British Speedway Forum

2 hours ago, Pinny said:

Forgetting that his own club was an absolute mess until the millionaires came in and likely will be again if and when they get bored and sell up/close down as nobody wants to buy it for their asking price . 

Thats a fair point and if they do get bored we know its game over for the current standard of what we have. Having suffered the best part of struggle for 20 years, the current eutopia years are all the more enjoyable and perhaps change your judgement. However despite all that is written about us we arent superstars and the last 3 visitors have all scored over 40 points and the racing has been superb. From our league of 11 there are realistically 8 teams who could make the playoffs and the standard of competition is mostly good. No need to change it IMO.

7 hours ago, MD said:

a belligerent senior official who owns 3 tracks and has a my way or no way attitude that clearly the sport doesnt need.

So are the others in the BSPA afraid of Buster Chapman or they so zoned out in a couldn't care less approach or have they already given up? Bereft of ideas that the majority of fans can relate to, certainly.

14 hours ago, MD said:

Again, what is in it for CL teams to become one league?

From this years CL teams, Birmingham and perhaps Sheffield may not continue into 2020. I never mentioned all being rosey but having PL teams imposed on them in one league isnt the answer IMO. Perhaps its viewed as the answer to the PL's major issues of riding in front of empty stadiums, poorly prepared or doctored tracks, seeing the same teams multiple times a season and having a belligerent senior official who owns 3 tracks and has a my way or no way attitude that clearly the sport doesnt need. The second tier has rarely been shown any sort of significance but now the top league is in bother we've all got to pull together, like 1995 again.

Sorry but your attitude of we are ok so leave us alone is part of what’s wrong with the sport today.

No one league is ok at all. The CL doesn’t play out to crowds of people (ask Workington and probably at least half of the current teams who have been mentioning poor crowd numbers for many a season now), CL tracks aren’t any better prepared or undoctored either, CL don’t prepare tracks to suit the home riders??? Of course they do.

The only valid point you make is regards to the amount of double fixtures and triple with the season opener competition. It doesn’t happen in the European leagues who function fine with 8-10 teams.

As I previously pointed out only a radical address of the current situation of ALL leagues will potentially address the decline and if it means one big league then so be it.

Also to add I’m a fan of the top flight and wish to see it made stronger not weaker. Only a stronger league would bring the fans back to the top flight however that’s about as remote as it gets and hence why my attendance has waned also.

On a separate note where do you get Birmingham being a team that might not be back in 2020? You must be the only person I know that has seen that as a possibility. Birmingham, like the Isle of Wight have a very customer friendly fans first approach that’s working well for the club and whilst it was a huge gamble for the club to move up I’ve not seen any news that this might be a one off season. 

Sheffield I get because it’s been put up for sale.

Never before have all leagues and promotions needed to work together to save the sport than now. They must all do the right thing to save the sport. This my league is ok nonsense has caused some of the issues we are now faced with.

4 hours ago, stevebrum said:

Sorry but your attitude of we are ok so leave us alone is part of what’s wrong with the sport today.

Its what has been wrong with the sport for decades, its just that those in officialdom have viewed the top league as being British speedway, the other tiers being an afterthought.

Also to add I’m a fan of the top flight and wish to see it made stronger not weaker. Only a stronger league would bring the fans back to the top flight however that’s about as remote as it gets and hence why my attendance has waned also.

I'm a fan of the second tier and to make the top tier look strong in 2019, degrees of separation were built in to differentiate the product of PL and CL, purposefully weakening the CL with 4.5 points taken off the team building limit and a introducing a proliferation of 2 pointers, many of whom are not ready for it and detract from the racing experience. Again the CL this year is a legacy of the decision to protect the PL at all costs. 

On a separate note where do you get Birmingham being a team that might not be back in 2020? You must be the only person I know that has seen that as a possibility. Birmingham, like the Isle of Wight have a very customer friendly fans first approach that’s working well for the club and whilst it was a huge gamble for the club to move up I’ve not seen any news that this might be a one off season. 

Might not be back in the CL but return to the NL IMO. Brum are struggling in an already diluted CL and have been largely uncompetitive, making change after change in a desperate bid to win meetings at home, cover for injuries and avoid the wooden spoon. When being beaten on the road their TM isn't even using the TS ride to keep wage costs down. They have probably cut their cloth however needed to be strong from the start rather than go with a few mediocre riders. Naturally it would be good if they were to continue in the CL next year, get a bit of better luck and make better choices having learned from a tough first year. I agree, excellent fans, as experienced first hand earlier this month.

Never before have all leagues and promotions needed to work together to save the sport than now. They must all do the right thing to save the sport. This my league is ok nonsense has caused some of the issues we are now faced with.

