would be packed even you did ride once a year 

6 hours ago, Gemini said:

So what was your point?

Tobi has said on Instagram he’ll be back sooner than first thought. Looks like he’s out of the cast & walking so perhaps the original diagnosis was incorrect.  

Rosco has said that we’ve something in the pipeline with a rider but won’t confirm until the deal is done. Guess a 28 day replacement for Musielak 

6 hours ago, BWitcher said:

So what was your point?

My point was having so called star riders doesn't necessarily mean good racing and that attendances will rise in the UK like some seem to think they will if they all come flocking back again. But I give in now as I know it's useless trying to get a point across with you so you win, you're right as usual. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

14 minutes ago, Gemini said:

My point was having so called star riders doesn't necessarily mean good racing and that attendances will rise in the UK like some seem to think they will if they all come flocking back again. But I give in now as I know it's useless trying to get a point across with you so you win, you're right as usual. 

They might rise a bit, but the cost is very high. Won't work. Things have moved on, and there is so much for the young ones to do these days. Sadly there is no quick fix, if there is one at all.

• Like 2

8 hours ago, Bald Bloke said:

They might rise a bit, but the cost is very high. Won't work. Things have moved on, and there is so much for the young ones to do these days. Sadly there is no quick fix, if there is one at all.

There is a quick ( but painful ) fix and the key element of it is to introduce standardised non-tunable bikes. This will put racing skills at the forefront of speedway racing once again. The rocketships must be put away in the shed if racing ( not 4 riders riding their bikes in a boring procession ) is going to attract a wider audience.

• Like 3

11 hours ago, Gemini said:

Racing is pretty irrelevant. Belle Vue proves that, as have the other tracks that are meant to have the best racing but still don't pack the crowds in.

As for top riders.. you're right.. all those who have been saying for the past 15 years that crowds would drop every time the standard on offer was lowered were wrong.. the crowds haven't fallen at all :)

Unfortunately, the sport has sunk to such low levels it can no longer afford the top riders and as others have said it's unlikely the effect would be enough at this stage to rescue things so you are partially correct at this stage.

As for your final sentence, you do realise how hypocritical that is? I'm not discussing with you because you don't have the same opinion is effectively what you are saying..

1 minute ago, BWitcher said:

As for your final sentence, you do realise how hypocritical that is? I'm not discussing with you because you don't have the same opinion is effectively what you are saying..

Okay I am being hypocritical if you say so but actually  I can't be bothered as I know you like long drawn out discussions and I've got a lot more things to worry about than Speedway so I won't be joining in. I posted my thoughts about star riders not necessarily making good racing but I'm not into arguing whether they do or not. I've seen enough meetings over the years to know there were some pretty poor boring matches which had teams full of top riders so I'm quite happy watching a lower standard now.  I don't personally miss seeing  any of them but others do. I can understand that ~ everyone is different. 

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Gemini said:

Okay I am being hypocritical if you say so but actually  I can't be bothered as I know you like long drawn out discussions and I've got a lot more things to worry about than Speedway so I won't be joining in. I posted my thoughts about star riders not necessarily making good racing but I'm not into arguing whether they do or not. I've seen enough meetings over the years to know there were some pretty poor boring matches which had teams full of top riders so I'm quite happy watching a lower standard now.  I don't personally miss seeing  any of them but others do. I can understand that ~ everyone is different. 

Who is arguing whether star riders make good racing or not?

I simply pointed out that great racing doesn't seem to produce great crowds, strange as that may be.

• Like 1