British Speedway Forum

Just been chatting to Barry Duke in m&s cafe at the Orbital. Ever present for the Robins in 1970. Doesn't go to the Abbey anymore even though he's got a free ticket. Great tales of riding with Briggo, Kilby, Broady, Keener, Hitch, Munday, Woolford..and against his idols Fundin and Mauger. Said Martin Ashby is ill..haven't seen him for a while at the Abbey.

Edited by auntie doris

Jason Doyle praising the track & work done by Dixie Dean & volunteers.... ''Credit where credits due! Swindon track staff done a great job yesterday in extreme heat to make that track not like a dust bowl. Dixie Dean & volunteers thank you. We have another good race track in England'' His words, not mine. 

• Like 4

On 7/22/2019 at 10:12 AM, John Scrutton said:

Its got to be one league on 2020   perhaps with a North & South with a play off at the end.   

No one has probably stopped to ask if the CL teams want the PL to join and the answer is no. There is nothing in it for us and we dont want the politics, bulls*it and crap tracks your league suffers from. We are doing just fine on our own thanks and have no interest in rescuing the big league, as if the shoe was on the other foot it wouldnt even be a consideration.

• Haha 1

On 7/25/2019 at 3:07 PM, auntie doris said:

Just been chatting to Barry Duke in m&s cafe at the Orbital. Ever present for the Robins in 1970. Doesn't go to the Abbey anymore even though he's got a free ticket. Great tales of riding with Briggo, Kilby, Broady, Keener, Hitch, Munday, Woolford..and against his idols Fundin and Mauger. Said Martin Ashby is ill..haven't seen him for a while at the Abbey.

I’ve seen him on a couple of occasions this season and recently, not sure which match, so not sure that statement is correct.

11 hours ago, MD said:

No one has probably stopped to ask if the CL teams want the PL to join and the answer is no. There is nothing in it for us and we dont want the politics, bulls*it and crap tracks your league suffers from. We are doing just fine on our own thanks and have no interest in rescuing the big league, as if the shoe was on the other foot it wouldnt even be a consideration.

That’s all well and good - so you wouldn’t mind if PL assets weren’t permitted to ride in the CL?  :rolleyes:

The sport is on its knees - in all leagues!

• Like 2

17 minutes ago, Steve0 said:

That’s all well and good - so you wouldn’t mind if PL assets weren’t permitted to ride in the CL?  :rolleyes:

The sport is on its knees - in all leagues!

If the PL tried that I reckon that plenty of riders with a preference for CL would be consulting lawyers. As those contracts look extremely difficult to justify in law then the likely outcome would be that overnight the PL would have:- 

No Assets

12 hours ago, MD said:

This is the elephant in the room which no "one big league" proponent seems to be addressing. Why would CL teams want a huge increase in costs for a minimal increase in revenues? It makes no sense.

1 hour ago, arnieg said:

If the PL tried that I reckon that plenty of riders with a preference for CL would be consulting lawyers. As those contracts look extremely difficult to justify in law then the likely outcome would be that overnight the PL would have:- 

No Assets

I don’t agree with the asset system myself.  The CL could always pay out the money to buy their “contracts” from the PL.  Also bear in mind that there aren’t enough riders available to have the same number of clubs in one combined league - so if the leagues were combined - who would survive? Then there wouldn’t need to be any legal challenge as all in the same league.

As I said, British speedway is on its knees and needs co-operation moving forward - not the “I’m alright Jack” attitude that usually emanates from Dorset way :rolleyes:

The sport in the UK is on its knees and I really don’t see any way back now , no matter how much effort is made . 

Crowds have dwindled more and more season on season . Glasgow are having success due to millions being spent , no other clubs have that sort of money .

Most clubs are getting between 3-600 fans a week . Obviously there are exceptions. 

I will be perfectly honest , despite living in Melbourne I wouldn’t shell out to go and watch whats on offer at most tracks on a weekly basis in the UK. 

It doesn’t help how riders swap clubs so often. Back 20 years ago most clubs had a number one that was associated with the club and would stay year on year ... now its just musical chairs . Most riders ride in both leagues , theres guests every week , riders missing. Its a shambles. And riders demanding good money from clubs surviving on Sunday league footy crowds. Most stadiums are old , worn and decaying.

I cannot see any way back for it , as bad as it sounds . I think the sport is near enough finished .

19 hours ago, MD said:

You must live in another world if you believe that the CL is all rosey and healthy. What happened  to last years champions?? All ‘fine’ there is it?

The amount of clubs running must be at an all time low in this modern era as clubs from ALL divisions are closing because of speedway not being profitable. There are litters of clubs no longer running from all tiers. This is a British Speedway problem not a one league issue.

I thought it was the top flight that had a snobbery to all other leagues but you have proven that is not the case.

ALL leagues and clubs need to work together to find a workable way forward and it needs to be radical and not just silly little tinkering here and there. What we don’t need is this snobbish attitude that we are fine thanks in the slightest because it’s this attitude that will see more clubs struggling to survive. Although I guess no clubs in the CL struggle because everything is fine. Cough cough Workington. :angry:

• Like 7

20 hours ago, MD said:

Really ..hardly  doing well ..who made you spokesman for the whole league by the way ?

21 hours ago, MD said:

This has got to be the worst take on the matter, ever.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, JCookie said:

This has got to be the worst take on the matter, ever.

Forgetting that his own club was an absolute mess until the millionaires came in and likely will be again if and when they get bored and sell up/close down as nobody wants to buy it for their asking price . 

13 hours ago, Steve0 said:

If its one league there wont be any doubling up.

5 hours ago, stevebrum said:

You must live in another world if you believe that the CL is all rosey and healthy. What happened  to last years champions?? All ‘fine’ there is it?

The amount of clubs running must be at an all time low in this modern era as clubs from ALL divisions are closing because of speedway not being profitable. There are litters of clubs no longer running from all tiers. This is a British Speedway problem not a one league issue.

I thought it was the top flight that had a snobbery to all other leagues but you have proven that is not the case.

ALL leagues and clubs need to work together to find a workable way forward and it needs to be radical and not just silly little tinkering here and there. What we don’t need is this snobbish attitude that we are fine thanks in the slightest because it’s this attitude that will see more clubs struggling to survive. Although I guess no clubs in the CL struggle because everything is fine. Cough cough Workington. :angry:

Again, what is in it for CL teams to become one league?

From this years CL teams, Birmingham and perhaps Sheffield may not continue into 2020. I never mentioned all being rosey but having PL teams imposed on them in one league isnt the answer IMO. Perhaps its viewed as the answer to the PL's major issues of riding in front of empty stadiums, poorly prepared or doctored tracks, seeing the same teams multiple times a season and having a belligerent senior official who owns 3 tracks and has a my way or no way attitude that clearly the sport doesnt need. The second tier has rarely been shown any sort of significance but now the top league is in bother we've all got to pull together, like 1995 again.