Agree, work together is the answer, but the historic precedent is the top league first, and nothing suggests that culture will change.

Edited by MD

Came here expecting to read some Robins news.

• Like 4
  • Haha 1

4 hours ago, MD said:

Its what has been wrong with the sport for decades, its just that those in officialdom have viewed the top league as being British speedway, the other tiers being an afterthought.

I'm a fan of the second tier and to make the top tier look strong in 2019, degrees of separation were built in to differentiate the product of PL and CL, purposefully weakening the CL with 4.5 points taken off the team building limit and a introducing a proliferation of 2 pointers, many of whom are not ready for it and detract from the racing experience. Again the CL this year is a legacy of the decision to protect the PL at all costs. 

Might not be back in the CL but return to the NL IMO. Brum are struggling in an already diluted CL and have been largely uncompetitive, making change after change in a desperate bid to win meetings at home, cover for injuries and avoid the wooden spoon. When being beaten on the road their TM isn't even using the TS ride to keep wage costs down. They have probably cut their cloth however needed to be strong from the start rather than go with a few mediocre riders. Naturally it would be good if they were to continue in the CL next year, get a bit of better luck and make better choices having learned from a tough first year. I agree, excellent fans, as experienced first hand earlier this month.

Agree, work together is the answer, but the historic precedent is the top league first, and nothing suggests that culture will change.

1. Top flights of all European leagues are the pinnacle of competition. As they should be. 2nd division racing (which is what we are talking about here) is never meant to be given equal billing. Decisions are made during every close season that the lower tiers have influence over and I’m sure exert their own power.

2. I fall to see how sensible decisions made to ensure the next generation of kids get the right pathway by starting in the CL and not the PL is protecting the PL.

3. I work at Brum so I don’t share those views. I hope they survive and if any club deserves it they do. They aren’t cast adrift at the bottom of the table and have been top 6 during a purple spell. 

4. We at least agree on the last thing! Making British speedway survive is the only important thing the promoters should be concerned about right now. If it was only one big league it will be targeted as the top flight because that’s good marketing and totally sensible. As it should be. Like I’ve said only radical changes will see a change in the status quo, and I hope those running the sport make the right decision even if it’s a difficult one and ALL parties involved agree.

I'm off to see Swindon against the Wolves next Thursday. 

Do you have to pay separately for the programme if you buy tickets at the track as it comes with your ticket buying via the website?

What are the parking facilities like near by and do you have to pay?

Can you take your own food and drink into the stadium?

I'm stopping at a local holiday inn a few miles away, looking forward to my first meeting at the Swindon track seeing the Wolves lads ride.

1 hour ago, ellioth4 said:

Do you have to pay separately for the programme if you buy tickets at the track as it comes with your ticket buying via the website?

I'm stopping at a local holiday inn a few miles away, looking forward to my first meeting at the Swindon track seeing the Wolves lads ride.

Parking for about 1000 cars..1.50. Get there by 7 for decent space. Cannot take alcohol in..but food n drink is ok. Prog 3 quid..18 quid admission.

3 hours ago, ellioth4 said:

Stopped at the Premier Inn across the road from the track the night we won the league there in 2009. What a noisey and wild night that was. Great memories.

That was the locals leaving the Cold Harbour Pub Steve. They are hardy souls and have no interest in speedway :)

1 hour ago, EnglishRoundabout said:

That was the locals leaving the Cold Harbour Pub Steve. They are hardy souls and have no interest in speedway :)

I was referring to the Wolves riders and crew who were all booked in. I had a tip off so booked as well!

4 hours ago, auntie doris said:

Parking for about 1000 cars..1.50. Get there by 7 for decent space. Cannot take alcohol in..but food n drink is ok. Prog 3 quid..18 quid admission.

Thank you for this info. Looking forward to next week. 3 meetings to attend in one week.

20 hours ago, stevebrum said:

Stopped at the Premier Inn across the road from the track the night we won the league there in 2009. What a noisey and wild night that was. Great memories.

Hundreds of Wolves fans turned up for that one, couldnt have been more than 50 though for the last final in 2017. How speedway numbers have fallen in last 10 years.

58 minutes ago, auntie doris said:

Hundreds of Wolves fans turned up for that one, couldnt have been more than 50 though for the last final in 2017. How speedway numbers have fallen in last 10 years.

Yes I agree. I think we owned a fair chunk of that 2nd bend that night. 

17 minutes ago, stevebrum said:

Yes I agree. I think we owned a fair chunk of that 2nd bend that night. 

Yeah, I think it was your groans that caused PK to fall off in heat 13 when he and Freddie were about to be 5-1’d!